• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HSBC Mortgage and Income protection, Life Insurance etc.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2535 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I have spent many hours going back through statements and other related paperwork. I have kept every scrap of paperwork so have proof of everything I refer to below. I would appreciate your help in what to do next. I have tried to summarise events as best I can. The things that stand out to me are the Mortgage Protection & Income Protection did I really need both and that Norwich Union would pay the bank commission for arranging the policy.

There just seems too many Critical Illness/Life policies at this time the total we owed around this period was about £45,000. Looking at it now it just seems over the top. I am no expert and will stand corrected obviously.

I would really appreciate it if someone would take the time to have a look through and advise what I should do next if anything. If there are any questions then I will do my best to answer them as soon as I can.Thanks in advance.

Regards Will

INCOME PROTECTION, ENDOWMENT POLICIES, CRITICAL ILLNESS, LIFE POLICIES

1984- 07.10.08 CIS Cooperative Insurance Policy Number xxx6695 This was the Insurance policy against Endowment Mortgage account Number 40-xx-xx xxxx2998 (xxxx8196) Interest Only Mortgage Guaranteed Death Benefit/Target Amount on maturity £19,000 CIS Premium: £39.06

15.08.94 Midland Repayment Protector IPT will increase your MRP premium from 1.10.94. your monthly premium £10.47.

20.09.95 Midland Life Mortgage Endowment with Critical Illness Benefit Plan xx4339R

To be issued by Midland Life Limited on the lives of Myself and Wife.

1995 - 2006 Cover £10,000 Term 11 years Monthly Premium £60.30

03.10.95 Midland Level Term assurance policy with Critical Illness for Me sum assured of £52,054. On a Single Life basis for a term of 18 years.

Policy xx9914L-01 1995 - 2013 £34.06 per month.

03.10.95 Midland Income Protection for Me after 26 weeks Premium £11.52 per month.

03.10.95 Norwich Union Healthcare will pay Midland Bank commission for arranging policy.

01.12.95 Norwich Union Healthcare Safeguard Income Protection Policy Number Insured me xx8593Scheme 26 wk DP/IND Link Monthly Benefit £518 Premium £11.52

10.04.96 Midland Mortgage Repayment Protector (MMRP) Insured Person Me

Policy Number. MBRP xx9966 Monthly premiums £8.70.

04.09.1997 Midland Life Policy (Joint Policy)Mortgage Protection Plan with Critical Illness and Permanent and Total Disability Benefit

Policy Number xx9542B Insured Persons Myself and wife

Amount of Life Cover £10,500 decreasing over the term of the policy.

Commencement Date 02.09.1997 Expiry Date 02.09.2007 Premium £13.68

20.10.2000 Norwich Union Healthcare Safeguard Income Protection Ref xx8593

(HSBC-was Midland 31.10.95) Commencement Date 01.12.95

Monthly Benefit £575 Premium £ 21.53

April 2005 HSBC Letter Mortgage Repayment Protector Policy MBRPxxx849

To say that the policy is administered on behalf of the Insurers by FirstAssist Insurance Services Limited, future DD will be collected by FAIS Limited instead of Royal & SunAlliance, w/c 22.05.05

12.04.06 HSBC Mortgage Payment Repayment Protector Policy Number MBRPxxx849

Monthly Benefit Increased from £550 to £1,300 Monthly Premium £77.22 (27.04.06)

20.10.09 Aviva Income Protection(see 03.10.95) Midland Bank/Norwich Union Agent Name HSBC Bank Plc

Policy Number xx8593 Premium Monthly £32.67

Payment Due Date 01.12.09 Monthly Benefit £733

the only thing you must have inplace for a mortgage is buildings insurance

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I wanted to complain about these policies,

I just wanted to know if there was justification in doing so with regard mis-selling.

None of the policies paid out

all the premiums were paid apart from the 18 year one dated 03.10.95 which I stopped paying in 2009.

I would just like to know what I can do next if anything,

it just looks like that every time I went to the bank they would sell me something whether I needed it or not.

Thanks for taking the time to look through the thread.

I cant see why you cant reclaim 90% of what you were mis-sold above

you'd have to investigate what you had to have in terms of the endowment though.

you say you have all the paperwork

so check the demands and needs sheet.

does it state anywhere that XYZ insurance was compulsory for your mortgage?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

bit of a chance here is it not, take out insurances just in case of illness /out of work? luckly not to have to use them- if you had to use them and they did what they were intended for = o.k. but to try and retrieve monies paid for the insurance cover which no claim ever needed to be made = well keep thoughts to one self.

If you have or had been mis-sold or told a loan and you must have cover is a different area, but so many policies you took for possible events (peace of mind was it not) 1st assist is a very expensive option we found out years ago triple normal cost cover from other genuine suppiers to mention one.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Nothing to do with,

oh I haven't used the policies so I will try to claim the money back

I actually quite resent your implication in that is what I am trying to do,

keeping ones thoughts to yourself is probably a good idea.

As far as I am aware this is a PPI forum and was looking for advice,

not here is another chancer,

never have been,

never will.

I am from an age group that what banks said was treated with respect and what they advised was for your benefit.

when I went to the bank and they told me I need this,

I need that,

I believed they were acting in my best interest.

Time has proven this not to be the case.

The problem I have is when they told me I needed something then I took that on-board,

I personally didn't go to them and say can you sort this out for me as this is what I want.

Now, if you think it is ok to sell me Mortgage Protection so my mortgage is paid if I am ill or out of work then sell me Income protection (Norwich Union paying commission to HSBC)

if I am ill or out of work is fine then that's your opinion.

If you think selling me policies which I didn't need as I already had sufficient cover in place anyway is fine, that again is your opinion.

I would like to think I have presented my question in such a way that would have avoided your interpretation of the question I was asking.

The point I will make is that I did not ask for any of the above this was advice that the bank gave to me and yes if there had been a need to use the policies in any way that would have been a wonderful safety net.

I think somewhere along the way the banks forgot they were supposed to be acting in the best interest of the customer and not driven by greed.

If what I have listed above is not mis-selling then I will stop any further action.

Hello again.

As I understand it, all but your first policy come under the Financial Services Act 1986, which came into force in April 1988. That means you 'should' have been given sufficient information about them. By the way, they aren't all PPI if they're from that long ago.

I'm not clear from your first post why you think they were missold. Did they not suit your circumstances, did you have other cover in place already either from policies you had already bought from the bank or other advisers or via your employer?

If you're going to go after them, I think you need reasons why the policies weren't right for you at the time. Also, I don't quite understand why your endowments didn't pay out. Even if you stopped paying premiums, they should have had a paid up or surrender value.

Please tell us more. :)

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum