• Tweets

• The funds were taken by eBay, rather than Paypal.  I presume Paypal collects the funds from eBay, and so eBay then sting me for the money.   But either way, before this money was taken from my account, my eBay account balance showed as -£85.  Yes, my bank account has been debited by this amount. eBay say that they are completely removed from the chargeback process, because it is carried out by the buyer's financial institution.  So, conveniently, they cannot help, other than by refunding the chargeback fee of £14. 
    • Perfect, thanks for the detailed response. Once question, do you know how long it takes for the breathing space to get applied? Say for example I have payments due in 4 days and I apply today how does that work? Also, sorry for sounding stupid but what do you mean by default once the breathing space is in place? I mean what does "Default" mean.  After the breathing space is over and I wanted more time, what would happen? I can and will afford the payments after a few months but I just need that breather to sort some stuff out, as I have said I have never missed a payment. Sorry for the many replies but after doing a quick search, correct me if i am wrong. If it then does go into default and it goes to a collection agency am I right in saying they will send many letters and they may consider a claim? and I should only response if an official MoneyClaim is made? Also, If it does go into default does this severely affect my credit score? or will this only be in the case if a CCJ is applied.
    • there isn't one yet use the default mentioned already there. that covers all 3 debts as i assume the PAPLOC is for all 3 debts? dx  
    • a chargeback via a paypal account used in an ebay sale doesn't usually result in funds being sucked from your bank account,  just that you attain a paypal negative balance. as you saying the money was taken by paypal from your bank account without you authorising this? or is it directly the buyers name that is shown? regarding the chargeback but either way you bank account HAS been debited? dx  
    • what solicitor is the PAPLOC from? then just search xxxx snotty letter dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Electric Cars The Future-But Who Will Try To Resist-Have You Got One.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2450 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

and where is all the revenus for fuel tax going to come from to give the over paid MP / civil servants Wxxxxx salaries and not earned pensions?

Increased NI and self employed taxs on the electric white van man?

One a more serious note, when electric vehicles are in significant numbers, and peoples investment is way to high to walk away from - road tax on EV seems an obvious situation. Cant repair roads for free (not that the road tax gets used on roads)

Just like charging points free when the batteries were smaller and there were fewer electric cars to use them, but are now starting to be charged (sic)

Loss leaders

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

applying the same to you 3kw charger (comapred to the 120kw supercharger)

that would give you 18kw at best in 6 hours.

again happy to be corrected if you can tell me where I have gone wrong. My physics days are far back.

your probably right looking down that

looking at my car i have a 24kwh battery, i use about 60-70% of that on average in a day...

so about 18kwh to charge is about 6 hours

mines not run off a 3pin lead but is on a separate 32a breaker directly after the meter outside. it goes into a dedicated podpoint charging base and from there to the car...

i simply hadn't realised you were using the tesla stats (i tend to look at it based off my car sorry)

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

of course, solid oxide fuel cells will save the day. Only problem is the materials used to make them are non-stoichiometric so you cant upscale their production easily and they suffer terribly in normal traffic as they conk out when absorbing other gases so a ban on internal combustion engines is needed before you can roll them out.

Now, what about cost? At the moment there is a massive subsidy on each sale so when that is dropped how many peopel will be able to afford to buy one as a replaceemnt for their existing vehicle?

I also think that peopel will take umbrage that the worst polluting vehicles on the roads will remain because the public wont like the idea of banning fire engines and ambulances, buses etc.

Scrap the use of petroleum as fuel and 40% of all the govts tax income goes as well. then there is the increase in unemployment. The law of unintended consequences.....

want to save the planet? get rid of 2 billion people as that is the current overpopulation level but who do you allow to make the decision as to how this can be achieved

Ericsbrother

I would argue that the world is not over populated in terms of space to accommodate all people or lacks resources.

The problem is the economic system is a bust model and it is being continued as a debt bubble, as Politicians don't know how to change it.

Take a look at most of the issues and the problem is economics, not science, lack of skills or lack of human labour. There is no reason why there is insufficent housing in the UK, other than economics. Government could have built a lot of social housing around the UK and have assets on their books, while helping reduce rent costs affecting housing benefit cost.

