Do hard disks come under consumer rights act 2015 6 year rule?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

UPDATE: Seagate said they would replace the drives and recommended iron wolf drives for raid and servers

Excellent

But your description of the raid use - simply as a resilient 18TB raid 10 store for a few million personal family pictures shouldn't tax any drive.

:-D

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

Excellent

But your description of the raid use - simply as a resilient 18TB raid 10 store for a few million personal family pictures shouldn't tax any drive.

:-D

It's not even 2TB full, slight overkill. When I built it I had a 5 year plan in mind, remember only 8.18TB is usable. It gets used for the CCTV system recording, forex, bitcoin and dropbox.

Nothing like heavy use.

It's not even 2TB full, slight overkill. When I built it I had a 5 year plan in mind, remember only 8.18TB is usable. It gets used for the CCTV system recording, forex, bitcoin and dropbox.

Nothing like heavy use.

I would seriously consider not relying on the safety of your photos on those with data streaming to them even with the 100% redundancy.

I've seen a number of these drives just die without warning despite full smart monitoring.

The linked report shows they had drives fail, then other drives fail when the extra load of rebuilding is put on them.

They backed up elsewhere BEFORE rebuilding

Perhaps consider splitting them into 2 separate sets even if you need to buy a (quite cheap) second controller:

2 * mirrored drives for piccies etc giving you

4 * 1+0 for the heavy i/o streamed data (

Have you asked if you can pay the extra for upgraded drives rather than simple replacement - perhaps away from the 3TB size? to 4TB maybe preferred?

I know it seems daft to think that stuff on RAID 1+0 is not safe but if nothing else perhaps consider a small external (maybe Hitachi) usb hdd JUST for copies of your irreplaceable pictures if you aren't trusting a cloud service. They are very cheap.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

Interestingly it was the mirror drive of the 1st that failed 2nd.

My plan is to back up on to the drives they send me as replacements and remove them from the machine, I have a hard drive toaster I can use for periodical backup of my backed up machine :D