• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Phone call from RBoS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

i sent the letter to my local branch of RBoS in Edinburgh requesting last 6 years statements, got standard reply - will cost £10. i didn't do a thing, didn't pay, then two weeks later 6 years worth of statements turn up having been sent from Natwest!?

i thought i might have been due about £1000 back but if was close to £3000 when i totalled it up.

i then sent the first letter requesting payment to my branch and the manager called me up on wednesday wanting me to go in and discuss it, they seemed quite keen to discuss it offering to come to my work, home or in any other branch of RBoS.

has anyone else had this response? do i discuss it with the manager? are they likely to want to make an offer or just try to talk me out of it??? if i decide not to discuss it with her what happens next? do i wait for the 14 days or do i send the next letter if i get a negative response?

Thanks,

If you just have a personal account (ie not a business one or high income "premium") then remember the branch manager is only allowed to authorise up to a set amount (£50 i think)

It's probably not worth meeting the branch manager on these grounds so i'd thank them for the offer but ask for your concern to gets passed to someone with authority to deal with a refund of this magnitude.

(Yes I work for a bank but am here to help! Please be nice to me! :))

But if it were to end up in Court could they (the Bank) not argue that ZootHornRollo refused a request to discuss the matter?

Personally, I wold entertain them and then get it all in writing. We all know that their response would be "unsatisfactory" so it would be beneficial in the long run as their letter could be used as evidence if/when the case ends up at court.

I would not go.

Tell them you require all communication in writing (it does state this in the prelim letter)

It would not affect the court case (not that it will get to court as you know) as the claimant has not refused to discuss the matter, the claimant has requested that all communication be done by letter. It is perfectly acceptable to refuse a meeting with the bank.

Good luck and keep us posted. x

It looks like i'll be turning down their offer then.

I got another phone call on Friday from the Branch manager telling me that she has now passed the letter onto her area manager and is waiting to hear back from them before proceeding.

Thanks for your help.

Almost certainly they will just try to threaten or sidetrack your action. You are entitled to request that any "negotiation", or "discussion" of the matter be made in writing. No court would hold that against you, indeed they would see it as sensible, as there would be a record of what was said.

The only time I would advise talking is where the account has been held for a long period of time, the claim is for a small amount, and the account has not had too many problems. In these circumstances a local manager might be able to resolve the issue - otherwise it is a complete waste of time.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Exactly the same thing has happened to me, I got the standard letter back from RBoS asking for a tenner to provide the information, then lo and behold the statements have come through today without me having to pay up.

The problem I have is that although they have provided the statements, this isn't exactly what I have asked for, I used some of the templates etc and asked for a breakdown of all charges, and any information thay may have with regard to 'manual intervention' - this of course hasn't arrived, I now intend to push them for the money and will be sending my letter off tomorrow, but does anybody know if I can do this whilst still persuing them for the manual intervention stuff, I know that they have posted a default notice on me and more than anything want this removing because of the adverse effect this is having on my credit rating.

Would really appreciate any help on this one, also I live in England but have registered my grievance with head office in Edinburgh as my local branch just ignored the initial DPA request does this matter ?

cheers

PS my total charges for the past 6 years have been £4750.85 !!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

I heard nothing more from RBOS and have sent the letter before action.

Yesterday i recieved a letter offering me £300 as a gesture of good will as full and final settlement of all claims regarding bank charges. do i need to reply to this or does my letter before action still stand even tho they have made an offer?

I would write and thank them for the offer which you accept as an interim payment, but you will be continuing with your action for the full amount of your claim.

If the LBA is nearly out of time, I would give them a few days extra but inform them that if full settlement is not received in 7 days court action will commence. Otherwise stick to the date you set in the LBA.

Personally I would accept the £300 in your own words as partial settlement; making clear you are still persuing the rest. Your 14 day deadline is still exactly where it was before... file a claim on the day after.

P.S. make sure you include a clause that you reserve the right to make future claims.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I would never let any bank have my phone number, as soon as they get their hands on it - I change it. Then they can't pester you and you have to get everything in writing.

I never ever give my number to anyone, they only sell it on, even our local dry cleaners sell on customers phone numbers now.

Good luck,

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 08 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks