Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder rita777 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Sep 2008

Default Tax credit Overpayment .. PLS Advise

Hello,

Your advise is needed pls..
    I Was receiving the chidcare costs, My Son had to stop the Nursery last year July 2016 because he fell very ill and had been in and out of the Great Ormond Strreet Hospital with lots of surgeries, His Consultant also advised that he stays at home away from viruses . I am a single Mum , My work suffered as I can not work as I used to , So relied on the childcare as income to sustain myself amd 3 young kids. I have Never been on Benefits from the DWP so don't even understand the process, besides the thought of being on "Benefits" via DWP makes me feel low self esteemed. as I never bargained to be in this situation, Always been working.

This year June 2017 I got a letter to provide last year Nursery payment evidence, So i called and told them that My son stopped the Nursery this year March 2017 as opposed to last year July 2016. But they called the Nursery and the Nursery told them the actual date. I know I was WRONG .. but we just had to survive My son has been very ill , I have had to look after him , not being able to work as such, being self employed.

The payment has drastically reduced.. Now because I am too ashamed/scared to call them , return their calls I got a letter that they are investigating and I might have to pay back all overpaymenticon and also be liable for a fine.

Please advise.. as i do not know how to handle this.

Basic Account Holder London1971 Novitiate London1971 Novitiate

Cagger since : May 2017

Default Re: Tax credit Overpayment .. PLS Advise

Right,

Quick question. Are you still receiving Tax Credits?

Thanks a lot !Yes .. I am .. but they stopped the childcare element immediately I Called them in June this year, but they have reduced it all again last week .. I don't even know if it's working , child tax credit or both combined that they are now paying..it s just drastically reduced

Ok, I think you need to call them and ask them why. I suspect they are repaying what you owe them by taking from your current entitlement, hence the reduction. This is always their preferred option for them to reclaim overpayments. It's only when you are no longer entitled to Tax Credits when you get the scary demand to repay coming through the letterbox.

Give them a call, let me know if this is the case. Then it all comes down to whether you are ok financially with this reduction? I would say you have pretty good grounds for an appeal if you are not.. due to your son's illness at the time. There is an established procedure for making an appeal..

Also I only know about the Tax credit side of things because I have fought and won my overpaymenticon appeal. I think you need to put pride on the back burner and see what other benefits you are entitled to ! Remember you have paid taxes all your life for times like this .. so don't feel bad.

Thanks a lot ..
    I just need to reset my mind I think .. I m from a family background where going to dwp is like breaking the 1st and last family rule ! not even Job seekers allowance ..
    The Great Ormond actually game me a booklet of information on Disability living allowance when it all started last year, this year my son had another major surgery an was in intensive care for a month, a couple of months ago His health visitor offered to help with the DLA She Told me that people in my situation are actually the ones who qualify.. but I was just adamant ..

Thanks a lot this is a light bulb moment for me .. so will the Dwp work out and backdate to repay the tax credit ..?
    yes I am still very cash poor , my son has just had another airway reconstruction.. reason why I m still weak in all ways ..

Give them a call tomorrow, find out what is going on with your current payment first of all. As I said I think they are clawing back the money already by reducing your payments. Let me know what they say

If this is the case it will continue indefinitely until the backlog is paid off.

Alternatively,, it's likely you could get the full payment re instated due to your circumstances. Don't waste any time, look into the DLA, and any other benefits that may apply to you. What matters is feeding your family and paying the heating bill. Not what someone might think of you.

What happened with this?

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details