furniture damaged by delivery

sambullus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2528 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope this is the right forum, feel free to move if not.

I bought a wood and glass display cabinet and paid £25 delivery charge. The driver phoned to say they would arrive between 1 and 4 on Saturday. I queried them to ask if they were still delivering at 20 to 5 on the delivery date and they said they were a few minutes away.

They arrived at 5.20 and one delivery man carried the glass shelves in and the 2 of them the cabinet. I have ordered items from the firm before and have always had to sign on delivery. I turned to get a pen and the drivers were literally running away. I then noticed ( and this was seconds after they had left) that the entire top wooden corner of the cabinet had been torn off . I had not been offered any paperwork to sign.

I went into the shop and asked to speak to the manager. She was off that day and the assistant manager dealt with it. I had taken some photos of the damage which was extensive. The shop would not have allowed an item to leave in that condition and it was not fit for purpose or of merchantable quality. The stockroom supervisor told me that he had helped load the cabinet on the van.

I showd him the photos and he confirmed the item was not damaged when it left the shop. The assistant manager told me that the item would be picked up the following Saturday.I would receive a refund but not before the item was back in the shop. The shop did not have another cabinet to replace the damaged one, and refused to repair it. They told me that once the item was returned they would "just bin it".

I live in an apartment building and the lift broke down on the day that they were supposed to come and pick it up. I told the Assistant Manager and he said they'd just collect it when the lift was working. In the meantime I asked advice and was told that the cabinet was easily repairable..my preferred choice. The lift was repaired today so I went into the store and asked to see the manager. I explained what had happened. Her attitude was unpleasant from the start but the assistant manager confirmed the situation.

I offered the manager the drivers phone number, the images of the damage and my receipt for payment but she was dismissive. She just repeatedly stated that " the first thing to do is to get the item in and then I'll investigate". I am a litle reluctant to part with the item with no assurance of a refund or what,if any, action would be taken when the furniture was returned, especially given that when I asked what the company's complaints procedure was she refused to tell me.

I assume that the delivery drivers have insurance. Could I get the item repaired and send them the bill? Thanks for any advice

They have the right to get the items back and are not obliged to get them repaired by your repairer. If you don't want to let them go then they will not give you a refund, your choice

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle