Capquest suddenly chasing a very old student loan - can they do that?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2528 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I left uni in 1999 and deferred my SL for a few years while my earnings were under the threshold. I started paying probably in about 2003 and stopped in 2007 when I left the country. I have not heard anything from SLC since then and have made no payments since then. I'm back in the UK now.

Today I got a letter from Capquest saying there is £2358 outstanding but they will accept £1650 as a settlement. I've read elsewhere here about asking them to provide a CCA or tell them that the debt is now statute barred as I have not heard from anyone or made a payment for 10 years now.

Could anyone advise me what I should do? The letter is not threatening, its written with green highlights (though I'm sure these will soon turn red), however it does say "If visible on your credit file we will mark your account as satisfied with a partial settlement flag". Obviously I don't want them going near my credit file.

Thanks

Settlement and capquest means its a lemon debt. You can ignore it. Its SB. They know it but theyre so greedy they still try and get money from you.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi,

I left uni in 1999 and deferred my SL for a few years while my earnings were under the threshold. I started paying probably in about 2003 and stopped in 2007 when I left the country. I have not heard anything from SLC since then and have made no payments since then. I'm back in the UK now.

Today I got a letter from Capquest saying there is £2358 outstanding but they will accept £1650 as a settlement. I've read elsewhere here about asking them to provide a CCA or tell them that the debt is now statute barred as I have not heard from anyone or made a payment for 10 years now.

Could anyone advise me what I should do? The letter is not threatening, its written with green highlights (though I'm sure these will soon turn red), however it does say "If visible on your credit file we will mark your account as satisfied with a partial settlement flag". Obviously I don't want them going near my credit file.

Thanks

Can you confirm years you took out the loans.

Should be statute barred if first loan year was pre 1998 and you can just tell them what they are chasing is subject to statute of limitations and you ask them to stop contacting you unless they have proof to the contrary.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

the loans cant no

and I doubt a CCJ could be gained after all this time

are you resident at the last known address with SLC?

or would get mail if it went there

you need to read the threads in that link first and get up to speed as well.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

credit file

ok well you need to protect against a backdoor CCJ.

send our statute barred letter from the debt collection section of our library

and they