• Tweets

• Better version attached with the late appeal explained more clearly for the judge. This will sound silly, but I think it would be a good idea to e-mail it to the court and UKPC on Sunday.  It's probably me being daft, but Sunday is still March, and as it's late, sending it in March rather than April will make it sound like it was less late than it really is.  if you get my drift. You can still pop in a paper version on Tuesday if you want. E-mail address for the court: [email protected] And for UKPC: [email protected]   [email protected] Defendant WS.pdf
    • Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Exercise4Less / Harlands

KeanoH
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2409 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to Consumer Action Group and have been reading 100s of posts

re: harlands/exercise4less..all of which I found extremely useful

and only wish Id of seen this before signing up to the gym.

I am sorry to bring it up again but I feel my situation is different to the threads that I can find because I just cancelled my direct debit 6 months in.

I have been stupid, I just did not read any contract.

I don't even remember being given a contract but obviously i must have signed something,

I just remember being offered all sorts when i went with my friend to check the gym out.

I was promised free PT sessions and that I could cancel any time it was a rolling month contract & no registration fee if i sign up today etc.

The above all turned out to be lies so I decided to cancel,

I have since found in my emails that this is an 11 month contract despite being told otherwise.

I cancelled DD after 5m still owing 6m,

I would be happy to pay the remainder of my contract due to my own stupidity in believing this guys word instead of reading,

they have now charged admin fees and sending me letters saying I owe around 100.

Judging by what I have read,

I have dealt with this wrongly,should i just pay them everything to avoid this going up or should i argue the admin fees and offer to pay the remainder of the contract?

I appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.

Hi welcome to CAG.

IGNORE any penalty fees they have added (Harlands I assume?) they are completely unenforceable and they know it.

Slick will be along in good time to advise you accordingly, with how to deal with these clowns.

DO NOT blindly pay!!

Who? informed you of free PT sessions? Do you have their name?

Do you have ANYTHING in writing regarding this at all?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thank you, yes Harlands it is.

Unfortunately,

I am too trustworthy,

nothing in writing no :(.

He was just a sales person that signed me up in the gym.

I just know his name was Danny.

He said he would be there every day for further questions again,

I never saw him again.

I also booked appointments on the phone app with a PT turned up and the person was on holiday.

It was just nothing as they had sold it.

I have nothing to back up the fact I was mis-sold.

I just cancelled my direct debit believing it was rolling month if i had any idea it wasnt or been told any of this i would of just paid the 9.99pm.

I understand that it is my fault I have not read anything and signed into a contract without reading the small print which is why I am happy to pay the 9.99 for the remaining 6 months,

I don't agree with admin fees but they are also in the T&Cs online,

I would pay if it got rid of them.

...but they are saying you have to pay arrears of £100 and then reinstate the DD,

they wont let me pay it all and get rid of them they just want to get me back into contract which is why i still haven't paid :/

IGNORE them for the minute.

If you're contacting them via phone, then STOP!

Keep everything in writing only (or email).

You need a paper trail of evidence.

If you can show that they broke the agreement you had with them, that'll be an added bonus.

IMO, all you owe is one months payment, as you normally need to give them 30 days notice to cancel.

Hopefully Slick will be along and advise you what to send them, however, for the time being, IGNORE Harlands, deal direct with the gym, in WRITING only.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi KH,

Please see the PM I have sent you, and reply. :wink:

Please don't pay Harlands/CRS a penny or even contact them in any way, until we've had a chance to consider the facts of your case.

If you've read 100's of threads here like you say, you should already have come across cases similar to your own. You have every right to argue that the m/ship was mis-sold due to both the rolling monthly agreement, and the PT issues.

And you will certainly already know that we always tell folk NOT to pay any admin fees.

I suggest you tell Harlands/CRS you will only pay them a final 1 month's fee for the notice you needed to give, because you were told you were signing to a rolling monthly agreement, cancellable any time.

If you want help drafting this, just say.

:-)

Edited by slick132

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thank you both, I will not ring them again I only found this forum after i had called them. sorry for the delay I have now replied to your PM.

Ok i have not paid them a penny and i wont I have just ignored since i found this site. I just had a panic moment in the middle of exam time and receiving more letters I just wanted done with it. but now i think it wont go away even if i did pay.

Yes I have read posts similar but I felt like they all tried to cancel correctly or have been unsuccessful trying to cancel correctly so they subsequently cancelled their direct debit. I just straight up cancelled my direct debit because felt like it was that simple and would just stop the rolling contract. but I have no proof this is what I was told.

I have read a few drafts but am unsure exactly what i should say/offer because even though I was told it was rolling month which is why i just cancelled the DD, I have no proof so I probably have signed into 11m without knowing and so if I was in contract then should i offer the remaining 6months?

