Caravan Blackhorse - Caravan HP problems.refund issues..**WON VIA FOS**

Surfer01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1245 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a Dometic Freshjet 2200 air conditioner fitted into our caravan last year in late May. In June we had an issue with water dripping into the caravan from the air conditioner. We contacted the supplier who had fitted the air con and their response was for us to chase up the nearest Dometic agent.

We had chosen this supplier in Exmouth as they claimed they had agents all over the UK who could do the work. we have since found out that they do not have a network of agents as it is the manufacturer's network that they use.

Needless to say that when we contacted the nearest Dometic agent last year, we were referred back to the supplier and a game of ping pong ensured and it took 2 months to get sorted out. The work was done in October just prior to the caravan going into storage. From that point until recently we never had any opportunity to test the air con again until recently when we had some warm weather.

We now again have the same problem and on contacting the supplier are told that we must contact the agent and make the arrangements. I have always been under the impression that it is the responsibility of the supplier to arrange repairs etc.

In addition as the first repair which was reported within the 6 month period never resolved the issue so what are my rights? Dometic acknowledged that there is an issue otherwise they woudl not have authorised the modification. Seems it is an inherent fault?

Am I right or wrong in telling the supplier that it is their responsibility to arrange an engineer to visit the caravan? They have given me the option to taking the caravan back to them in Exmouth which is impractical and would cost us money considering they are supposed to have a network of agents or for me to contact the Dometic engineer for the game of ping pong to resume. All I want is for them to contact the engineer to get the issue resolved. Should I be chasing the Dometic engineer to do the repair or should the supplier chase them? Thanks.

You if the unit was bought and installed by the same people – than the mattress straightforward. It is all the responsibility of that company.

If that is the supplier then they are completely wrong to try and pass the buck onto the agent.

Please tell us who the supplier is because I think that people should know.

Luckily, because you've been here since 2006, you have followed our customer services guide and you have been recording all telephone calls and you have got stack of evidence which shows that they are passing the buck. This will be extremely useful to you if and when you need to take action against them

Because your contract was before the Consumer Protection Act 2015 – before October 2015, you come under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Frankly, in terms of the quality of the installation it doesn't make a jot of difference.

Also, your remedies would be the same because it is after six months that you are starting to complain.

As far as their being any rule about and assumed inherent fault within a further six-month period, I don't think there is any such rule. I think that this is a bit of a urban legend. It certainly not included in the statute and I'm not aware that it has ever been a pronouncement of any court.

I think that you need to start detailing everything that has happened, very carefully. Send a formal letter to the supplier – outlining everything that has happened and also you should outline all the exchanges you have had with them so far and the fact that they have tried to pass the buck onto the agent. Point out to them that because they are acting for the agent, you are copying the letter out to the agent as well – and you may as well leverage the anxiety of the agent as well. Tell them both that because it is not clear as to who owns liability in this, that if you have to take court action then you will sue them jointly.

Although we both know that it is not the agent's responsibility, I expect that this will excite the agent a little bit and he will start putting pressure on the supplier as well. You never know, their could even be a threat by the agent to stop designating the supplier as an official distributor of their product and that might make them nervous too.

Who is the supplier?

We complained about the water dripping less than 3 months after purchase. I then played ping pong to get it rectified in October which obviously has not happened as the same issue is still there.

All we want them to do is to contact the service agent to inform the agent that we have a warranty issue and that we will be contacting the agent to arrange a repair. Once we know they have updated the agent with our details, then we can proceed with making an appointment.

Well, as I have already suggested, I think you should detail it all in a letter – make it brief, chronological, bullet pointed, with a formal heading and then send it to the supplier as well as the agent.

There may well be a warranty issue, but you are still covered by your statutory consumer rights. If you wanted, you could bring an action based on a breach of their warranty as well is a breach of your statutory rights.

However, I still suggest writing in the way that I have suggested above – and to both parties so that everybody can see what is happening and in a way which introduces a bit of conflict between the two parties – supplier and agent – because that will help you.

Thanks for the above. The supplier has now come back to me to state that they contacted the agent nearest to us and now realise why we had aggro last year with the agent as he admitted to them he never responded to emails or messages left on his phone leaving us in limbo. They have now contacted another agent who will be doing the work. Not sure why they did not do this in the first place when I raised the issue?

• 11 months later...

We have had numerous issues with a caravan purchased from a dealership

in less than a year we have had approximately 44 issues with the caravan with several issues being serious.

Four of the issues resulted in the front and rear panels being repaired and then replaced.

The advice I got from a lawyer was as follows;

Although I appreciate you approached XXX Caravans to supply you the caravan, as you took out a hire purchase agreement with Black Horse, they are the retailer of the caravan. T

herefore any rights you have under consumer law are to be exercised against Black Horse and not XXX Caravans.

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 Black Horse have an obligation to ensure the goods supplied to you under a contract are of satisfactory quality.

This means they should be fit for their purpose, free from minor defects, safe and durable.

For the problems you have described in your email it would appear this is not the case, as a result Black Horse are in breach of the contract between you.

I have always been under the impression that the supplier is the retailer and that the contract is between the consumer and the supplier and if there are any issues I need to approach the supplier and not the finance company although the finance company do have a responsibility.

As we have had so many issues with this caravan which appears to be a Friday afternoon lemon made from left over pieces of other rejected caravans, we are considering rejecting the caravan even though we have had it since July 2016.

The £1000 deposit was paid using a credit card with the balance financed by a trade in and HP. The caravan cost in excess of £30000. We have had approximately 100 days usage from the caravan.

The question is whether the advice from the lawyer is correct or not? Thanks.

Edited by dx100uk

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 1 month later...

We bought a brand new caravan which had so many faults on it that 11 months later we finally rejected the caravan.

In order to buy the caravan we traded in a caravan with a value of £13000 and paid a cash deposit of £1000 making total deposit paid £14000.

The rejection has been accepted by Black Horse who in their "Final decision letter" (the one and only letter from them) are paying the 8% statutory interest on deposit plus compensation for distress, loss of enjoyment and loss of use plus statutory interest.

However they have instructed the dealership to return our old caravan to us which has been on the dealer's forecourt since July 2016.

Do they have a right to do this as surely the trade in does not belong to Black Horse and they do not own the dealership?

Obviously the caravan has probably had loads of people tramping in and out of it plus it has aged a year or in caravan years almost 2 years so it is worth less now than a year ago.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 section 20(11) and 20(12) states that where you transfer something other than money you are entitled to have that back the same amount of what you transferred. If it cannot be substituted you can have the original returned to you.

In this case the caravan can be substituted with the monetary value of the caravan.

Black Horse do not seem to understand this legislation and are bouncing us between themselves and the dealership.

The dealership states Black Horse instructed the dealership to return the trade in to us and unless they get further instruction from Black horse their hands are tied which leaves us in limbo.

Please confirm whether I am correct in thinking that it is Black Horse that should be reimbursing us the deposit money as in the meantime we have put down a small deposit on another new 2017 caravan to secure it and do not want to lose either our deposit or the new 2017 caravan. Thanks.

trying to work you out here..

you don't want the old caravan back, but the equiv in monetary value?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I think that's entirely fair.

You got a refund 11 months after purchase and your caravan back.

I dont think your argument of people tramping in and out holds water.

They, Blackhorse have given you everything you originally had and interest @8% AND compensation.

I think that's fair

trying to work you out here..

you don't want the old caravan back, but the equiv in monetary value?

That is correct as the trade in caravan has lost value after one year.

if the dealer had sold it on either BH or the dealer would have to refund the monetary value of the trade in caravan.

I have quoted current legislation section 20 of CRA which seems to indicate I am correct.

Someone needs to refund the trade in value of the caravan.

In addition ,

we made over payments totally £555 over the past year and BH refunding that either?

I feel that as per the law we should not suffer financially as it is not our fault we were supplied with a Friday afternoon caravan that kept falling to bits every time you used it.

well whichever way its resolved,

you are quite correct that you should be placed back in the same financial position as if none of this had ever taken place.

and any compensation is in addition to this position.

does the BH letter specifically state its their final response?

or does it use the term you may consider this as...

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The dealer has not sold it tho.

Your offer is refund from Blackhorse. I presume that's all your payments made. Your traded in item. Interest at 8% and compensation.

Again I feel that's entirely fair. This is not a cash cow for you

well whichever way its resolved,

you are quite correct that you should be placed back in the same financial position as if none of this had ever taken place. and any compensation is in addition to this position. does the BH letter specifically state its their final response? or does it use the term you may consider this as...

Thanks DX. Seems you are the only one able to understand the legislation correctly. This whole issue has dragged on for nearly a year due to the time taken for the major repairs. BH specifically state in their one and only letter that it is their final response. I spoke with the "Complaints Manager" person who is just another body in a chair and not really a manager who confirmed verbally to me that it was their final response. According to legislation and other sources it is the responsibility of BH to get the monetary value of the trade in deposit back to me however this they are refusing stating that they have washed their hands of it and it is up to the dealer to refund.

However the dealer has been told by BH to return the caravan to me although no one knows the state of the trade in plus in order to maintain the water ingress warranty it had to be serviced annually.

It was not serviced in October last year so the warranty against water ingress no longer applies and if there is water ingress the trade in value would be even less. We have no idea if it has suffered any damage, water or otherwise in the past year.

After all we are going to buy another caravan and sue BH again so all they have to do is transfer the money from one account to the other or something along those lines. I am amazed that people suggest that we should be happy to lose £2-3000 even though we are not at fault at all.

and they

Thread moved to the appropriate forum

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Our next payment is due on the 20th

which could be a reason why BH are dragging their heels and not giving me a collection date.

We are dropping off the caravan at the dealership on the 19th to avoid this extra payment even though we will be a month in advance with our payments.

I have also raised a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman and submitted a copy of the "Final Decision" letter to the Ombudsman so no need to wait the 8 weeks.

I also mention to the Ombudsman that we had phoned and tried to negotiate with BH,

but that they told us that if we were not happy with the decision we must take it up with the Ombudsman.

Maybe BH thought I would not escalate it as we will need further credit from BH for the new caravan and upsetting the apple cart may jeopardise our chances of a new credit agreement.

The 30 day rejection period can be extended as there is a little know facts regarding it;

I have been searching and reading up on the law and trying to understand it. it transpires that although nearly a year has passed we are still in the waiting period. I came across this which may help others.

"If within the first 30 days, the consumer requests a repair or replacement (whether they or you propose this remedy), a waiting period is entered into during which time the 30 day period stops running. The waiting period begins on the day the consumer asks for a repair or replacement, and ends with the day the consumer receives the goods back from you. On return of the goods, the consumer then has the remainder of the 30 day period, or 7 days (whichever is the longer period of time) still to exercise their short-time right to reject, if the goods still do not meet the requirements of the Act, either because of the same or a further issue."

Therefore if the repair takes 3 months to be effected I am guessing that technically you are still in the 30 day waiting period when it comes to rejection? Any one care to comment?

yes,

again not new law but a clarification of what had already beed decided by the courts some years ago regarding a faulty new car.

as you dont have the goods the clock isnt ticking so take an item back on day 2,

get it returned to you on day 28 and you arent limited to either accept of reject the item in the next 2 days.

In our case on day one two major faults were found, they could only do the repair until mid October.

They were only able to repair one of the faults and could not do the other until Feb 2017.

When doing the replacement of a panel, the other panel originally repaired developed a fault which they could only then do in mid May 2017.

Two weeks later the replaced panel failed again at which point we had enough and rejected the unit.

I assume it would have still been under the 30 day waiting period?

We purchased a caravan and have had numerous issues with it resulting in it being rejected and the rejection being accepted.

However there is still an ongoing dispute regarding the caravan and a monetary payout.

Can we send a SAR to the dealership asking for all correspondence,

etc including correspondence between the dealership and the manufacturer regarding claims for repairs to the caravan

plus any other repairs done to the caravan by any third party organisations?

What should I be asking for as this is probably going to end up being handed over to solicitors or going to court due to the amount being over 30K. Thanks.

That is not really a subject access request. That is disclosure of all documents related to the caravan which you can ask for if you took it to court.

An SAR under the DPA is about you as a data subject. Therefore if you made such a request, they might only send anything where your name is mentioned. Where it only relates to caravan repairs, they might not provide them.

If you want consumer law advice or information to assist, then Bankfodder and others are more knowledgeable in this, but they would need more information. E.g. Was it new or second hand, when you bought it, when you first registered problems, how many repairs attempted etc. Provide more info and a story will enable people to comment more.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It was brand new when purchased. Several repairs attempted however rejection has been accepted but the dispute is over the amount being refunded so if I can find anything to show them in a bad light I will need it. See my other post HERE.

It seems that no one can answer whether we are still in the 30 day waiting period as that would be a totally new ball game and really stack the odds in my favour.