Lowell - Vodafone debt from 2011

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2471 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

My wife had a Vodafone account back in 2010 which she stopped paying in April 2011 as she couldn't get access to her online billing. Vodafone were debiting various amounts via direct debit and despite numerous requests to Vodafone she was never able to gain access to her online account or get paper bills but they kept saying they had fixed it but never did (it was a well known problem for many Vodafone customers at the time!)

In recent months, she has been getting standard letters from Lowell asking for payment. The most recent letter was prefixed with "Pre Legal Assessment" in green writing at the top.

The first line of the letter says "Your Vodafone account is still unpaid"

It still seems an ordinary letter but just a little different enough to ask questions!

There is no sign of a default registered on her credit files with either Noddle or Clearscore.

My query; Is this debt "owned" by Lowell ? ( I don't recall ever seeing a letter of assignment to Lowell) or are they just chasing on behalf of Vodafone ?

Given that the last payment to Vodafone was in April 2011 - Is this now statute Barred ? If so should we send a SB letter to Lowell ?

Many thanks

its SB'd

but if the letter doesn't threaten court then they are doing nothing wrong

in England & wales they can ASK for payment as all SB does is removes enforcement of any judgement so they don't bother.

did she take this voda account out at her present address?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

DX Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply :-)

I understand that they can ask and the letter isn't really threatening anything as yet!

No, the original agreement was taken out at a previous address (she had to move a few times before we got together due to an abusive ex) , Does this make a difference ?

Many thanks

yes it does

as they can quite legally issue a claimform and get a default judgement at the old address even if the debt IS SB'd.

i'm not a fan of letter tennis with powerless DCA's

they are NOT BAILIFFS

but in this instance fire our SB letter off to them.

debt collection section of the library I think

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks DX, SB letter already created and ready to go :-)

More than a bit sneaky to be able to issue a claimform to an old address- especially as they are communicating to the current address me thinks!

Thank you for the advice

no they aren't communicating with you

they are phishing letters.

if no response is given & the debtor has not officially written to the old original creditor/previous debt owner or the debt buyer with their new address, which is a must in todays climate.

you leave yourself open to a quite legitimate CCJ

dx

and they

Good advice from DX, I would check also credit files, Their pre legal phishing letter if ignored could well lead to a naughty backdoor default CCJ at her old address, that is one of Lowell's modus operandi, so the SB letter is essential.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!