Motor Insurance Bureau advice please

Swiftorious
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2443 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend of mine has been contacted by the Motor Insurance Bureau via snail mail with a letter claiming that she was involved in a accident in December of last year regarding an Uninsured Drivers Agreement.

The letter reads

"We have been approached, in our capacity as the national Guarantee Fund, as we provide compensation to victims under the above agreement.

We are sorry for troubling you, however we believe you were the registered keeper of the above vehicle at the time of the accident. Please can you help identify the insurer who covered the vehicle. by phoning us to provide their name, address and policy number?

If you sold or disposed of the vehicle prior to the accident. please advise the name and address of the new owner, together with a time and date the vehicle changed hands.

You can also use the Freepost address below if you are unable to contact us by phone."

Does any body have experience dealing with the MIB, as my friend assures me that she was indeed insured on the date mentioned and that she was no where near the location that is stated in the letter for where this 'accident' supposedly occurred,

she hasn't been involved in any accidents since purchasing this vehicle and has asked me for assistance for what she should do next.

If any one could give me any advice for her it would be greatly appreciated.

Might just be an error if she has not been involved in any accident at the location.

Suggest she writes back saying that she disputes having been in an accident at the location stated and that had she been involved in any accident at any time it would have been reported to the Insurers under the policy terms.

Advise the MIB to provide full details of the allegation made by the third party,

including details of the vehicle they had the accident with e.g make/model/colour, description of the driver, date/time and exact location, any witness statements minus personal data and any dash cam or photos taken at the time of accident.

Advise that it seems a mistake has been made in identifying the vehicle/driver they had the accident with and providing full information would help resolve the matter.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

A friend of mine has been contacted by the Motor Insurance Bureau via snail mail with a letter claiming that she was involved in a accident in December of last year regarding an Uninsured Drivers Agreement.

This suggests that her insurers haven't correctly updated the Motor Insurance Database with her policy details.

If the policy she had in December has now ended I don't see that it would be a major issue, however if she's currently driving under this policy there's a chance her vehicle may still be showing as uninsured.

She can check here to see if she has any concerns as to whether it's showing insured today: https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

This suggests that her insurers haven't correctly updated the Motor Insurance Database with her policy details.

If the policy she had in December has now ended I don't see that it would be a major issue, however if she's currently driving under this policy there's a chance her vehicle may still be showing as uninsured.

She can check here to see if she has any concerns as to whether it's showing insured today: https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Good shout. The friend should make sure they had continuous insurance just in case this third party has proof of them being involved in an accident.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

This struck me when I read the OP.

The communications would normally be through the Insurers of the vehicle and the fact that the MID are writing to the registered keeper would indicate there is a problem somewhere along the line

This struck me when I read the OP.

The communications would normally be through the Insurers of the vehicle and the fact that the MID are writing to the registered keeper would indicate there is a problem somewhere along the line

Exactly what I thought.

But UBs advice is still the way to go I think. If she goes kicking off to her insurers she might end up with an open claim against her policy - not great if it's a mistaken identity issue - which could cause issues at renewal time if still unresolved.

Best to see what info you can get out of the MIB and if mistaken identity can be established and this potential claim nipped in the bud, then OPs friend can go to her insurers afterwards about the MID issue.