• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Threatened With Dismissal For Not Signing Amended Contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2502 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, My mother in law works at an after school link club and management have told staff that they are changing their employment contracts so that the staff must give 4 working weeks notice if they wish to leave. The problem is that the jobs are term time only and so if an employee decides in July that they wish to leave, they cannot actually leave until October. The workers have also been told that anyone who leaves without working the required period of notice will be taken to court for breach of contract. A few members of the team have said that they don't agree to the changes and have declined to sign the revised contracts. The company has now said that anyone who refuses to sign the new contract will be dismissed. My mother in law has now received a letter giving her her notice unless she signs the new contract. Is this legal and how best should she approach this situation? Any help would be most gratefully received. DJ67

The problem is that the jobs are term time only and so if an employee decides in July that they wish to leave, they cannot actually leave until October.

I'll defer to the employment law experts for a definitive answer, but my first thought was that if they gave 4 weeks notice in July, they leave in August .... the notice isn't "suspended from being served until the term resumes".

My mother in law has now received a letter giving her her notice unless she signs the new contract. Is this legal and how best should she approach this situation? Any help would be most gratefully received. DJ67

How long has she been 'continuously employed'?

Is she a member of a union?

Unison believe that term time workers are still in 'continuous employment' over school holidays

"Holiday entitlement suffers from a lack of legal clarity. Term-timers are in continuous employment, unable to claim out-of-work but able to claim in-work benefits."

https://www.unison.org.uk/content/uploads/2013/06/Research-MaterialTerm-time-working3.pdf

Did they actually put these threats in writing???

If so, a strong worded letter from an employment solicitor on behalf of all employees might have a good impact.

Probably with £5 each (if in good numbers) you can get a very good firm to write to the employer.

It's important that you stick together because if nobody signs they will be less inclined to terminate everyone's contract at once.

Also, if they get a counter threat of mass legal action, they would think twice before doing something silly.

If so, a strong worded letter from an employment solicitor on behalf of all employees might have a good impact.

Probably with £5 each (if in good numbers) you can get a very good firm to write to the employer.

It's important that you stick together because if nobody signs they will be less inclined to terminate everyone's contract at once.

Also, if they get a counter threat of mass legal action, they would think twice before doing something silly.

That is an amazing idea!

A group of workers banding together, so they have (collectively) more power than individually!!

You know, they might even decide to pay in a smaller amount each week or month, in advance of a problem. If they considered it some kind of insurance, and did so on a larger scale with other employees, it could bring the cost down even more.

What a great idea. Why hasn't anyone thought of it before?but you haven't suggested a name for such a scheme ....

It makes sense for workers in one area of work / one trade to align their interests, coming together. That is a fair description of what it is, so it could be called:

a Trade Union!

How long has she been 'continuously employed'?

Is she a member of a union?

basically Zero Hours like all the others no come back???? we wish there were. unions are very weak on this subject, not like our days decades ago

also failing to sign a further contract could mean that you have put yourself in such a possition as to be out of work by own fault - been there and lost a tribunal on that front.

like my O.H. abroad they all went on strike for better pay/conditions and wey ho all out of work - == no benefits there also!

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Thanks for the great replies folks.

Until recently all the threats had been verbal but they have now been put in a letter.

Many members have staff have been frightened into signing the new contracts but a few are holding out.

Nobody is opposed to giving four weeks notice but it's the "four working weeks notice" that is the issue.

I've not been able to open the Unison link on my phone but will have a look on my laptop when I get home.

Once more, thanks for your responses

working week = 4 x 5 days

4 weeks = 4 x 7 days = at a lost to your argument.. if me I would get out if I did not like it and get another job- as old memories by the management can get you later, been there and wrote the review and read it

time have changed everybody think they have a right to this that and the other, does not work

The point being that 28 consecutive days is a lot shorter than 20 working days when there is a period of 6 weeks between working days due to employment being term time.

I agree that finding alternative employment would be a good resolution but should a 61 year old woman who has built up a good relationship with colleagues, parents and children have to start again in a new job? If she signs and then decides to change employment in the future, she may struggle to find an employer who will wait over 2 months before she can start.

then better to sign - in that case just to finish off before retiring? we/ many of us have been there and nobody wanted to know us because of our age even at 55 decades ago! now we know it is your mother what does she feel in all this as at the end of the day she is the one in the middle,

I totally see your point.

