Electric Cars The Future-But Who Will Try To Resist-Have You Got One.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2424 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Virtually all automakers (except for Tesla) are asking China to slow down electric car mandate.

The auto industry is once again attempting to slow down the rollout of electric vehicles.

Virtually all automakers, except for Tesla of course, have sent a letter to the Chinese government in an attempt to have them drastically weaken their zero-emission vehicle mandate.

As we previously reported, China, the world’s biggest car market, has somewhat of an aggressive ZEV mandate that would force Automakers to have zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs) represent 8% of new car sales as soon as 2018 and quickly ramp up to 12% by 2020.

Interesting comments.

https://electrek.co/2017/07/13/automakers-but-tesla-china-slow-down-electric-car-mandate/

I have heard that many Taxi Companies are now using Electric Taxis but are there enough charge points available in Great Britain for this rapidly increasing market.

Have you got one.What are your views.

And who will try to resist this market.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have one, but my understanding is that UK is currently installing more charging points across the country.

There are problems with electric cars.

Too quiet and therefore more paedestrians will be injured/killed, particularly blind people. Manufacturers need to add some form of running noise.

Insufficient range for longer journeys i.e those over 2 hours.

Most homes won't have quick charge points and will need trickle charging taking hours. Very impracticle if you are say driving 2 hours on a family trip and need to recharge the car to make the return trip. Hotels will need to install multiple charging points for guests to use.

Batteries will have to be replaced after a number of years and it is very expensive. Cost might make it unaffordable and cars might face earlier scrappage in this situation. No doubt there will be some finance scheme to fit batteries on long term credit, but with interest added, it might be more than what people spend on petrol.

A lot to be thought about, but by 2030, i think most cars will be electrically powered. More difficult for lorries to be electric as might not be powerfull enough to transport heavy goods.

Pollution is very bad in many places and there is no choice.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

They are not zero emission vehicles.

They are emission hiding vehicles.

Electric production causes emissions.

They use lithium batteries. Just google lithium mine and you will see one of the biggest open cast mines in the world...

But its in a developing country... So that's ok by the eco warriors... Out of sight out of mind...

They still require steel, aluminum, copper, gold, platinum etc etc. In fact they are 5 times more polluting to make the car than an ordinary car.

( coz of the lithium)

They are harder to recycle ( coz of the lithium)

The price per mile in co2 terms is greater than a petrol car. Electricity production to charge the car.

So they are not as eco friendly as it looks.

Plus you cant hear the damn things and the mileage between charges is poor.

One source for this I the bbc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22001356

Just a few articles to carry things on.To chat about.

Your link did not work sgtbush so found it.2013 i believe.

How environmentally friendly are electric cars?

Electric car growth sparks environmental concerns

Mining of raw materials and recycling of lithium-ion batteries in spotlight

https://www.ft.com/content/8342ec6c-5fde-11e7-91a7-502f7ee26895

Cornwall lithium to power electric cars world revolution

Read more at http://www.cornwalllive.com/cornwall-lithium-to-power-electric-cars-world-revolution/story-30433971-detail/story.html#FHcuObmEdg8z1PKe.99

Big Oil Just Woke Up to Threat of Rising Electric Car Demand

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-14/big-oil-just-woke-up-to-the-threat-of-rising-electric-car-demand

EVS ARE DANGEROUSLY QUIET. HERE'S WHAT THEY COULD SOUND LIKE

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/evs-dangerously-quiet-heres-sound-like/

Britons are struggling to debunk electric car myths

Read more at

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/motors/news/2017/07/13/britons-are-struggling-to-debunk-electric-car-myths/

Petrol Vs Electric: waving the chequered flag on green energy myths

https://www.team-sport.co.uk/bruces-blog/petrol-vs-electric/

None of those articles say anything about the co2 emission's in production, and continued use of electro vehicles.

The one on debunking myths is about the number of charging points and will it be a strain on the national grid.

No they wont be.

Electric cars are not.

They are coal-powered cars or nuclear powered cars

Or hydro powered..( but remember the millios of tonnes of concrete required to make a hydro electric plant.

Coal powered electric vehicles as they should be known, coal being the most efficient way to produce electricity ( taking into account the energy and cost of decommissioning a nuclear plant ( do u see where I going ))

Over the lifetime of the car it will produce 7 tonnes less than a petrol equivalent. That's a fact.

A lithium mine in Cornwall!!!!???

That takes up 10% of Cornwall...

Well the residents will be happy!!!

You may as well have a fracking pipe stuck out the ground!!!

Like everything else their is always a price to pay.

The advances in pvb boards is immense, we could try to offset the impact that way.

My point is that to call them a ZEC is a blatent lie

Its the lies that get me, on both sides.

Interesting Thread.I feel there are many who are thinking of buying a electric car.

I find some of your comments amusing.Like the residents and might as well have a Fracking Pipe stuck out of the ground.

A sense of humour is good to have in a world of madness and lies.

Just putting articles on that i find.

I do not know that much about the production or what harm Lithium extraction does so took a look at a FOE REPORT.

Lithium (Li) is the lightest metal on Earth and is used in batteries to power various electrical and electronic goods including mobile phones and electric cars.

As demand for lithium rises, the mining impacts are increasingly affecting communities where this harmful extraction takes place, jeopardising their access to water.

Current levels of lithium collection in the EU are very low. In the case of batteries, this amounts

to an estimated 5% of the lithium-ion batteries put on the European market. Most of the current

lithium is either dumped in landfill or incinerated, contributing to Europe’s dependency on

lithium supply.

Unless the EU introduces mandatory collection and recycling targets for metals such as lithium,

the current wasteful practices will continue, contributing to far-reaching negative environmental

and social impacts.

https://www.foeeurope.org/sites/default/files/publications/13_factsheet-lithium-gb.pdf

Now some say

Electric Cars Are Better For The Environment. Period.

Read more at https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/10/electric-cars-are-better-for-the-environment-period/#SwtJxFTtgsr7U93q.99

As i say i do not know much about Electric Cars.

In fact i now use Bike Power.Feet wear only.No need for a car thank goodness.

Or better still walking power.

I understand your points raised,yes there is always a price to pay.

They are not zero emission vehicles.

They are emission hiding vehicles.

Electric production causes emissions.

They use lithium batteries. Just google lithium mine and you will see one of the biggest open cast mines in the world...

But its in a developing country... So that's ok by the eco warriors... Out of sight out of mind...

They still require steel, aluminum, copper, gold, platinum etc etc. In fact they are 5 times more polluting to make the car than an ordinary car.

( coz of the lithium)

They are harder to recycle ( coz of the lithium)

The price per mile in co2 terms is greater than a petrol car. Electricity production to charge the car.

So they are not as eco friendly as it looks.

Plus you cant hear the damn things and the mileage between charges is poor.

One source for this I the bbc

Finally someone talking sense about these eco monsters called electric vehicles.

My 20 year old petrol Passat, despite only doing 30mpg, surely has impacted less on the environment than any electric car.

Just think about the fact that electric cars won't last 20 years and most likely not even 10, so the eco cost of production overcomes the environmental impact of a petrol car by very far.

It's all a smokescreen to show that politicians are tree huggers and the consumers are screwed more and more in the name of a polar bear and some penguins.

I have an i3 and it's great fun. Range restriction means it couldn't be an only car and purchase price means it isn't a feasible second car in most families. I honestly adore it for all that and fast charging means I could do long journeys if I planned properly. The new Tesla is a real possibility. I have a 7kw charge point at home so from empty to full would take about four hours but the fast charge as found on motorway services is only about half an hour. Can't wait for the new Tesla.

I have yet to kill a pedestrian.

interesting, info re lithium mining etc

a couple of further links read

https://u.osu.edu/2367group3/environmental-concerns/effects-of-mining-lithium/ (nice photo of a mine)

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/teslas-electric-cars-might-not-green-think/

http://www.kitco.com/ind/Albrecht/2014-12-16-How-Green-is-Lithium.html

is the overall balance for or against, in the circumstances...

