Access to parents house

MikeSH
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello. I hope I am posting on the right forum.

My Mother has been in care for a couple of years now and recently her health has declined quite rapidly.

My older Brother (who was adopted by my parents) has been in possession of the keys to my Mothers house during this time. I asked for a set of the keys a while back but he is completely refusing to speak to me.

I am more concerned with some personal contents that are in the house. I grew up in the house. My Brother did not!

He never visits Mum in the care home and, as far as I know, doesn't go to the house for any reason.

I should also add that I am not aware of my Mother ever making a will and my Father passed away some years ago.

I would like to know if anyone could please offer some advice on where I stand (legally or otherwise) regarding my Mothers house.

Many thanks

Mike

Has the house been unoccupied since your mother went into care a couple of years ago? If so is anyone going in to check it? For safety, maintenance etc. Does your mother own it? Sole owner?

Did your mother give power of attorney to either of you? If not is she able to manage her own affairs? That's about mental capacity to manage her own affairs, not physical capacity. Someone can be totally dependent physically on 24 hour nursing care yet still have the mental faculties to make decisions. If she does not mental capacity and there's no POA this is the route you can follow

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/if-the-person-you-want-to-help-has-lost-mental-capacity

The existence or otherwise of a Will is irrelevant while your mother is still alive, although obviously at some point it will become an issue.

• Haha 2

You state your brother was adopted. I'm taking it on trust that it was a legal adoption.

This means that in law your brother has the same rights as you do. He, in law is classed as flesh and blood.

The only thing I would suggest is Trying to talk to him.