Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder Rexroth Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Mar 2014

Default Landlord threatening court action for access for gas safety certificate

My Landlord, a housing association, is threatening legal action for access to examine a gas boiler in my rooms. I think that the application would go before a magistrates court. My question is do I get notice so I can defend the case?

There is no gas boiler in my rooms. The landlord knows this. I have reminded them several times and they don't seem to believe me. It is a case of administrative chaos rather than deliberate harassment. Any ideas, please?

Royalties Account Holder Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo's Avatar

Cagger since : Feb 2008

Blog Entries

Default Re: Landlord threatening court action for access for gas safety certificate

Who's the HA?

Use their complaints process, speak with your housing officer and drag them inside and show them there is no such gas boiler.

Are you fully electric then?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!
    HOW DO I START A NEW THREAD?

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    45002 Highly informative 45002 Highly informative 45002 Highly informative 45002 Highly informative 45002 Highly informative 45002 Highly informative 45002's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2007

Default Re: Landlord threatening court action for access for gas safety certificate

Quote Originally Posted by Rexroth
    My Landlord, a housing association, is threatening legal action for access to examine a gas boiler in my rooms. I think that the application would go before a magistrates court. My question is do I get notice so I can defend the case?

There is no gas boiler in my rooms. The landlord knows this. I have reminded them several times and they don't seem to believe me. It is a case of administrative chaos rather than deliberate harassment. Any ideas, please?
    Have you a gas supply and any gas appliances that need to be checked every 12 months !

Just say No to 0870 and 0845 Numbers,Use

http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php
    Follows
    Following

Site Team mariner51 Highly informative mariner51 Highly informative mariner51 Highly informative mariner51 Highly informative mariner51 Highly informative mariner51 Highly informative mariner51's Avatar

Cagger since : Jan 2011

Even if your property does not have a gas supply, a minor gas leak may be suspected in locality or just precautionary, given the recent devastating gas explosion in N West
    If you have nothing to hide, why not just accept inspection & let HA waste their time & money?
    Best not to be vexatious.

My last T who refused a GSC inspection was served a s21.

Basic Account Holder Good Sister Informative Good Sister Informative Good Sister Informative

Cagger since : Mar 2012

Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, your HA / landlord are legally required to have a gas safety check done on your property every 12 months. A bit of paper from their chosen contractor stating that they are satisfied there is nothing to check will fulfil their legal requirements; correspondence from yourself will not have the same effect.

They should have copies of the previous year's certificate (believe they have to keep them for 2 years) which should show that there was nothing there last year, but like a car's MOT certificate, it's only really a record of what was done/checked that specific day - things can still go wrong in the meantime. In this case, gas appliances can be fitted at any time in the year and your HA has to ask for access for the gas checks every year because things do sometimes change. It's worth mentioning you can ask for copies of previous gas safety certificates, but they won't help you in this particular argument.

You haven't mentioned the type of accommodation you live in, but if you are living in an area where you are in close proximity to other residents (e.g. a flat), it's not just for yours and their benefit - it's for that of your neighbours too, as mariner51 above alludes to.

There are lots of battles worth fighting - but this really isn't one of them.

Any pearls of wisdom that I give on the CAG forums is based on previous experiences and knowledge I have gained from being on these forums. If you have found any comments to be helpful (mine or anyone else's) please click the star button under the helpful comment so you can help other CAG members with their decision making.
    Follows
    Following

Site Team stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2010

Hi

I have to agree with Good Sister for that excellent advice there are battles worth fighting and the easiest and most simple solution to this is to grant them access as the contractor then has to do a Gas Safety Inspection and has to report there findings to the HA (Landlord Gas Safety Certificate which you should get a copy of) and that the contractor has to be Gas Safety Registered. https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

Are you sure you have no Gas Supply to your property? (some HA like my own have dual fuel i.e. I could fit either an electric or gas cooker)

What Meters do you have for the property? (Electricity or Gas or both)

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

How to Start Your Own Thread **CLICK HERE**

Credit Reference Agencies: Experian Equifax CallCredit noddle<<<<CRA FILE INFO IS HERE<<<<

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.
    If you wish to check my advice please seek other independent/professional sources.

Be assured that our advice and support is FREE on CAG.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Follows
    Following

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details