I have an i3 and it's great fun. Range restriction means it couldn't be an only car and purchase price means it isn't a feasible second car in most families. I honestly adore it for all that and fast charging means I could do long journeys if I planned properly. The new Tesla is a real possibility. I have a 7kw charge point at home so from empty to full would take about four hours but the fast charge as found on motorway services is only about half an hour. Can't wait for the new Tesla.

I have yet to kill a pedestrian.

i3...Great fun...mmmh, you must be easily pleased 😂

I guess I am. There's little joy to be had driving in the UK any more but I have yet to tire of seeing boy racers recede in my rear view mirror coming out of bends or off roundabouts. I love he instant power. I happily admit it's a toy.

I drive a Nissan leaf

The range is only about 90 miles and to be fair it is our second car however it is my main car for work and short trips

It's set to charge only off night rates and it's saving me a fortune

Like hightail I love the torque and although I usually drive it in eco mode I have to admit to taking it out of economic mode occasionally and seriously upsetting the boy racer reving his at the lights

So far I have amused myself by sneaking up behind people at work before hitting the horn

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I drive a Nissan leaf

The range is only about 90 miles and to be fair it is our second car however it is my main car for work and short trips

It's set to charge only off night rates and it's saving me a fortune

Like hightail I love the torque and although I usually drive it in eco mode I have to admit to taking it out of economic mode occasionally and seriously upsetting the boy racer reving his at the lights

So far I have amused myself by sneaking up behind people at work before hitting the horn

I wonder what these boy racers are driving if they can't keep up with an electric piece of plastic held together with superglue 😂😂😂

I wonder what these boy racers are driving if they can't keep up with an electric piece of plastic held together with superglue 😂😂😂

Hehe I will admit its not the fastest on the road however it beats both my old cars (1.6tdi + 2.7tdi) hands down

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Hehe I will admit its not the fastest on the road however it beats both my old cars (1.6tdi + 2.7tdi) hands down

What???

It beats a 2.7 tdi???

What's that a 20 ton military tank with a 2.7 tdi engine???

Are you talking about your personal perception or have you actually tried a head to head race?

leaf isn't that impressive, its 0-60 varies depending on where you look - most places have it down as about 9-11 seconds - and thats probably true however because of the torque its ussually much faster on the 0-30 and thats the one for ahhem "racing off at the lights"

This is the best i have been able to find for the leaf from someone track testing it

0-10......0.7 sec

0-20:.....1.8

0-30:.....3.0

0-40:.....4.6

0-50:.....6.7

0-60:.....9.4

Of course i cant speak for the I3 however i know they had to put a software limiter in the leaf for its speed in reverse - as its just a case of reversing the motor it can technically do the same in reverse as forward - fortunately it is software limited to 25mph in reverse... which i have to own upto i have tested once...

Please note:

The i3 is quoted at just over seven seconds for 0 - 62 with 50 - 75 taking just 4.9 seconds. That combined with being able to feather the accelerator to trigger the regenerative braking and therefore the brake lights mean I can discourage anyone thinking they'll ride my back bumper. I don't have a range extender which does add weight so kills the performance. I have no idea of a 0 - 30 figure but I know it's good enough to take on most :-)

No idea about top speed in reverse, it is limited to just over 90 going forward - they say it's for eco reasons.

You're probably right but what's it costing them every time they hit that go pedal :-) I top up for free in most multi storey car parks, many supermarkets, local hospital and on street charge points. I pay zero road tax and very low insurance. Would I have the i3 as an only car? No I wouldn't even if it had the range because I want more space and comfort for long journeys but it is the perfect second car.

0-60 in 9.7sec.

My 1.8 estate would be near 90mph in that time.

Boy racers in your area need to change the mechanics modifying their cars...

Boy racers here do their own car work - as do i :)

some people are always dead set against change

Please note: