Vodafone ferry roaming

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2535 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I just took a domestic ferry in Italy (Sicily to Genoa) only to find I have been charged 30 quid for 5MB of data by Vodafone. It's listed as Maritime/Ferry usage which apparently is the same as Europe Zone 2 (i.e. non EU - same price as Turkey, Albania etc): "Daily charge of £6 a MB for the first 5MB, then £30 for each 5MB after that"

Since I have Eurotraveller and, as far as I was concerned, I never left Italy (let alone Europe Zone 1) I never thought to disable data roaming. I didn't even know my phone had a signal on the ferry. I was hooked up to the on board Wi-Fi at the time. It must have switched when the Wi-Fi dropped.

I could understand if I was going on a world cruise but the fact that this was a domestic ferry I feel a bit hoodwinked by the whole thing. Apart from which the charges seem to be wrong because according to the itemisation I have been charged £6 for 0.08MB then £24 for 4.89MB, which doesn't match the above description at all.

Do I have a case for getting it refunded? Quite frankly it seems a complete con.

I've always wondered how they get away with charging so much for data. Anyone int he industry can tell you it does NOT cost that much for a MB of data. Like text messaging, it costs MAYBE 1-2 p a text, but they can charge up to 30p

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

There are apps you can get which force you to connect to the nearest mast. Not the one the operator wants to connect you to.

For instance, i live in north wales, and regularly get shown my actual connection is in mid wales or liverpool. Despite the mast being a few miles from me.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi,

The last time I was on a ferry, I received text messages telling me that I had switched to a different system. I did have roaming switched off at the time.

I would be belligerent with VF as you were not informed of the charges. May work???

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE