BT over charged and bad service

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi hope someone can help? :???:

My mum has dementia. Last year she telephoned BT to get her internet and home phone bills reduced as she was being charged for services she wasn't using and she was out of contract. They signed her up to a 18 month contract which has increased her bill plus the stop nuisance call service she pays extra for hasn't stopped the calls they have in fact increased sometimes calling in the early hours of the morning.

I have telephoned BT who have apologized and agreed to lower her tariff but we are not happy with the service especially as she has been paying so much more then she needed to for all this time. The first time I telephoned they agreed to 1/2 her tariff or she could get out of her contract without charge. I said we wanted to think about it but when I next spoke to them having decided to leave they said she would not be able to leave the contract without charge after all.

Is there anything we can do?

Thank you

I think that the first thing you should do is to read our customer services guide and having implemented the advice there, call again and see if you can get them to check their files and the record of what they have promised in the past and see if you can get them to repeat or admit what they said in the past but this time you will be recording it.

This will be very helpful.

It seems to me that as she was out of contract, she shouldn't have needed to pay for any of those services at all and it was grossly unfair that they use the opportunity to sign up to a new contract.

In addition to making the calls that I have suggested above, I suggest that you call them again and start complaining about what is happening – but also put it in writing and tell them that is the beginning of a formal procedure to the communication ombudsman.

Emphasise that your mother is a vulnerable person by any definition and that they have taken advantage of her. Make sure that BT know that this would be the focus of your eventual complaint to the communications ombudsman.

If you can get the recordings that I suggested above then you should include these as part of your complaint to the ombudsman.

You could take stronger action by bringing a small claim in the County Court but I have a sense that in the circumstances this is not something that you will find easy to do and also the results may be uncertain.

Try the telephone complaint accompanied by the written complaint accompanied by (eventually) the complaint to the ombudsman and come back here and let us know what happens.