There is no reason why UK Goverment can't facilitate companies in making the UK a leader in new vehicle technology. I suspect that UK Universities and companies have invented technology that has had to be taken up abroad, because the UK lacks investors willing to take risks.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

your probably right looking down that

looking at my car i have a 24kwh battery, i use about 60-70% of that on average in a day...

so about 18kwh to charge is about 6 hours

mines not run off a 3pin lead but is on a separate 32a breaker directly after the meter outside. it goes into a dedicated podpoint charging base and from there to the car...

i simply hadn't realised you were using the tesla stats (i tend to look at it based off my car sorry)

No problem.

90 miles from 18kw is still massively impressive and far in excess of the Tesla's supposed bleeding edge tech, which seems to need somewhere around 30kw for 90 miles, but I have seen similar strange (to my current (sic) understanding) claims regarding leaf and zeo charges from seemingly low kw power supplies (and batteries).

Any idea why a 3kw charger would need a 32A circuit straight from the meter rather than from the consumer unit? Although a dedicated circuit as with a cooker or shower makes sense - especially to a garage.

Is it 3 phase perhaps?

That might explain a number of outstanding questions I have.

(The heavier duty Tesla charger is stated as a 240v 20A circuit - way less than your 32A)

I must be missing something.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Question outstanding

If 100kw Tesla battery does 300 miles - roughly what the tests say (maybe more in ideal circumstances, less in more testing circumstances)

120kv gives half charge in 30 mins - 50kv (20% loss or 20% cant be used for the sake of simplicity) - I assume they mean the larger battery.

Looks balanced to there

1kv of battery gives about 3 miles

That gives from tesla stats (perhaps less up to 20% for charging losses - but maybe not)

For a 3kw charger - up to 3 * 3 = 9 miles per hour of charge or 7ish with 20% loss.

For a 7kw charger - up to 7 * 3 = 21 miles per hour of charge or 16ish with the 20% deducted(not the 4-5 stated in the link ??)

Note, that batteries commonly charge lots faster when near empty than when near full. So the charge taken by the battery per hour is likely very different at each end of the charging cycle.

So it may well be 4-5 miles per hour charge if the battery is already quite full

Got to this stage then did a search based on what it led me to believe

and see here

https://forums.tesla.com/en_GB/forum/forums/charging-rates-1

The Tory Legacy

thats where we strayed apart

That 32a connection is not 3kw its about 13kw

so 13 * your per kw leccy bill

or about 1.50 per hour to charge at my example 12p per kw rate.

The Tory Legacy

No problem.

90 miles from 18kw is still massively impressive and far in excess of the Tesla's supposed bleeding edge tech, which seems to need somewhere around 30kw for 90 miles, but I have seen similar strange (to my current (sic) understanding) claims regarding leaf and zeo charges from seemingly low kw power supplies (and batteries).

Any idea why a 3kw charger would need a 32A circuit straight from the meter rather than from the consumer unit? Although a dedicated circuit as with a cooker or shower makes sense - especially to a garage.

Is it 3 phase perhaps?

That might explain a number of outstanding questions I have.

(The heavier duty Tesla charger is stated as a 240v 20A circuit - way less than your 32A)

I must be missing something.

I think the breaker is 32a I might be wrong. The reason it's in a separate breaker is simply due to the issues with running a massive armoured cable through the wall when there space in an existing outside box

To be honest I am no way physics or electric minded (beyonder a bit of my own wiring anyway)

Try looking up the specs for a 3kwh pod point as thas the charger I have

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

thats what i was thinking.

was guessing that a home charge wld be like one of those normal car battery chargers that can have a 'fast' charge above the normal (trickle) charge, but still work from the plug? or is that wide, am not a sparky :)

otherwise, how much wld it cost to put a proper 'podpoint' in, wld it require a separate meter?

I read earlier that if you buy an electric car, many of the manufacturers will pay a contribution towards the home electrics work needed. It is not a cheap job to install a fast charge point.

It is related to 3 phase.

Another issue on electric cars is the cost of replacement battery. Someone was apparently quoted £6,000 to replace a battery on a Mitsubishi hybrid. They could not afford it and there was no lease deal available, so they were stuck. Is this true ? I had heard of problems, but i thought some manufacturers guaranteed the battery for the life of the car.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I think the breaker is 32a I might be wrong. The reason it's in a separate breaker is simply due to the issues with running a massive armoured cable through the wall when there space in an existing outside box

To be honest I am no way physics or electric minded (beyonder a bit of my own wiring anyway)

Try looking up the specs for a 3kwh pod point as thas the charger I have

Its been 20 years since I needed to get my head around the arcane and esoteric art of electrickery, but I'm getting back in the frame - albeit a bit reluctantly

I'll correct my errors here

The home wall socket type connection would probably be max 3.5 - 4kw (so your 3kw sounds good) although it could be put on a 32A fused circuit as could anything of lesser draw than the 32A,

and even though 3kw is within the limits of a house 3pin, but would undoubtedly be best on its own circuit for regular use.

The 'Tesla 240v 20A' circuit would be the 7.5kw (peak) charger referred in the links now I've bothered to kick my head into gear.

The superchargers 30 mins to 50wh 1/2 charge makes mathematical and logical sense if charging at 100kwh of the 120kwh available. and Teslas stats simply come out at about 1kw = 3miles which agrees.

My previous statement that the peak for a home 3 pin is 11kw is garbage. It might be a very theoretical limit,

13A (your common 13a fused plug) is a bit under 5kw at the fuse instantly blowing.

Home wall Dual sockets are rated to 20A.

Apologies to all for that complete drivel. I dont know where my head must have been - it was even telling me - theres something wrong here - what you missing?

Leaves us with the issue of 18kw (3kw * 6 hours assuming its giving 100% through the 6 hours) generating 90 miles though?

Which is 5 miles per KW compared to the latest greatest Tesla 100kw battery = 300ish miles (about 3 miles per kw)

The figures from the linked pages are all MASSIVELY contradictory despite me possibly clearing up at least some of my mistakes.

Giving me brain burn. I give up.

all calcs based on 220v

Kilowatts (Volts x Amps x PF x 1.732)/1000

pf ignored

ah - theres some error - I've used 3 phase calc

-still had enough.

The Tory Legacy

lost me there toby :)

for a layman (me);

a leccy car can be trickle charged at home via the normal plug?

a 'fast' charge via the normal plug could be poss depending on the charger (but on a separate circuit/breaker wld be preferable), but it wld cost more than a trickle charge?

a proper 'podpoint' (preferable, and no doubt the norm with new builds in the future) wld currently require significant circuitry?

lost me there toby :)

for a layman (me);

a leccy car can be trickle charged at home via the normal plug?

a 'fast' charge via the normal plug could be poss depending on the charger (but on a separate circuit/breaker wld be preferable), but it wld cost more than a trickle charge?

a proper 'podpoint' (preferable, and no doubt the norm with new builds in the future) wld currently require significant circuitry?

Found an electric vehicle forum.

https://speakev.com/threads/whats-required-for-22kw-charging.21205/

As you will see from the discussion in the link, it is quite complicated.

From what i have found out, the actual charger is fitted by the car manufacturer to the car on the production line. The chargers vary and there is often a choice to upgrade to a faster charger.

In regard to home charging, it is whether your supply is adequate for a fast charge. Most homes are not 3 phase supply equipped for say a faster charge option on a Tesla.

Most people buying an electric vehicle are going to require their home charging options reviewed by an electrician that installs the charging points. Ideally people should do this before buying an electric car.

this is going back six months so it might be my memories faulty but here's what I remember

I have 2 charging cables came with the car - a three pin and a type 2 to type 1 for charging points

one is a 3 pin socket cable, I was told this was limited to a 2kwh charge as it would not be on a dedicated socket - I guess this was down to the possibilities of overload

I don't tend to use the other cable as i had a charging point with a dedicated cable fitted

the cost of the charging point was £779

the government grant was £500

because I bought a used leaf (ex-demo) from a Nissan dealer there was an offer where Nissan paid the other £279

when I give a range of 90 miles that's based off a full battery - the 18kwh is down to me only charging about 60-70% each night as that's all I've used.

the car has a built in timer which I set to charge when my night rate is on - i pay about 7p per kwh at the moment on that so about £1.26

at this point im averaging about 50 miles a day and having about 40 miles left on the clock when i plug it in

i just nipped and checked the breaker and it doesn't seem to have any values written on it

Please note:

this is going back six months so it might be my memories faulty but here's what I remember

