Moved into new house, mismatch with Electricity Reading

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2523 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'll be brief. We moved into a new property a couple of months ago (we're renting), and the agency supplied to the EOn our gas and leccy meter readings.

Last week we received the first bill with the estimate consumption and, we thought, it looked reasonable. We then checked the meter reading ourselves for the first time and...

SHOCK!

The meter reads 27***, while the starting reading (two months ago, bear in mind), shows 21***.

From where the meter is placed, it's pretty hard to read the little digits displayed, and we think that the second digit (the "7") got read as a "1"... if you look at a digital display from the top at an angle it's pretty easy to confuse a 7 for a 1. Try it :-)

Anyway, looking at the previous estimate AND knowing that the property has used 27*** kWh of electricity in 7 years (when the meter was replaced and zeroed - there's a label on it), suggesting that on average it should not consume more than 3800 kWh PER YEAR, this seems to be a meter reading mistake through and through.

My question for you all is... what are we supposed to do? We certainly don't want to pay 1200£ of leccy for a reading error!

Thanks a lot

Paolo

Get on the phone to sort it out. EON should be able to look back at readings against the meter number so should be able to see the mistake and rectify it.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

First time we move in a property where we the bills are not included :-( ... we forgot to look... I suppose you live and learn.

The inventory shows the 21*** value, which makes no sense. We know our landlord / agency is pretty decent, hopefully we can sort this out...

Hi all,

I'll be brief. We moved into a new property a couple of months ago (we're renting), and the agency supplied to the EOn our gas and leccy meter readings.

Last week we received the first bill with the estimate consumption and, we thought, it looked reasonable. We then checked the meter reading ourselves for the first time and...

SHOCK!

The meter reads 27***, while the starting reading (two months ago, bear in mind), shows 21***.

From where the meter is placed, it's pretty hard to read the little digits displayed, and we think that the second digit (the "7") got read as a "1"... if you look at a digital display from the top at an angle it's pretty easy to confuse a 7 for a 1. Try it :-)

Anyway, looking at the previous estimate AND knowing that the property has used 27*** kWh of electricity in 7 years (when the meter was replaced and zeroed - there's a label on it), suggesting that on average it should not consume more than 3800 kWh PER YEAR, this seems to be a meter reading mistake through and through.

My question for you all is... what are we supposed to do? We certainly don't want to pay 1200£ of leccy for a reading error!

Thanks a lot

Paolo

Hello Paolo and hope the move went well.

Don't worry, we're happy to accept meter readings from customers. I understand the meter is in a bit of an awkward spot but, if you're able to read it, let us have the reading and we can see about rebilling the account. Don't know if it's possible but a photo would be great.

As unclebulgaria says, if the start reading given by the letting agency is wrong, we can look back at the readings we have for the property in the past and see when it started to go out of kilter. Our Home Moves team will be able to look at this for you. They're available on the phone or through our Social Media (twitter and Facebook) channels as well as the Live Chat service on our website.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction Paolo.

Malc