British Airways site crashed - won't allow cancellation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2467 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there Everyone

I thought'd I'd posted this thread, but it seems it didn't work as I didn't find it when I came back to look for it.

So the problem is, on Friday 15th June we booked flights for our famiy (5 of us) on BA's site for August, London to Boston. My mother wanted to pay for it so she gave me her card number, which I used to make the booking.

At the last minute the whole site crashed, the screen flashed and then came up with a message saying that there had been an error and that I should try again later. By this we thought that after all that the whole process had been lost and we would have to go through it all again.

Rather than try again on BA's website and risk crashing again, we went to a comparison site and booked with them and I sent the confirmation by email to my mother. She emails me back the next day to say that she also had an email from BA. I thought that this couldn't be as the website crashed. I asked her to forward it to me, which I didn't get til Monday.

I rang up BA explaining the situation and they said there was nothing they could do. The agent asked if I had taken a screen shot of the error message, but I didn't. I had no reason to think an error hadn't occurred. She then insinuated that I could be trying to [problem] the Company because our second booking was cheaper. I said in one of my emails to them that their website logs for Friday night should have the record of the crash, but of course they ignored this.

Citizens Advice was of little help, though they said that would send a report to trading standards.

I complained to BA and after an email exchange the only thing they have offered is changes to the date/time/destination of the tickets. They refused to offer any kind of voucher or air miles. I will request an explaination of why, but I doubt they will answer.

So it seems the the regulations are all written in favour of the airlines and the consumer hasn't a leg to stand on. The 24 hour 'cool off' period is too short in my opinion, but then I don't expect BA to give an explanation about that, either.

If anyone has any words of advice, I'd be grateful - please, no should-haves, could-have's, I've already played that night over and over in my mind and there's nothing I can do about what I should/could have done.

Many thanks

What about Mothers Bank doing a chargeback (if Visa debit card) or section 75 request ( credit card) ?

Explain to Bank that that the BA site crashed, with the booking and payment not seeming to be confirmed. BA were then not contactable and another arrangement was made elsewhere.

Your internet service provider might be able to supply data regarding the BA site connection problem, but usually this is difficult, because internet companies don't like to release data.

I doubt BA would help you with a complaint, by looking at their system issues. Your mothers Bank refunding the payment and taking it off BA would no doubt work and see BA cancel those first tickets booked.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread