Barclays unknown debts

lockhart1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2459 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi again

This is my second thread in regards to an ongoing problem

Unfortunately my mum has been left with debts that she has no idea about from her marriage which has broken down

These debts are with PayPlan at the moment who are paying all creditors each month with a lower monthly repayment and 0% interest.

This plan was set up between her and my dad when they were together as she could not manage her repayments

She has now asked PayPlan to send her a summary of such debts which are in her name.

On the summary it states that 4 debts are to Barclays and 1 to LINK.

The references suggest that 1 is a loan that we know about (see my other thread).

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?479075-Barclays-Personal-Loan

It looks like another is a current account as they said it was in 'joint' names and I know joint loans/credit cards do not exist. The reference is 5082XXXXXXXXX which also suggests it's a current account because the sort code of our area is 20-50-82 so they've missed out the '20'. The only thing that doesn't make sense is the fact it is followed by 9 numbers instead of 8 so we cannot use it as an account number.

The other 2 seem to be credit cards that have reference numbers on there.

We went into branch today and the member of staff could see the loan that we know about and some closed credit cards which do not match the reference numbers for the outstanding debts.

He could not find any other accounts in her name.

PayPlan have confirmed that the LINK debt was a Barclaycard so I assume that because the other 4 debts are still displaying 'Barclays' rather than a debt collector the debts are still with Barclays. Am I right in assuming this? Obviously we know that the 1 loan is still with Barclays as they could find it on their systems, but nothing else.

So as you can see I've done a bit of digging already and ultimately want to make sense of it all because my mum is clueless as to why there's so much debt in her name on this 'plan'. They claim this is her section of the plan they had between them, as these debts are apparently in her name.

I want to identify each debt and also see proof that these are actually hers to pay. As you can imagine this can seem like an impossible task when only 1 can be found on their systems. The LINK debt will have to be dealt with by LINK as far as I know.

Any advice to tackle this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Andyorch
Link added

Simple - Send a SAR Request if possible to fine out more info - Or ask for a financial statement for each debt,

I was thinking this would be the best way. With some potentially being Barclays credit cards this would be considered Barclaycard. I don't suppose you know whether I have to send two SARs, one for Barclays and one for Barclaycard?

Under the summary from PayPlan they simply state 'Barclays' and there is no mention of 'Barclaycard' but the references strongly suggest they are credit cards.

Thanks

One SAR should be sufficient for both as they are the same firm. Barclays... Dont let them fob you off. Itll give you enough info to be able to proceed for now.

£10 PO and a letter should suffice.

Are the Refs 16 digit refs beginning 4 / 5 ? KIf so these usually are Credit Cards

AMex begin 3

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

One SAR should be sufficient for both as they are the same firm. Barclays... Dont let them fob you off. Itll give you enough info to be able to proceed for now.

£10 PO and a letter should suffice.

Are the Refs 16 digit refs beginning 4 / 5 ? KIf so these usually are Credit Cards

AMex begin 3

They begin with 5 so I think they're Mastercards that they don't offer anymore. They only begin with 4929 as they only use Visa nowadays but these are dated.

I'll crack on with an SAR tonight and look at a section 77/78 CCA once I have the relevant information in terms of account details.

Thanks

Hi LH,

If you find that there's more than one case with Barclays and/or BC, please start a new thread for each account or it's difficult to follow.

I'm aware of the other thread you just started. :wink:

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)