• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Emma Vs Halifax **WON**

emmaf01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5263 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone.

Last week I sent off my SAR for my 2 Halifax accounts. I'm at the mcol stage with Nationwide, and this has given me the confidence to go for the rest of my financial providers, past and present.

Its so nice to know that I'm not the only person to incur charges! Certain financial institutions make you feel like a leper, when in fact they are making money out of your "mistakes".

The Halifax has been the institution who has charged me the most so I'm looking forward to getting these statements. Of course, by the time I get my statements, I'll be spending New Years eve with my highlighter pens and a calculator!

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One account is in credit, the other (my old and much abused student account) is about £2K overdrawn. I haven't had much activity in the first since about 2002. The other hasn't been in much use (apart from payments to slightly reduce the debt) since 1997-8. I've got to wait and see what they come back with in response to the SAR.

Whatever I get can get back, is a plus.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

• 2 weeks later...

So, last month (20/11) I sent off my SAR. No response until today when I got a letter apologising for the delay, that my statements for the last six years would be with me shortly and that all of the letters/charges require no manual intervention and are all automatically issued.

Isn't that proving that the charges they are applying are illegal before we even start?

I wonder if by admitting this at the beginning we can shorten the process. Or more likely give me a bigger laugh if they try to refute it later.

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Probably the latter! Regardless, at least you should have your statements shortly.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

We got our statements dead on the 40 days!

Barclays

Settled in full 13/09/06 after LBA (£115.00):D

Nationwide

LBA sent 13/09/06 - Response 04/10/06.

Moneyclaim submitted 04/10/06.

Won (settled in full) 19/10/06. (£748.00):D

Halifax

S.A.R sent 05/10/06.

Prelim sent 14/11/06.

LBA sent 28/11/06.

Offer rejection sent 30/11/06.

GE Capital

S.A.R sent 25/10/06 on behalf of sister.

Incomplete statements sent.

Barclaycard

Prelim letter sent 30/11/06

Barclaycard agree to pay difference between charges and 12 pound OFT charge suggestion. Accepted £64.00 06/12/06.

Well, statements for one account arrived today. !9 days- must be a record!

I am doing the prelim letter, but also looking at the spreadsheets. For the nationwide I did statutory interest (I was scared).

Witht this I want to use contractual. Now I have read through as many posts and faqs as I can locate, I've got the spreadsheet down but I don't know what the hell I'm doing!

Is the contractual rate the same as the unauthorised overdraft rate?

Do I change the 8% to 29.8%?

Argh!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

I have just received the statement from my second (and incredibly overdrawn) account. No charges on that. I am a bit worried as this is more overdrawn than I remember, not having received statements or any correspondance fron them about this account for 5 or so years. All the charges on this account took place up to 1998. So I have no info on them (statement only went back to 2001).

Even if I go back to the account with charges in the last 6 years and add basic contractual interest it covers less than a third of the overdraft on the other account.

I don't know what I am doing and am getting into a right tiz over this!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Argh! I'm getting really wound up over this!

I've already been through the process (and won) with Nationwide. But I only did statutory interest on that.

I've been shafted repeatedly by the Halifax, and so going for contractual compound interest would be preferable- I just can't get my head around the (wonderfully put together by the mighty Vampiress) spreadsheet.

If I'm claiming this sort of interest, do I have to get my spreadsheet together and numbers before the prelim letter, or just put the charges on alone?

Help!!!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Thank you for all help!

Finally got my head into gear. I think I just needed time to get my focus back.

And thanks to this site full of lovely people, I got what I needed.

So, prelim for one halifax account done.

And DPA non-compliance letter done for both, as I only got info from 2000 for one and 2001 for the really overdrawn one.

I feel so much better now!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

• 4 weeks later...

Still waiting. Now I've got to wait until I've paid my card bill before I can mcol.

I've also got to follow up on the dpa non-compliance as well.

I don't want to have to go to court- can I first refer it to the information comissioner?