"Dear sir or madam,

I refer to your letter of xxdate and our subsequent phone discussion.

I cancelled my DD mandate on xxdate and this was adequate notice of my cancellation of the gymicon agreement, as per the case of The OFT v Ashbourne Mgt Services Ltd in 2011.

I now realise I should have paid one further month's fee for the notice period and am willing to offer you £9.99 now. If you confirm in writing within 14 days that you'll accept £9.99 in full settlement of all amounts due, I will pay it promptly.

If you fail to accept my offer within 14 days, or if you demand any adminicon or cancellation fees (unlawful penalties), my offer will be withdrawn and I may ignore further demands from you and/or CRS.

Such demands may be reported to Trading Standards.

Yours faithfully,"

Simply put, you offer one final months fee £9.99, and if they fail to accept your very generous offer within 14 days, then it will be withdrawn and no further correspondence will be entered into.

Ok thank you. I will try that so i shouldn't say because i was mis-sold and told it was rolling month or that I am not paying admin fees because they are unenforceable at all? just literally I will put that offer & should i email or send it by post?

Hi KH,

Your letter needs simply to say :-

1. I was misled by gym staff who said this was a rolling monthly m/ship agreement.

2. I was told I could cancel by simply cancelling the DD mandate.

3. I was promised PT sessions but this never happened.

4. I am willing to offer to pay, for 14 days only, 1 final fee of £9.99 in full settlement of all I owe for this gym m/ship. If you refuse to accept within 14 days or demand any higher amount and/or admin fees, I will pay you nothing.

Redraft it here if you want the letter checked before you send it.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 4 weeks later...

HI Guys,

Thanks Slick so sorry have been super sidetracked with exams at the minute. I have just had my first letter from CRS, I have not sent them the email offer yet.

Going off what you have posted..

I could basically say what you have put,

"Dear Harlands/CRS/Xercise4Less,

I Have been misled by the sales member Danny at my gym that told me it was a rolling monthly membership agreement.

I was told I could cancel at anytime and cancelling my direct debit was my notification of cancellation of my membership.

I was promised a free PT session, which never happened and booked PT sessions and turned up and no-one was there.

I am willing to offer to pay, for 14 days only, 1 final fee of £9.99 in full settlement of all I owe for this membership. If you refuse to accept within 14 days or demand any higher amount and/or admin fees, I will pay you nothing.

Regards,

....."

Who should i send this to Harlands, CRS or Xercise4Less and should i send it in writing or can i send by email?

Thank you all for your help, i do really appreciate this and have made a donation. Sorry I took a while responding.

Hi KH,

Send the letter to Harlands now and get a free Certificate of Posting at the PO when it's sent.

No point in writing to the gym at the moment - they are rarely helpful.

No need to write to CRS - they are simply Harlands. pretending to be a separate DCA.

• 1 month later...

Hi Slick,

i sent the letter when we last spoke and got proof of postage..

since I sent the letter I have just received none stop calls, of which I have not answered any after what I have read on here.

Should I write to them again :/

Thanks

nope

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No, don't write but DO keep a log of all calls you believe to be from Harlands/CRS.

You may need this if you want to complain about harassment.

Ok thank you.

They have now sent me another letter stating that if I don't respond now they are going to take legal action and issue proceedings against me in court etc.

I literally move out of the country on Monday to start a new job, which is why I haven't had much time to focus on this at all but I currently live at home don't really want to bring any trouble to my house when I will be living in Amsterdam :/

I don't know how to end it.

Do i just keep ignoring??

all i have is a receipt proof that I sent A letter to them and that they are now harassing me with calls :/

I am just thinking i said in the letter that I offer them to pay a final fee but I don't say that I will only speak to them in writing so they could say they're calling me to settle that offer that I have made (even though they are obviously not) maybe i should say i will only speak in writing??

sorry if i am making this complicated so stressed lol

Read the letter properly stress head!!

It doesn't say will anything!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ignore the silly children, there'll be no court, they don't go anywhere near.

It's a poxy GYM agreement, you owe nothing to anyone, remember that all of these puerile missives are simply computer generated, no individual knows at what stage of the fake letter stage you're at. IGNORE.

Hi Kean,

You're over-thinking this - ignore Harlands/CRS and their silly demands.

I've been dealing with Harlands cases for close on 10 years and they've taken court action against a CAGger just once that I can recall. They screwed up the court claim so badly, they withdrew the action !!

Tell YP's to open all your letters from Harlands/CRS so you know what they're up to. The ONLY time you need to do ANYTHING is if they actually start court action, which is highly unlikely !!