Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder D P Dance Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Sep 2009

Default Ripped off by Locksmith

Well not actually ripped off, I have not paid them.

I hold my hand up to being a bit slack here.
    A tenant complained of a broken lock on a patio door.
    I googled and called a locksmith in Reading without doing my usual due diligence as I am busy refurbishing two flats.

Locksmith arrives, does the job, and phones me.
    He wants £281, ask him for a v.a.t. invoice and he gets nasty, threatens to "break my door" or sit in.
    I threaten police action and he calms down, will ask office to phone me.

That afternoon he phones me, office has reduced the cost to £181 including v.a.t.
    Ask for an invoice. Invoice arrives next day for £254.00

Query this with head office, (a one man micro company), and next day they send a revised bill for £181.

I am now negotiating a further discount on the basis that, if I make a complaint to the Police about Reading locksmith's threats it could hurt their business.
    I have told him I shall be contacting Trading Standards. FWIIW,
    I found a similar complaint of this company over-charging on MSE.

I have been away from this board for some time and have forgotten the rules,
    can I name and shame?

Basic Account Holder sgtbush Novitiate

Cagger since : Jul 2012

So you asked someone to do a jb without asking how much will it be, and you get nasty about the bill.

Look at it from the locksmiths point.
    Customer phones with a job
    You do the job
    You tell customer how much
    Customer refuses to pay.
    You would get angry too.
    Your taking food out of his children's mouths.

How about you come work for me for a month and ill pay you for two weeks.

Pay the £181 and move on.

You can name and shame if you want to but remember.....

You had a choice, you employed the company's services.

Also you might feel what you wrote as a bargaining tool or leverage....
    .. A lawyer may see it as blackmail if he took you to court for non payment.

Think carefully before you act please

Default Re: Ripped off by Locksmith

It matters not if he has form.
    You empoyed his services
    You didn't do enough research on them.
    That's your fault not his.

Yes, I know all that, but his remedy is to take me to court, not threaten to "break my door" or stage a sit in. Some trades are known for overcharging, that is why TDA, SOGA, DSR, CPUTR el al were all enacted.

I regret that I find your contribution unhelpful.

Gold Account Holder BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative

Cagger since : Mar 2009

You are both wrong (you & the locksmith).
    You should have got an estimate / agreed a maximum price before he started work.

He shouldn't have threatened to break anything or sit in.
    Going to court was not his only viable and lawful option.
    He should have removed the new lock, which was still his property as you hadn't paid for it ......... and then decided if he wanted to go to court for his labour / call-out charge.

Bazza, no doubt the original poster will Say your unhelpful as well.
    People do not like it when its pointed out they are as much to blame.
    Pay the bill or he may take you to court. From what I've read he is not charging you a lot compared to others

You should have got an estimate / agreed a maximum price before he started work.

I agree, but I own several properties and am always prepared to pay a reasonable price. If people treat me fairly I reciprocate.

I would suggest, from the horrendous reviews on TrustPilot, that he does not treat people fairly. Have you ever watched "Rogue Traders"?

I would of suggested looking him up on trust pilot before employing his services.
    Shame you didn't have the foresight to practice what you have preached

Bazza, no doubt the original poster will Say your unhelpful as well.

The chances of committing such a gross grammatical error are indeed slim Mr Bush.

Pay the bill or he may take you to court

That is precisely what I am hoping for. I am no stranger to the SCC, with five wins from five appearances, I do not fancy his chances. It is time rogue traders such as he were taught a lesson.

Gold Account Holder BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative

Quote Originally Posted by D P Dance View Post
    The chances of committing such a gross grammatical error are indeed slim Mr Bush.
    I'm oft minded of the adage that "if they have to resort to criticising grammar or syntax, they've run out of substantive argument"......

I can assure you that there is much more where that came from Bazza, (substantive argument that is). I do not usually resort to grammar/spelling flames, but the Sergeant set himself for it. I rather think that he is trying to box above his weight.

He seems totally unaware of the nature of this company. Facebook, Trust Pilot and Money Saving Expert all contain damning reviews, and allegations of overcharging, surely they cannot all be wrong.

Gold Account Holder Consumer dude Informative Consumer dude Informative Consumer dude Informative Consumer dude Informative

Cagger since : Aug 2008

What are you hoping to achieve now.

If I can save few people from being cheated I shall be happy.

Gold Account Holder Consumer dude Informative Consumer dude Informative Consumer dude Informative Consumer dude Informative

Cagger since : Aug 2008

I see it like this. You asked some one to do a Job, they do the job, you don't like the price. A court might take the view that you, by accepting the work to be done, you have agreed the final invoice irrespective if you knew what the amount would be.

Site Team stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2010

Hi

What we really need clarification on is when the Locksmith called you back and informed you of the cost £281 was it mentioned as either a Quote or an Estimate as there are differences between them.

I asked for a job to be done and it was done, The plumber phoned me two hours later and demanded payment of £231 plus v.a.t.. I asked him to send me an invoice and the threats started.

I then started investigating the company and found a series of appalling reviews on Trust Pilot , Yell, Facebook, and Money Saving Expert, no doubt there are more elsewhere.

Normal behaviour in such circumstances is to attempt to resolve the situation by negotiation, failing that go to ADR, and finally, if all else fails, go to court and let a judge decide. This case is somewhat different, threats were used and there appears to be serial over-charging and breaches of the Trade Descriptions Act by the company.

The MD of the company has failed to negotiate, (I have offered him£140.00 in full and final settlement, and his reply was to threaten me with court. I have no fear of County Court, I have won five cases out of five, and have some good stuff to show the judge.

Some of you are correct in telling me what I should have done, but I did not. Wrongly I gave the company the benefit of the doubt. Mine is an honest business, and I expect the same from those companies with whom I deal. If I am cheated I use my knowledge of consumer law to obtain satisfaction.

I own several rental properties and engage plumbers, electricians, etc., several times a year. I have never encountered this sort of thing before in 40 years of trading.

Basic Account Holder SuperVillain Informative SuperVillain Informative SuperVillain Informative SuperVillain Informative SuperVillain's Avatar

Cagger since : Sep 2013

Did you pluck your figure of £140 out of the air? You were prepared to pay £181 + VAT before so why not now? Is it a hurt feelings discount you're looking for?

The way this reads now - after removing what is essentially handbags (or manbags for the sake of equality) - is that you agreed a price with them after works were carried out, they eventually invoiced you for that price and you're now refusing to pay.

I asked for a job to be done and it was done, The plumber phoned me two hours later and demanded payment of £231 plus v.a.t.. I asked him to send me an invoice and the threats started.
    Hang on! It started off being a locksmith, and now it's a plumber?

I googled and called a locksmith in Reading

Locksmith arrives, does the job, and phones me.
    I own several rental properties and engage plumbers, electricians, etc., several times a year. I have never encountered this sort of thing before in 40 years of trading.
    I've never encountered (in my 40+ years) a locksmith morphing into a plumber 2+ days later either....

You are being naughty, I mentioned plumbers as an analogy.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details