I stole from work and need urgent help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2490 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work in TK MAXX and I stole something from one of their store (not the one I work at)

I stole a wallet that was priced at £12.99,

as leaving the store the LP stopped me and brought me back into the store

I denied it all but he says that he has CCTV proof of me placing it in my bag,

he didn't call the police or anything

he just took some details from me aka dob name and address.

this is the first time I have ever done anything like this,

I am feeling very guilty about doing it.

I have a meeting with my line manager in 2 days time and I don't have a clue what's going to happen to me

can someone please help me out here!

Will I be fired?

Will the police get involved?

ANYONE KNOW WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN

So the meeting is regarding the incident?

How did he find out?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The police is certainly a possibility – although it seems a bit unlikely if they are going through the kind of procedure which you have described. So far it sounds to me like a pretty civilised approach.

I think it's certainly highly likely that you are going to lose your job. They said that they want to meet you in two days time. Are you meant to go into work tomorrow?

Whatever you do, I think that you need to be scrupulously honest and upfront about everything and be very sincerely repentant.

Can you tell us something about your age and background please

how did they findout you worked in another store?

if they hadn't of found out

it would be nothing to do with them

and they would never have found out.

nasty.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the background information.

I think the best you can do is to do a very sincere handwritten letter explaining exactly what happened, exactly what went through your mind and apologising profusely. Tell them in writing that you understand that they won't want you to work there anymore and that you accept how foolish you've been.

I suggest that you get that to your manager for tomorrow so that he/she has had an opportunity to read it and to appreciate how forthcoming you are being about it.

Go into the meeting and simply put your hands up and tell them that you are prepared to resign with immediate effect and you won't the expecting any pay in lieu.

I think this is the only way to try and defuse the issue by accepting full responsibility and thereby hoping that that will be an end to the matter and that they will allow you to leave without getting the police involved.

If you happen to be good at your job and well respected as a valuable member of staff – and you never know your luck, they may simply give you a very serious remand that allow you to keep working. It's unlikely though and if I you I'd be going on the assumption that you will lose your job. Simply be completely upfront about everything, fully contrite – and hopefully the police won't get involved

Can't add much to the above really. Based on what you have said I think it is highly likely that you will be dismissed. Whether they allow you to resign with a neutral reference is another matter and I agree that you must be demonstrably remorseful and accepting of the outcome before that can even be considered. It is also possible that your meeting on Tuesday might result in an initial suspension whilst they look at whether it is possible that you have stolen from your own store. Any such suspension would be on full pay.

TK Maxx are not well known for their compassion in dealing with customer theft so I also think as an employee it is likely that you will receive (possibly an inflated) demand for Civil Recovery. The reason I suspect that this may be inflated is that IF an investigation is held into any past misdemeanours, then they may attempt to recover the cost of those investigations. Should that happen - and indeed if it does not but you receive the 'standard' RLP demand for payment then come back for more advice - you certainly should not be paying it

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Your OP does not deny the theft.

IMO, unless they have proof I doubt they will press charges, but expect you will be summarily dismissed without an employer ref and poss excluded from all TK Max stores.

Obviously you can contest their decision at an employment Tribunal If you wish.

I cannot see you keeping your job, the employer will simply say that there has been a breakdown of trust if they dont want to bother following up the theft allegation and you will be on your way. The plus side to this will be that the reason for dismissal wont be referring to the incident directly so try and steer the conversation in that direction rather than trying to argue the finer points of what the company has lost in terms of costs. I agree with Mariner that police involvement will be very unlikely, they will have dealt with things for themselves and anyway, the police tend not to get involved in local restitution matters or even general crime where the value of the event in cash terms is low.

As you have been employed for less than 2 years an ET claim will fail on procedural grounds so if you try that route you might well be clobbered for costs

Hi

I am subscribing to this thread as I have an interest in shoplifting.

Can I echo what has already been said but I would concentrate on why you did it. Many people who shoplift have reasons behind their poor decision. This only applies to first timers.

Go into the meeting expecting the worse and if anything else happens then that's a bonus. Ideally you would be given the opportunity to resign with a a neutral reference.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

This is a bit late in the day for you, but there is nothing we can say or do to help you here. You stole from your employer and they may just instigate a full enquiry to ascertain whether you have done it before. I accept this was a one off but do you think your employer will believe that.

As this was a 'low value' item, they may just offer you the opportunity to resign and give a neutral reference however, from past experience with TKMaxx and Retail Loss Prevention they are not compassionate at all.

All I can suggest is that you go in, be truthful and apologetic, explain why this happened but don't say impulse as that won't cut it. Try to reason out why you did it. If you have any outside work stresses, this may help explain why you did what you did.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I assume when you started working for TKMaxx, you were given hand book, so I would suggest if given a hand book, you read through, and see what it says with regards this.

My employers hand book classes, Theft or attempted theft, either from the company or its colleagues, customers, contractors or suppliers, as Gross misconduct and is a sack able offence

If you were given a contact number for the HR person dealing with this matter then yes, it would be sensible.

If not phone your branch manager and ask them what is going on.

At the moment you are still employed so they have to follow procedure and treat you with proper respect and that will include continuing to pay you if you are supended from your normal duties