Reclaiming charges for crummy insurance sold over the phone?

Guest mattbee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6358 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest mattbee

Hi there, I've recently noticed my wife has been paying out £6 per month (ish) for useless income protection insurance which she "agreed" to over the phone a couple of years back. I don't believe she ever received any documentation about this other than a sheet of A4 saying "thanks for signing up", and she certainly didn't sign anything - nevertheless the charges keep coming.

Now I'm going to try to help her reclaim the money from this pointless policy and think it was mis-sold since when she signed up she was either student (so no income to protect) or a civil servant (with massively generous sickness & injury benefits anyway). I think she has paid out around £150 or so.

Has anybody got any pointers as to the legality or otherwise of this method of selling, and how to fight it retrospectively? I think it stinks that banks & card companies will pass all your payment details on to a third party so that they can start billing you continuously with just a "well ok then" over the phone. I might start by asking for proof that she agreed to the policy in the first place, but even so I think the policy was never suitable for her, and they never checked this.

Any tips would be appreciated.