She's the one that is unhappy about the change in contract.

She is currently paid 5p above minimum wage and if she signs and therefore handcuffs herself to what could be up to 10 weeks then she couldn't realistically go for any positions outside the company that have better pay/conditions. She doesn't want to change jobs at present but being close to retirement and with living costs outstripping wages if an opportunity for a better standard of living arose then it's something that she would have to consider.

Getting back to the initial point though, are the company legally allowed to enforce the change in contract and sack anyone who refuses to sign it or are they acting contrary to employment law?

I've moved this thread from the media forums to the main Employment one. When I viewed the thread earlier I was on my phone and couldn't tell which forum it was in.

Hopefully BazzaS and others will find you now in the main forum and advise you further. :)

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I totally see your point.

She's the one that is unhappy about the change in contract.

She is currently paid 5p above minimum wage and if she signs and therefore handcuffs herself to what could be up to 10 weeks then she couldn't realistically go for any positions outside the company that have better pay/conditions. She doesn't want to change jobs at present but being close to retirement and with living costs outstripping wages if an opportunity for a better standard of living arose then it's something that she would have to consider.

Getting back to the initial point though, are the company legally allowed to enforce the change in contract and sack anyone who refuses to sign it or are they acting contrary to employment law?

How long has she been employed under current employment contract ?

A company i have worked for decided to change contract terms regarding hours of working and various. They did not enforce the change on those who did not want it, as there were some who had part time hours contracts, with very good terms and the new contract was inferior. There was an incentive offered on the new contract, making it better for most full time staff and they signed it.

I am not sure of the legality in trying to force a contract change on those with more than 2 years service. I think you would have to raise concerns in writing about the contract terms being offered and look to negotiate them. A minimum of a months notice is standard in most contracts and if anyone was successful in applying for another job, the new employer would be aware of it. They would simply wait, as they had no choice.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Unfortunately, this advice only works if the employer is doing something silly. And they are not. They are following the law by the book.

An employer is permitted to enforce a change in contractual terms. In order to do so they must terminate the existing contract with notice and, at the same time, offer the employees the new contract. If the employee then turns up to work the day after the notice has run, then they have accepted the new term - a signature isn't required on contracts.

It is possible that such an enforced change could give rise to a claim of unfair dismissal, but in my opinion this would not be successful because the change is not unreasonable. And entails no loss to the employees.

As had been suggested already, notice runs from the day after it is served - not from the next term time day!

The "threat" to sue employees who don't comply with notice requirements already exists in law, so it isn't a threat, more a statement of fact. The employer can only sure for quantifiable loss however. That is only going to be the difference between what it would have cost to keep the worker for that month, and to replace them- if anything at all, likely to be peanuts. And such threats are rarely carried out, although I will emphasis that they can be, and employers who have problems with staff leaving without notice might decide to make an example of people to make their point.

Frankly, if you don't want to sign, don't. But if that is the case you should accept that your employment is over. I am afraid it really is one or the other. But hopefully, in the correct context, you will also see that this isn't as bad as you thought it was.

That is an amazing idea!

A group of workers banding together, so they have (collectively) more power than individually!!

You know, they might even decide to pay in a smaller amount each week or month, in advance of a problem. If they considered it some kind of insurance, and did so on a larger scale with other employees, it could bring the cost down even more.

What a great idea. Why hasn't anyone thought of it before?but you haven't suggested a name for such a scheme ....

It makes sense for workers in one area of work / one trade to align their interests, coming together. That is a fair description of what it is, so it could be called:

a Trade Union!

You're always great at criticising others but not too good at anything else.

This case clearly doesn't involve a union otherwise they would have intervened immediately and most likely the op wouldn't be asking advice here.

It seems that you follow certain people on this forum to attack them at every opportunity.

This makes you look like a clown, or maybe you are one and just doing your job.

You're always great at criticising others but not too good at anything else.

This case clearly doesn't involve a union otherwise they would have intervened immediately and most likely the op wouldn't be asking advice here.

It seems that you follow certain people on this forum to attack them at every opportunity.

This makes you look like a clown, or maybe you are one and just doing your job.

People who are union members still post here ; the two aren't mutually exclusive, so your 'logic' is flawed (and not just on that point ......)

Yup, I'm definately "following people on this forum" : in fact, I'm doing it psychically!! One can tell this as I knew to follow people onto this thread before they even posted on it, using my internet psychic powers..... you can see this by the fact I was the first person to reply on this thread!

psychic you see.

