Mixed up Water Meters - help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2494 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Evening,

My neighbours and I have just discovered that my house's actual water meter is officially registered as my next door neighbours supply. My official water meter is actually 99's. My next door neighbours official water meter is actually number 99's. Number 99's official water meter is actually my next door neighbours.

We have all lived in the same houses since they were built and commissioned with water meters in 2011.

We are all aware of our water meter serial numbers as per our bills and information sharing. We have carried out testing together and made the following findings:

Me - bill useage 455 m3 - actual 256 m3

My next door neighbour - bill useage 256 m3 - actual 844 m3

Number 99 - bill useage 844 m3 - actual 455 m3.

Conclusion:

I have over paid 200 m3 too much by paying number 99's useage

My next door neighbour has under paid by 588 m3 by paying my useage

Number 99 has over paid by 389 m3 by paying my next door neighbour useage

We all pay by direct debit.

We are obviously poised ready to contact the water company but we are unsure wther to do this as a group or as individuals?

Am I due a refund?

Can I cancel my direct debit?

Call the Police?

Demand compensation,

charge for access to my house if necessary?

Call Ofwat?

Sue 'em?

Is there a course of action that one can take for these types of scenarios?

Thanks for your time?

Dave

It won't be the water companies fault unless they installed the meters allocating them incorrectly against each house.

Best course of action is to phone the water company and explain that there has been a mistake with the water meter set up for 3 houses. They will probably want to send someone out to check first and then see if it was their mistake.

Start this investigation process first and i am sure the water company will engage with all concerned to try to resolve. I would not jump in with a complaint yet.

Don't cancel the Direct Debit, unless you find that the water company are slow in resolving.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

nothing to do with the police its a civil matter

you each simply need to write an individual letter

BRIEFLY pointing out the errors you have found.

and its to the water company you pay.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Which water company?

Good Morning,

Thanks for all your replies.

I have written to them now as instructed by the consumer council for water who are the national watch dog for consumers/households regarding all things water.

I'll refrain from mentioning the water company just yet as I have to protect their integrity for the moment as I have not received an official response from them.

I was also advised to add that my complaint is an individual complaint and not part of a group.

Regards,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening,

Here's the latest update:

The water company have acknowledged my letter of complaint and have arranged to visit next week in the evening to verify my findings.

My neighbours will also be in attendance as our water supplies are required to be turned off and on during the investigation process.

They have noted in writing that once the information has been collected they will discuss the results with me.

CC Water are also aware of the progress of this matter and I have forwarded them the email trail that has been produced since email communication commenced.

I'll keep you posted..

Dave

well done

moving fwd then

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening,

My complaint has been verified and confirmed. In total, three properties have had their water supplies crossed over to other properties water accounts. This has been the case since the properties were moved into from 2011 onwards.

The water company have told me they are quantifying the mistake and I have informed CCW of the announcement as they are also in the communication loop.

I have also been in touch with my bank and now have in my knowledge bank all the water direct debits (63 payments) since I moved into that address so I know precisely how much I have paid for water as a sum total and what dates.

I am awaiting their proposal(s)

Dave

So what is the industry standard way of dealing with this ?

There should be legislation and/or rules coverlng this situation.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

My friend was in the exact same situation and after a complaint to ofwat he was only charged the difference between what he had paid and what he should have paid in the previous 12 months minus £200 compo.

His meter was crossed with that of an old lady living on her own and he has a family of 5.

When he told the woman she was gonna get a refund going back since meter installation (2010) she almost had an heart attack.

Her case is still ongoing though because water company disputes the fact that they're out of pocket with my friend,

they only want to repay what she paid extra in the last 12 months.

All charges are documented like in your case.

So don't give up and start the ofwat complaint.