rota to include 2 hour meetings

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2433 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The staff at my place of work (local government - care work) have been told our hours (not the amount but the days and start -

finish times) are going to be changed. We currently have a 4 week rota and our place is open 7 days a week.

The new rota is going to have ALL staff in for 2 hours on a Friday for a staff meeting - every week.

I currently work full-time but don't work Friday as that's my day off.

My question is can you rota staff to come in for two hours on a day that is supposed to be their day off? Asking staff to come in for two hours stops them from picking up hours with other employers (so of the staff work for 2 or 3 different companies).

Thanks for your help.

The staff at my place of work (local government - care work) have been told our hours (not the amount but the days and start -

finish times) are going to be changed. We currently have a 4 week rota and our place is open 7 days a week.

The new rota is going to have ALL staff in for 2 hours on a Friday for a staff meeting - every week.

I currently work full-time but don't work Friday as that's my day off.

My question is can you rota staff to come in for two hours on a day that is supposed to be their day off? Asking staff to come in for two hours stops them from picking up hours with other employers (so of the staff work for 2 or 3 different companies).

Thanks for your help.

If they require you to attend a meeting on a Friday, they need to include you on a Friday work rota. Unreasonable to expect you to attend a regular staff meeting on a day you have rostered off.

Go back to your line manager and if necessary get them to confirm the contract position with HR in writing to you.

I am sure this will be resolved and your staff meeting will be on another day when you are rostered. Other staff will have the same issue.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

if they rota you in, then it is considered a day in work. They must, by law, give you two days off within a certain period. Have they said if they are going to change your day off?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thank you for your replies.

What is being proposed is that some staff with be working early plus a staff meeting, some with attending the staff meeting plus working a late shift and some staff will be in for two hours only (me and some others).

Are you saying they can only rota me to attend if i have a full shift? If this is correct what is there in law to back this up?

They are saying that if the two hours are part of your contracted hours they can ask you to come in for two hours only (we work 8 hours shifts normally).

Thank you for your replies.

What is being proposed is that some staff with be working early plus a staff meeting, some with attending the staff meeting plus working a late shift and some staff will be in for two hours only (me and some others).

Are you saying they can only rota me to attend if i have a full shift? If this is correct what is there in law to back this up?

They are saying that if the two hours are part of your contracted hours they can ask you to come in for two hours only (we work 8 hours shifts normally).

Well that is different. If they include 2 hours on a Friday as part of your contracted hours and your contract allows them to do this, provided reasonable notice is given, then you have do this. It might be really important for the business in caring for people to ensure that all staff are given important information at the same time.

Suggest you refer back to the employment contract you were given and see what it says.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

All the staff are being given a new rota so that all staff will be in the building for at least two hours on a Friday.

They are quoting "business needs" to every query.

I can't see that your employer is doing anything wrong, provided it is part of your hours and the contract of employment allows this change in working hours, which it probably would do.

If those two hour meetings stop me working elsewhere and losing money (i also work for an agency 3/4 Fridays on average) that's not an issue? That's about 3k a year.

That is not your primary employers problem. With the agency work, you would have to adjust your time availability, so there is no clash.

If your emplyment contract says you have to work a rota system but get 2 clear days off a week then that is that, they cant change those terms. Have they indicated what day they are knocking 2 hours off yet? The devil is in the detail of your epmloyment contract

If your emplyment contract says you have to work a rota system but get 2 clear days off a week then that is that, they cant change those terms. Have they indicated what day they are knocking 2 hours off yet? The devil is in the detail of your epmloyment contract

They have said they're knocking it off 1/2 hour per day (starting 30 mins later).

I'm now getting 2 days off instead of 3.

I'm struggling financially already and losing 3k may be the final nail in the coffin. I need to pay my mortgage.

If it snot in your contract they cannot change the amount of days off or what they are, if they are set in that contract. They can only change it if you agree to it.

Are you a member of a union?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

I have been told that if i do not agree to come in on Fridays they will use "business needs" as the reason why i have to. My contract says how many hours i work it does not state over how many days. Our place is open 7 days a week. I changed to 4 days a week 2 years ago but this is not in writing anywhere.

I've contacted my union and they are next to useless.

I'm concerned i will lose my house if i cannot pay the mortgage.

what has the union said

And they are correct. It might be comforting to be told that that cannot change your days/ hours set in the contract - assuming that they are in fact contractual anyway, because they usually aren't in shift systems for care work - but it is also incorrect. It is very easy to change the hours of work, and they have told you exactly how they will do it. The fact that you work somewhere else is irrelevant to that - what they are proposing is entirely lawful, and if you refuse you will end up without your main job. That will definitely impact a lot worse on your income. So you must decide - accept it or you find another job. There isn't really any other options.