shoplifting at Tesco, Police called, no papers signed, banned from store

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2442 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Right now I am in a very traumatic situation, most of it down to my own doing.

I was caught shoplifting at my local Tesco.

This is not the first time I have shoplifted but the first time I have been caught.

Dropped my child to school, went to Tesco, bought my groceries, picked some stuff and put them in my bag (value around £15) Paid for the stuff in my trolley and left.

As I was about the exit the main door a woman and man in normal clothes came to me.

The woman said I had stuff I hadn't paid for and asked me to come to them.

I was taken to a back room where I was asked to take the stuff out and put them on the table.

she proceeded to check my bag.

I tried to tell her that it was my first time (which wasn't true).

She said "no, it's not and you have taken stuff earlier" too..

asked me why I did it and why should they not call the police.

the man accompanying her was the store manager and he will decide.

took my driving licence and they left me in the room for about 15 minutes.

came back and said they have decided to call the police.

I begged her not to and that I couldn't go to jail as I have a sick child to take care of.

My husband would kill me ( we already have a fragile relationship)

a policeman came and they discussed something among themselves.

the security woman came and I was still begging her to not get me arrested.

the policeman came and asked if I have ever been caught before.

He told me that the Tesco guys say I have stolen from them on earlier occasions.

At this point I blurted out all about myself.

I have been under a lot of stress the last few years since my child suffered injury during an accident, and later diagnosed with MD.

I take anti depressants and a pill to sleep every night.

I kept apologising, telling him I don't know why I did it.

took my driving licence and wrote down my details in his notebook.

said that I should never do it again and if I was caught next time I would be in very serious trouble with the law.

said that the store is banning me from coming here.

I asked him how long it was for at which point he went out, talked to the store guys, came back and told me, a year.

He said there was some paper work to do but since he had my home address,

he could come over.

I begged him not to come home as I can't let my husband know of this.

then took my mobile number and said he will call me to set up a different place.

that the store had my car reg. number and will know if I tried to come to the store.

they would like me to make some donation to the store.

I offered to go to the ATM with him and get the money to donate but he said I need not get money out especially for this and that next time,

I come to buy fuel at Tesco, I should just give it at the till saying this is a donation.

The policeman spoke to me in a very kind manner.

said I need to seek medical help.

that I seem to be in a terrible mental state and this is perhaps my way of seeking attention, a 'cry for help'.

I didn't get any paper from Tesco or asked to sign anything by Tesco or the policeman.

Back home, I can't stop shaking since yesterday.

Despite the sleeping pill I haven't had much sleep last night.

I keep thinking theta the police will turn up wanting to arrest me for all the earlier shoplifting I have done.

That I might go to jail and there will be no one to look after my child.

The thing is if that were to happen and my husband came to know about this, my life will just not be worth it and I will have no option but to end it.

You might wonder, why I do it. I do too.

We are not rich but comfortable.

I certainly don't need to steal.

I anyway hardly even use the stuff I steal.

I don't know if am doing it due to the never ending misfortunes in my life or simply because of the fact that I could do it and haven't got caught?

The thing is, it's almost like a compulsion to take something.

And now, I am in such a state, don't know what to do.

Call me what you will but please help me with some answers.

1. Is the police coming after me for my earlier thievery for which I haven't been caught? the Tesco guys said they know I have stolen before (which is true)

2. When they say they have my car reg. number,

might they stop my husband and tell him all about it if he were to go to Tesco in the car?

I really cannot tell him about the ban, I will be finished.

3. Are they banning me from this store or every Tesco store. I don't want to turn up at another store and get arrested for entering.

This incident has been an eye opener for me.

I am never ever going to shoplift again.

What happened perhaps was good in a way that it will finally put a stop to the crime I have been committing.

However, unable to calm down, I am in a state of perpetual panic, feeling very depressed and scared that my life has come to an end like this but most of all feeling terrible for my child.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Police have finished their involvement. Thats why they let you go. Forget abotu the past and look to the future, and STOP shoplifting.

2. Nothing they can do with your reg number. Just a bunch of jumped up security staff trying to scare you. Think about it. You could just go buy an old banger and their threats mean nothing. You could sell your car, and if they tried to tell the new owner they couldnt go in, then the security staff and tesco would be in deep trouble. Its an empty threat , designed to scare you. They certainly wont have security looking for your car in the car park 24/7

3. Their policy is to ban you from every tesco store. In reality its not really enforceable at all. Perhaps in the local area, but not country wide. But for now, find another supermarket to shop at for a month or two, then if you want to, you can head back. The security staff may or may not recognise you. But dont go stirring the nest.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thank you so much for your reply.

Worried as the policeman said there will be some paperwork to do and he will contact me.

Don't know what the paperwork is.

Dreading every time the phone rings.

Don't want to turn up at my house or to get letters from the police.

Panicking about the repercussions if my husband comes to know.

Also read on this forum that Loss Prevention is going to hound me for money any way.

Unable to deal with so much trauma. I know, shouldn't have done it.

Will never do it again.

Ignore totally rlp...

But at some point you are going to get letters from them

Let the police guide you

They are not your enemy here

Go see your GP too

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

LEts get this straight here... Look at other RLP Threads... You will see nothing came of them.

They dont have the right to bully you.

For now lets take a look at the emotional side. You made a mistake like all humans do...

You wont be judged on that

DX is right, let the police guide you on this one

Also finally please do go and see your GP - Mental health is very important. You might not get anything immediately, but itll help point you in the right direction...

I know because I have been in a bad way before like you are now.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Thank you for your kindness. I am all nerves thinking about the police as I have never had any skirmish with the law earlier. Will have to see what happens.

Will see the G P too though very embarrased about confessing to him.