I'm going to have to get back on this next week!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

I was forced by Halifax to issue a claim for non-compliance with the Data Protection Act. They sent me my statements going back to 1992 as a result of the claim. It is highly unlikely that they would wish to appear in court.

However, you should issue the claim as the ICO can take up to 8 weeks to complete their investigation into your complaint. A DPA claim for non-compliance cannot be done via MCOL, you will need to use an N1 form. The information regarding how to complete that can be found here.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/6971-data-protection-act-non.html

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

I've got my Info Com complaints form- I haven't got much time at the mo (sick toddler) so I'm doing that before resorting to the court.

Should I still mcol for the charges from 2000, and leave anything else for a separate claim once I've got the info?

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Emma, I chose to begin a claim against them as they did not send me the statements. I view of the fact that you may be waiting some time, I'd be inclinded to get started on the charges that you can prove right away.

• 3 weeks later...

So- today I received a lovely letter from the Halifax offering me £168 to shut up and go away.

I think they've been lulled into a false sense of security because I haven't made it to my local court to put in my 3 N1 forms- 2 for non-compliance for dpa and one for bank charges totalling £703 including contractual interest- plus £10 sar costs.

I think that's a no then!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

So, on this letter they sent me, they asked me to call if their offer was not acceptable. So, after I had written the letter saying "no thanks" to their minute offer- which did not even cover the charges taken, I thought I'd ring to see what they would say.

Well, that was an insight into their thinking. I found out they only offer a refund of charges within six years of the complaint reaching their specific office. This means that although my SAR was in November and my prelim in december, they only got my complaint through to them on February 1st- so will only refund charges from February 2001. Errm?

I asked them why they ask me to call if their offer was unacceptable, if they would not change/increase their offer if I was unhappy with it. They just said they had no authorisation to offer more.

After I got off the phone, my child unfortunately heard a phrase I hope he never repeats!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

• 2 weeks later...

Claim issued on MCOL yesterday!

I've only gone for statutory interest, due to conflicting info on the contractual at present.

However, I'm interested in the DPA non-compliance claim you've made, Hagenuk. I've looked at the particulars of claim (in the templates), But I'm confused about the damages aspect- what sort of things do you count as damages in this sort of claim?

I've sent them a nasty ish letter regarding this today- with much help from Tanzarelli's letters to the Barclays-monster! And also asked them to produce signed contracts as per Consumer Credit Act 1974!

I hope it all helps to get them a) to give me my money back, and b) not to play nasty with regard to my old student account- a nightmare of student mismanagement!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Emma, my point 6 on the PoC for the DPA non-compliance claim read as follows.

6. The damage caused is:

Extra costs incurred in addition to court costs, due to the Defendants failure to comply - this includes the cost of additional correspondence and time spent preparing documents and seeking legal advice, I estimate this cost to be £30

They sent me a cheque along with my statements.

Funnily enough, they have agreed to send the missing statements out today!

Odd- they've seen I'm serious about court action, so they'll concede on the DPA.

Also- I found out they closed my student account in 2003- first I had heard about it.

What does this mean for my refund from the other account? I thought because I had two open- one in the black and one in the red, they would shift any refund on to the overdrawn account- will I get a cheque now- or what??

Anyone got any ideas?

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

So, I got my statements from the start of my account today (less than 24 hours and back to 1994!)- and I've got another £100 of charges- all 1998 to 2000. But I've also received the MCOL infor for my claim.

Should I add them to this or clear this and start again with a separate claim for them, doing a new prelim etc?

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Anyone got any idea whether I should/can add these to my existing claim- it adds £100 in charges and another £64 in statutory interest?

Any advise/help appreciated!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

If you have already filed your claim then you cannot add any new charges to it without filing an amended claim. This will mean filing an N244 Application Notice which will cost £35 and this fee is not recoverable. Further, you will also exerience delays of several weeks while the court considers your amendment.

I would continue with your existing claim as is and if you wish to pursue these additional charges, then make a second claim.