Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder IhateBG Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : May 2017

Default Interest on money taken when no service was supplied

Hi,

I am thinking of making a small claimsicon court case against British Gas.

After paying them as a residential customer for nine years I tried to transfer my account to Scottish Power. Eventually it transpired that my flat was shipperless (there was no supplier) and British Gas therefore refunded me ~£7,000 they had charged me over the years. They refused to tell me how this amount was calculated saying that the information was archived.

I think they should pay me interest on the money they have refunded which would come to nearly £1000. Do you think the court would entertain this? I went to the Energy Ombudsmen and they agreed with British Gas that as I had got free gas for nine years no interest was payable.

In my opinion this is a separate matter, another unknown gas company was supplying me and were too useless to charge me and have now lost the right to do so. Lucky me! That doesn’t make it OK for British Gas to take my money for a service they did not supply without compensation for inflation over the years. BG took my money they had no right to and would have earned interest while it was sitting in their bank account.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    M

Royalties Account Holder citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2007

Default Re: Interest on money taken when no service was supplied

Are you able to look at your bank statements to see how much your Direct Debits were to ensure you have been refunded the full amount?

I am not sure about interest though - whilst you are correct - they would have earned interest on the money you have parted with - however, you have had free gas for that period of time.

It will be interesting to see what other caggers think

Royalties Account Holder citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2007

Have you considered sending a Subject access requesticon to British Gas? They would then have to get any statements out of their archives to comply !
    It will cost you £10.00 and they have 40 calendar days in which to comply.

Basic Account Holder IhateBG Novitiate

Cagger since : May 2017

Hmm, thanks for the replies CitizenB, I guess I will have to let my entirely rational hatred of British Gas go and draw a line under the ordeal they inflicted on me.

Unfortunately I don't have my bank and gas statements going back the full 10 years, after all even the tax man doesn't expect you to keep them that long!

I was more interested in charging them interest but as no one agrees with me I'll give it up, would hate to lose to them in court.

Gold Account Holder Old Cogger Highly informative Old Cogger Highly informative Old Cogger Highly informative Old Cogger Highly informative Old Cogger Highly informative Old Cogger Highly informative Old Cogger Highly informative Old Cogger's Avatar

Cagger since : Nov 2008

take it a run

Site Team The Consumer Action Group Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch's Avatar

Cagger since : Sep 2007

Thread moved to the appropriate forum

Regards

Andy

Royalties Account Holder ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative

Cagger since : Nov 2012

you didnt know you had a reason to chase them so you cant ask for interest on the money. If you asked them 10 years ago and they told you a story that wasnt true then you would be entitled to interest as well.
    You could possibly claim interest on any monies paid after you tried to switch if they refused to let you go but it will be a very small amount.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details