I have 2 charging cables came with the car - a three pin and a type 2 to type 1 for charging points

one is a 3 pin socket cable, I was told this was limited to a 2kwh charge as it would not be on a dedicated socket - I guess this was down to the possibilities of overload

I don't tend to use the other cable as i had a charging point with a dedicated cable fitted

the cost of the charging point was £779

the government grant was £500

because I bought a used leaf (ex-demo) from a Nissan dealer there was an offer where Nissan paid the other £279

when I give a range of 90 miles that's based off a full battery - the 18kwh is down to me only charging about 60-70% each night as that's all I've used.

the car has a built in timer which I set to charge when my night rate is on - i pay about 7p per kwh at the moment on that so about £1.26

at this point im averaging about 50 miles a day and having about 40 miles left on the clock when i plug it in

i just nipped and checked the breaker and it doesn't seem to have any values written on it

All that makes complete sense labrat

I misunderstood and thought you got 90 miles from a 6 hours charge at 3kw

The Tory Legacy

its ok - it probably doesn't help that i don't fully understand the electrics myself - if im honest i brought the car because of the lower maintenance

namely, i looked at everything my last dozen cars had failed on

turbo - not got one

exhaust - not got one

water pump - not got one

oil system - not got one

fuel pump - not got one

leaking fuel tank - not got one

and went lets try it and see how it goes

Please note:

I still maintain they should be called coal powered vehicles.

The electrics..... Above my pay grade.

But I do know that the manufacturers statistics are based on new batteries and people are saying that after one years use they cant charge the batteries above 80%.

Battery degradation.

I do know that lithium mines are just as bad for the environment.

Over the lifetime of the vehicle it will only produce 7 tonnes less co2.

apparently the new impending (not for awhile yet though) 'solid state' lion batteries will have less of an adverse environmental impact (ie re mining), whilst also being more efficient.

for now, it seems that the main difference taking all things into account is re emissions? and perhaps other things such as running costs as has been posted.

it all ties in; volvo announce their future cars all electric, mini announces electric, etc. then the gov't announces forthcoming all electric...

:)

But I do know that the manufacturers statistics are based on new batteries and people are saying that after one years use they cant charge the batteries above 80%.

Battery degradation.

Had my i3 just on three years and have no indication of this. My batteries are guaranteed for eight years.

It requires a separate circuit but it didn't take long (maybe a couple of hours) and I only had normal electrics in the house previously so not difficult to do. From what I can see they connect just before the consumer unit which then goes to a dedicated breaker box (like a mini consumer unit). Then all they do is run a cable from that to wherever you want the charge point located, pop the charge point on your chosen spot and hook it up.

if im honest i brought the car because of the lower maintenance

We looked at it at first because OH has a gammy knee and were looking at cars he could get in and out of easily. We weren't looking for an electric car. Strangely when we went to pick it up his knee could cope with a test drive in an i8 :-)

Battery degradation.

Had my i3 just on three years and have no indication of this. My batteries are guaranteed for eight years.

How do you know this ? The batteries will still charge fully, but the mileage range under same conditions may gradually reduce. So you might have been able to drive say 100 mile on full charge and then after say 1 year, for the same journey, road conditions, speed etc, the car will only achieve 95 miles. After 2 years the car might be down to 90 miles range etc etc.

If the deterioration in battery performance is very gradual, a car owner might not really notice it or think reduced range is down to road conditions, weather, different journeys etc.

The diagnostic software that you have on the car which shows battery condition might not give any indication of degradation.

No expert on this issue which is more complex than my average brain can handle. If it is true that batteries have to be replaced when performance drops below a certain level, then i could see consumers and manufacturers getting into legsl arguments. If you noticed within the 8 years guarantee that performance was only 50% of what it should be, what could you do ?

How do you know this ? The batteries will still charge fully, but the mileage range under same conditions may gradually reduce.

I can only go by familiar journeys and what I've come to expect. The range readout is very accurate and I'm still getting what I've got used to. If the battery only charged to 95% would my range readout reflect that?

If you noticed within the 8 years guarantee that performance was only 50% of what it should be, what could you do ?

Honestly haven't looked into that. Will ask BMW next time it's in for a service - only had one so far and I know batteries were checked. I don't think they'd expect to change all at once from general chat with them. It's more an expectation that one would fail and be replaced but I do take your point and will ask.