I'm currently working on upgrading this to replying even before the OP starts the thread, but that is a whole new level of psychic ability, and may take some time.

Or, it could just be that I was already on this thread ..... so perhaps you are following me?

Then posting your usual "fire from the hip, posts" : sometimes correct, often way off the mark (like accusing me of "following people to attack them at every opportunity", when in fact I had already replied on the thread before you chimed in), and occasionally downright wrong or risky in the advice you offer.

I've a solution for you : put more care and thought into your posts and:

a) you won't have the illogical nature of false accusations highlighted

b) sticking to those posts where your replies are logical, sensible and correct will mean you'll get criticised less.

As for "not too good for anything else" : didn't I highlight I thought the date of notice being given couldn't be 'suspended" until the start of the new term?

Didn't I edit my post, amending it to highlight that the employee is in continuous employment even outside of term times?

And provide a citation (research / evidence) showing where Unison stated this to be the case .... ahh well, if that is "not too good", what does it make your posts where they show poor logic and an absence of substance?

Returning from your distractions to helping the OP:

Meanwhile, how long has the OP (well, the person they are asking for) been continuously employed?

Are they in a union? (I agree, probably not, but they could be).

You'll note I asked these in post #2 on this thread .....

Sangie : does laying off all the workers and re-hiring those who sign the new contract constitute creating redundancies?

Bazza - good question but no it doesn't constitute redundancy. Here's how it works. The law recognises that employers do need the ability to change contractual terms; but equally that there is an imbalance of power that means that employers should not simply be able to do so on a whim. So it lays down a simple process for both parties. The employer tells the employee what they wish to change. The employee had the right to say no. Then the employer, if you do not accept the refusal, gives notice under the current contractual / statutory rules as appropriate but must, at the same time, offer the employee the new terms to run continuously from the end of their current contract. The employee can choose to accept the terms. Or they can refuse to do so, and in such cases the refusal becomes a dismissal, subject to the same criteria of fairness or unfairness as any other.

In the latter circumstance, a claim of unfair dismissal would test that the process as I just explained had been applied; and if it had, as in the OP's case, then move on to consider the severity of the change. That speaks to the reasonableness of their refusal - in fact it is sort of redundancy in reverse! If the change is so substantial as to go to the heart of the contract, then in all probability a tribunal would find it unfair dismissal, which, in legal terms, would be better than redundancy because the award would be greater.

But here, the only change is that the person must give four weeks notice instead of one. My opinion is that a tribunal would find that entirely fair - the employer offers a service with children, and replacement of staff would not be straightforward. You can't just draft someone in at the drop of a hat. Asking for four weeks notice isn't so much - it costs the employee nothing except working a bit longer, and four weeks notice is far from uncommon these days.

As I indicated before, the "threat" isn't a change - the employer can do this right now if someone leaves without giving notice, so highlighting it is really a promise! What they are saying is that will do it. Whether they will or not is another matter, but I probably wouldn't advise testing this - when employers start saying things of this nature, it suggests that their patience has already been pushed too far! I would lay bets that somewhere in here had been one or more people who didn't even work the weeks notice.

So, for clarity, no... this is not and never would be redundancy.

It's all well and good as long as the change is reasonable. I would say that 4 weeks notice is reasonable and is in line with accepted standards.

4 TERM TIME weeks notice however is not reasonable, as this could be as upto 10 weeks. The school can still recruit during any holiday time so 4 calendar weeks should be enough.

See Unison link in post #2.

OP is continuously employed even during the non-term times, so "4 weeks notice only starting when term resumes" isn't the same as "4 weeks notice", and insisting on the former may make any dismissal unfair, whereas (as Sangie's post explains eloquently) the later is unlikely to be unfair.

OP should clarify if the employer really is saying that "4 working weeks excludes non-term time", given OP is continuously employed .....

It's all well and good as long as the change is reasonable. I would say that 4 weeks notice is reasonable and is in line with accepted standards.

4 TERM TIME weeks notice however is not reasonable, as this could be as upto 10 weeks. The school can still recruit during any holiday time so 4 calendar weeks should be enough.

This is in fact a very very common contract term for schools and is reasonable because it's about all important contnuity for the kids.

If everyone is on a term time contract and the candidates have childcare going on, recruitment won't happen.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!