need advice with regards to tax credits

jelizdavies
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2510 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I currently work in education and get paid pro-rata, even though I work term-time only.

I am looking for similar work closer to home to cut out travelling costs and if I am successful would be due to start in September 2017.

In a regular job I would give a month's notice and go straight to a new job in September,

because of working in education my last physical day at work would be mid July,

I would be paid for at the end of July

and I would expect any holiday pay owing etc and a P45 at the end of August.

Is this correct, or in the HMRC's eyes do I become unemployed end of July and lose my tax credits for the summer weeks and have to renew a claim in September for tax credits.

Tried ringing the tax credits but they were a bit unhelpful,

with not really understanding the nature of term time working etc.

I'm worried that I could be with no tax credits over the summer,

and a new claim would mean I go on Universal Credit.

Please advise

Edited by jelizdavies

Term time workers are considered to be working all year round but the guidance is unclear what to do when they stop working. I just trawled through the technical manual and there actually doesn't appear to be anything specific about this. Probably because not every employer will do the same thing.

So I believe it's going to come down to what is on your P45. If you employer considers you as an employee until end of August or whatever as normal, then submits the P45, as long as you start your new job within 7 days of the P45 "end date" (and you give hmrc all the details in time) your claim will continue. If your employer puts it through now with an end date of now, your claim ends.

Thank you for your reply, I can't find an answer anywhere on line even though I've spent most of the day trawling through countless sites. I think I might need to go and make an appointment with jobcentre locally and get some answers before I actually change jobs. It has been mentioned that I would only need to inform tax credits that my hours of work have changed from 30 to 20, and due to higher wage it will not make much difference to annual pay. I'm going around in circles and I need someone to say it as it is, enabling me to make informed decisions when and if the time arises. Thank you