style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2486 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello guys

I had a visit from the bailiff last week for council tax arrears

they walked into my property and up the stairs before I got to my living room door as I live in upstairs flat so too late they were in

we're ready with a list of what they were taking

these 2 bailiffs were looking in my drawers and cupboards is this allowed ???

I managed to borrow the 2,600 pound from my mother but was very distressing to say the least .

But it doesnt end there I'm afraid

I've had another letter from rossendales for another 700 pound for a different yr council tax .

I have been to the council to ask to take the debt back but they said no .

Since 2008 I have lived on my own and never claimed the 25% reduction of which I now have put a claim in today

was told this can be backdated a few years which will probably bring my bill down quite a bit

I have had an expenditure letter from rossendales

am I best filling it in and sending it off to them

as I do not want to go through that sinario again

I do work 30 hrs a week and live alone .

.any help from you guys will be totally appreciated

... Many thanks

Yes, they are allowed to walk in and yes, they are allowed to search through cupboards, drawers, in fact, anywhere they want. An they van force entry to any locked rooms, cupboards, safes etc.

My advice would be to complete the income and expenditure form but nite in it that you are in talks to reduce the bill via the 25% discount but in the meantime offering £x per month to try an chip away. Normally, they will not make arrangements going over 12 months, sometimes only 6 months.

Thread moved to the correct forum..please continue to post here to your thread.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

why aren't you paying you council tax?

it 2nd only to rent/mortgage!!

drop everything else like mobile phones and catalogues and cards etc down to

might pay you to send the council this:

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

H

I managed to borrow the 2,600 pound from my mother but was very distressing to say the least. But it doesnt end there I'm afraid. I've had another letter from rossendales for another 700 pound for a different yr council tax. I have been to the council to ask to take the debt back but they said no .

Since 2008 I have lived on my own and never claimed the 25% reduction of which I now have put a claim in today was told this can be backdated a few years which will probably bring my bill down quite a bit.

I have had an expenditure letter from Rossendales. Am I best filling it in and sending it off to them as I do not want to go through that sinario again. I do work 30 hrs a week and live alone .any help from you guys will be totally appreciated

The visit must have been very distressing and I would agree with 'Grumpy' that you really must complete the Income & Expenditure and get it returned back to Rossendales as quickly as possible.

Many councils will only entertain a backdated request for Single Person Discount over 2 or maybe 3 years. If your council are willing to consider backdating your claim for 9 years then you are very fortunate indeed and the amount that you owe may reduce dramatically.

PS: Given the level of arrears, I wonder why the council did not make an application for an Attachment of Earnings? Hopefully, with the SPD application, your situation may well be resolved quite soon.

Since 2008 I have lived on my own and never claimed the 25% reduction of which I now have put a claim in today

was told this can be backdated a few years which will probably bring my bill down quite a bit

There's nothing within legislation to prevent a discount being backdated to the vert start of council tax if needed however on a practical level a local authority won't backdate if they're not satisfied that a discount would apply. Many local authorities will however use the Limitation Act 1980 to try and restrict backdating (a contentious issue in respect of valuation tribunals).

If the local authority will not backdate or try to restrict backdating then it would require a valuation tribunal hearing to make the determination.

Craig