overpayment of benefit repayment

jacchris
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2528 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI

Any advice appreciated.

I received housing benefit overpayment and agreed to repay £40.00 per month.

I have recently received a letter stating that they will no longer accept £ 40.00 per month and I have to pay £90.00 per month.

I can't afford this, despite advising them of this they seem to be unwilling to accept reduced repayments.

I have stated clearly that as working single mum this amount is no where near affordable.

How can I proceed with this?

Thanks

Hi

Do you know how this overpayment came to be? Did you make an error and not inform the council of a change in circumstances?

With the council, they could reduce any existing benefit to recoup the overpayment so you need to get them not to whilst you get an income and expenditure form filled out to show why you cannot afford what they want.

If you have other debts that you are paying off, can you ask them to accept token payments whilst you clear the overpayment. A roof over your head is more important than unsecured debt (credit cards/loans)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

How are you currently making this payment jacchris ....direct or through Attachment of Earnings ?

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

In that letter is there an explanation as to why its being increased and what options if you disagree ?

PS I have moved your thread to a more appropriate forum for our experts to comment .......Benefits and HMRC

Useful information...

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/housing_benefit/housing_benefit_overpayments

How councils recover overpayments

The council can make deductions of up to £11.10 per week from your ongoing housing benefit payments. This may mean that you have to pay more towards your rent until the overpayment is repaid to avoid rent arrears.

Or the council might send you a bill. You can ask to repay the overpayment in affordable instalments. The council can take court action to recover the money if you don't make a repayment arrangement.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread