Car insurance claim

Saj33
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2485 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

A relative of mine informed me of a situation and i am on here just to get some advice.

My relative was driving slowly on a busy road in front of some shops

as they were driving trying to find a parking space they accidentally scraped a parked car in front.

They stopped and tried to find the owner of the car but could not find them.

They left the scene without leaving their details,

they did however write a letter to their insurance company informing them about what happened, this was not sent via recorded delivery.

A few days later they recieved a call from the police who informed them the other driver reported an accident, my relative gave their details to pass onto the other driver.

A letter came today from my relatives insurance company stating they have been informed of an accident however they were not informed by the person of the insured driver on the policy. They have listed the terms and conditions of when you should report an accident to them.

My query here is

what can happen now,

is my relative liable for the repair costs of the other driver?

I am a little worred the insurance company may say my relative didnt inform them of the accident in a reasonable amount of time.

Incident occured 12 days ago

I'd be more concerned about them being prosecuted for leaving the scene of an accident and then failing to report the accident to the police.

Did they get a proof of posting?. If not the insurers may say "well, you didn't leave your details nor report the accident to the police.

You didn't report the accident to us by phone : can you prove you informed us by letter, and why did you not inform us by phone first?"

They may not believe a letter was sent given the other failures.

None the less, they shouldn't decline a claim (an 'at fault' of your relative claim)

Hi,

The letter was not sent via recorded delivery. My relative is 68 and was not thinking straight at the time

Your relative just needs to phone their Insurers and they will deal with it. The Insurers will just need to run through an accident report form. They will then deal with the third party claim.

Nothing is likely to happen in regard to Police about leaving scene of accident. No one was Injured and it is just a case of Insurers sorting it out between them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Your relative just needs to phone their Insurers and they will deal with it. The Insurers will just need to run through an accident report form. They will then deal with the third party claim.

Nothing is likely to happen in regard to Police about leaving scene of accident. No one was Injured and it is just a case of Insurers sorting it out between them.

I agree, just ring the insurers and it should all get sorted.