Drop Kerb Parking in Whitton (Twickenham) - Richmond Council

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2506 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning All,

I'm not sure if anyone can help but I thought I'd give it a shot.

My girlfriend lives in a place called Whitton which is covered by Richmond Council and she was hoping to get a dropped kerb put outside of her property.

The road has a number of outlined (with white paint) parking spaces along the road, however a number of people have paved over their front gardens and managed to get a dropped kerb for their driveway and there is not a parking space outside of their property - presumably it's been removed.

When she bought her now home, the previous owners had paved over the garden and created a large driveway, both in length and width (approx 5.8m wide) however there is no dropped kerb, so they did not seem to get permission for one before doing the new driveway.

She has applied for a dropped kerb but it was rejected because her driveway does not reach the requirement of being 7.2m wide and therefore the sightlines are not wide enough.

Her neighbours (with a driveway and an approved dropped kerb) have the same width driveway as hers and managed to get a dropped kerb however we have no idea when these were approved by the council, at least over 2 years ago.

The council seemed to outline that they were no longer doing dropped kerbs in her particular area of which we queried why she was allowed to apply in the first place when they saw the address!

Does anyone know of any loophole, precedence etc that we could put forward as a reason for us to be allowed to have a dropped kerb?

The initial response in terms of an appeal against the council would be that as her driveway is not wide enough it does not fit the requirements outlined by the council - however as the neighbours have the exact same width driveway, how can it be one rule of one and not for another?

Any help would be appreciated with this.

Thanks

if next door's driveway abuts hers then the 2 can be considered to be contiguous and therefore the width will be more than the required 7.2m

as for them not wanting to put in dropped kerbs in that area that policy should be on some local plan and if it isnt it doesnt count for anything. It then boils down to a battle of wills Demand to see the local plan where all of this is outlined and get someone to pick through it. Planning consultants should know but there are good ones and bad ones so go by personal recommendation

The houses are terraced so all the driveways are next to each other, however there is an approx 3 foot high fence between the properties - would this likely scupper the idea of being contiguous?

Good point regarding the policy - I can ask for that.

Thanks for the response.