Might Tesco come after me for the previous incident?

Dont Be - GPs deal with this all the time. You dont have to tell him what youve done, but more how you feel and they may beable to identify something that can help bring you back to a healthier mental state.

Depression and Mental Instability go hand in hand.

Theres plenty more to life then feeling down - That I can tell you :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I don't think I can offer any practical advice in addition to what you have received above.

However, you sound as if you are in a very bad way. You say that you are already on antidepressants. I think you should go back to the doctor and tell everything and see if you can get a reference to someone to who you can talk to. You will find that there will be some psychiatric professional and for your own sake and for the sake of your child – and your family, it will be in your best interests to get talking to someone on a regular basis. It will be much better than taking antidepressants because if you start talking on a regular basis over quite a long period of time, maybe you will start to understand what is happening and then you can fully take control. Antidepressants – and even a shop such as the one you just had, are only short-term remedies.

One thing that concerns me is why are you so frightened about your husband finding out? I can imagine that it would be embarrassing – but are there any other issues? You don't need to answer that question here, if there are some other issues going on here then it is even more important that you get your doctor and start telling everything.

This might sound very strange, but if you have the collar number of the police officer who you found to be so kind, maybe you could try to contact that person because it is pretty certain that he or she may have access to or may know of some agency which might be helpful to you.

Other than that, as has been suggested, you may start to receive some civil recovery letters. Don't let them rattle you. Come back here if you hear anything which concerns you – but your own personal problems, need to be helped by experienced professionals in that area.

Thank you. Will go see the GP soon.

Want this limbo with the police situation to get sorted out. I am scared to enter any supermarket now.

Worried that when I go to the Tesco fuel station to pay the donation, they will know who I am and what I have done. I am so embarrassed with what I have done.

Will update about the police situation and beg advice here if there is anything from Tesco about past incident.

Yes, I forgot to refer to the donation. I'm very puzzled by this. I've never heard of it before and I don't feel very comfortable about it.

If you could let us know a little bit more about this donation please. Were you given anything in writing about it? Was any particular figure suggested?

The policeman said that they would like me to make a £20 donation to Tesco. I offered to get this from the ATM but he told not to take the money out especially for this. He said I could make the donation at the Tesco filling station the next time I go there to fill my car.

Don't have the policeman's number or his name. Getting this info didn't cross my mind.

I trawled through the forum but couldn't find any incidence about making a donation. Very scared about walking up to the till at the filling station and saying here is my donation.

I wonder if he has said this because the filling station isnt the main store and also because the amount you said you took was £15...

I think he may have suggested it as a way to try and make good... Either way it is up to you what you do...

But before you do make any donation of any sort, go see your GP.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I am so thankful to you all for replying to my message. Since yesterday, I have been going through hell thinking of all the worst scenarios. I will go and see the GP next week, I know I have to but have been putting it off. After yesterday's horror I realise I have to get help.

I wish I had the money on me to pay the donation right then. Now I am panicking at the prospect of going to the filling station and paying. I am sure this is not a regular thing and they will know what I am about.

Dont pay ANY donation. At all. Something doesnt sit right here, and im thinking you were talking to a PSCO not an actual officer.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Could be but can't say for sure. I don't know enough about the two to make out from the uniform.

Please can you tell me what is wrong as you say 'something doesn't sit right here'. Is there more horror in store for me?

Could be but can't say for sure. I don't know enough about the two to make out from the uniform.

Please can you tell me what is wrong as you say 'something doesn't sit right here'. Is there more horror in store for me?

there have been examples of the police telling people to make a donation

some very local schemes do it.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

it would have been simpler if I had to put the donation in a box or something rather than hand it to a Tesco staff at the till.

Do you think police will turn up at my home about the earlier shoplifting or to get papers signed for this one. Is this what normally happens?

no its not

and I'm not sure what papers they want you to provide or sign...

ive a feeling you've got something mixed up here.

and they

The policeman said, there may be paperwork but could be done later as he had my home address.

I begged him not to come home upon which he took my mobile number and said he call call if he needs to contact me.

I asked him if I had to wait for any paper from Tesco about the ban and he said it is verbal.

I have already given the Tesco security and the policeman my driving licence.

Tesco have probably made a copy to noted down my details

(can't remember if she took it out of the room).

The policeman didn't say I have to provide him with any document just that there might be paperwork.

I was in quite a state so I couldn't seek any clarity.

Now the scare that they will turn up at my place is overwhelming.

I don't know what happens in this situation.

Can I be nabbed again when I go to make the donation?

pers I wouldn't be going to make any donation

and I can quite assure you that the police will not just turn up at your door.

as for can they nab me again

no-one from Tesco's can NAB YOU

they are not police or anyone with any legal powers.

I think id simply be keeping your head down.

dx

and they

Thank you.

I am getting all worked up because the Tesco security woman said that they know I have stolen from them before.

I keep thinking, they might want to catch me for the earlier incident.

I read on this forum somewhere that there is no Time limit regarding criminal conviction.

Will they hound me for my past misdemeanour?

if Tesco called the police and said that they have proof I have shoplifted before will they come after me.

I am so scared.

In a way I have called this upon myself and haven't stopped beating myself over this.

But I've done it and know remorse is not enough.

Ignore the tesco security idiots. Theyre a contracted company who think theyre better than they actually are. They have no rights to do anything apart from catch you in the act and report you if tesco say to. They will also say and do anything to make themselves look good and to scare you. Keep your head down, stay away from tesco for a few weeks and go see your doctor.

You also keep saying... tesco this and Tesco that. STOP IT. They havent said anything. The security guards did.

Nope. All tesco guards are contracted apart from a very tiny amount of stores.