Bought new car:Sluggish so want refund?

Buel10
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2411 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

A friend of mine bought a second hand car from a car dealer last Friday (4th) after taking it for a test drive. Unfortunately, the more he has driven it, the more he realises that the performance is not what he thought it would be.

Can he take the car back and get his money back?

Thank you, all.

Hi all.

A friend of mine bought a second hand car from a car dealer last Friday (4th) after taking it for a test drive. Unfortunately, the more he has driven it, the more he realises that the performance is not what he thought it would be.

Can he take the car back and get his money back?

Thank you, all.

Not at the moment. If there is a fault with the car, he needs to give the garage a chance to have a look at it and fix. There might be a number of reasons for performance issues.

In some cars, if the fuel level is below a certain level, the engine management system reduces performance to extend range left. So it might not be a fault. Or the car is just not living up to expectations and there is nothing wrong with it.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you.

Regarding giving the garage chance to have a look and fix it, I've just read this, is this correct:

The Consumer Rights Act 2015, which replaces the Sale of Goods Act next month, allows consumers to ask for a full refund in the first 30 days of buying any product that subsequently turns out to be faulty - including cars.

This legislation, known as the 'early right to reject', replaces the previous requirement for retailers to only repair or replace a faulty item or part, rather than the entire product.

No.

I think your friend has just decided they don't like the car.

If they want to prove a fault, take it to a garage where performance can be checked. Does not cost too much.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Interesting stuff off the Which site:

If something you buy is not as described, or the seller is guilty of misrepresentation, you're entitled to:

give the second-hand car back and get your money back

ask for compensation if you want to keep the car (usually the cost of any repairs it needs).

Also find out the engine type. They run from a 1.2 l 3 cylinder petrol which could struggle with 4 reasonably sized passengers, to a grunty diesel that should perform well.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

I have the same make and model from Dec 2015 with 14k miles on the clock. If it is from 2015, it is still under the manufacturers warranty of 3yrs-unlimited mileage. Qne thing to note; if it is the diesel version, make sure that there is sufficient AdBlue (fuel additive - google Adblue). This needs to be topped up from time to time and the refill tank is in the boot under the spare wheel.

Not sure why Peugeot would be interested. Someone bought a car, they decided they did not like after driving it for awhile.

If the performance of the car is within the general range Peugeot state in their details for the car and there are no faults, then there is no reason for a Peugeot dealer to offer refund or exchange.

The advice is to get the car checked for any faults by another garage and if there are any faults, then there is more leaverage with the Peugeot dealer.

I think your friend is approaching this issue in the wrong way. He "feels" the car is sluggish. Why not just return it to where it was purchased and ask them nicely to investigate the problem. Talking about the Consumer Rights Act with a view to returning the vehicle or calling the manufacturers press office is a wee bit premature in my view.

Your friend was offered a test drive, accepted and then decided to buy the car. If a key factor in that decision was the car's performance with 4 people in it, why didn't he test drive it with 4 people in it?

As far as I can tell from your post you don't actually allege a technical fault with the car, only that it doesn't have the performance expected. I can't imagine how that's the garage/sales person's fault.

There is no way the salesman could know how heavy any potential passengers are anyway, so any comment on how well a car will perform laden with people is pointless. Then there's Ganymede's point; is 'fine' to you different in comparison to my definition of 'fine'?