Car found after being "stolen"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2456 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Just looking for a bit of advice on a situation that's happening to me at the moment.

Back in March 2017 noticed my car wasn't where I'd parked it.

This is in London, so first checked https://trace.london/ to see whether the council had taken it and the car wasn't listed.

Called up Trace London just to be sure and they told me to call the police and report it stolen as no London council had the car.

Called the police,

they confirmed the same thing,

spoke to the insurance company (Diamond) and started the process of the claim.

I got £250 about a week later in lieu of a courtesy car from the insurance company.

Police called me a couple of weeks later to say they couldn't find the car anywhere and told the insurance company to write it off.

Sent logbook and car keys over to the insurance company and they paid out £1,550.00 (after my excess) on May 4th.

Fast-forward to now and have had a call from the insurance company saying the police have found the car, that the council had taken it all along and that it's in the pound.

I asked on the phone since the car had effectively been transferred to Diamond whether they were offering me the option of getting the car back, or if they were forcing me to collect the car and pay back all the money.

They said since it wasn't an "insurable event" it was void and they would force me to collect the car and repay all the money.

Now aside from the fact that there's a bill of several thousand pounds for it being in the pound this long (as I'm pretty sure this will amount to procedural impropriety? the police have given me a reference number which I'm hoping means I could pick the car up without having to pay anything),

can the insurance company force me to do this?

In the event that car's "found" after being stolen everything else I see online says it's now the insurer's car not mine.

Can they force me

(by force I mean take me to court to get the money back),

or is it just the claims handler being pushy?

He did put me on hold to check

just wondered whether anyone had been in anything similar and whether there was anything to this "chargeable event" thing.

How are cars that are stolen, parked illegal, and then towed to the pound treated for example?

Any thoughts or advice welcome thank you!

Have you got anything in writing yet, or is it just from a muppet on the phone?

What do they mean by it isnt an insurable event. This kind of thing is exactly why you have insurance. Third party fire and THEFT, or fully comp.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Nope, nothing in writing yet. They've been trying to get a hold of me for the last 2 weeks by the looks of the voicemails on my phone, but been on leave the last 2 weeks on holiday and so was pretty much ignoring all the phone calls - only when I had a listen through the voicemails today after getting back last night!

Have had nothing in writing from them nope, just the claims handler on the phone who said he'd be posting out some stuff to me shortly - will feedback with whatever I get in the post from them! Insurance is fully comp so yeh, just got the feeling I was being had on to save them the money. I'd rather not swap the cash for the car as I'm a bit worried about not having seen it for over 3 months what state it would be...

Read our customer services guide and implement the advice there. If you don't, you'll be sorry. Very very sorry.

Nope, nothing in writing yet. They've been trying to get a hold of me for the last 2 weeks by the looks of the voicemails on my phone, but been on leave the last 2 weeks on holiday and so was pretty much ignoring all the phone calls - only when I had a listen through the voicemails today after getting back last night!

Have had nothing in writing from them nope, just the claims handler on the phone who said he'd be posting out some stuff to me shortly - will feedback with whatever I get in the post from them! Insurance is fully comp so yeh, just got the feeling I was being had on to save them the money. I'd rather not swap the cash for the car as I'm a bit worried about not having seen it for over 3 months what state it would be...

The Insurers are correct if the car was not stolen at all. If the car was taken into a council pound on the day it went missing from the place you left it, then it was not stolen. Therefore the claim will have to be repaid or the Insurers can take you to court to get an easy CCJ.

On the other hand, perhaps the car was stolen and only entered the council pound at a later time. This might account for it not being listed on council records and the Police also thinking it was stolen.

Think you need to find out more information.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread