How likely is it that my shoplifting will be picked up on?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Come on guys, we may disagree on the methods recommended here but let's not get into a flame war as that does nothing to help the OP.

The police may get involved. Equally, they may not. There is also SCONE to consider. Any break in that chain of events can render evidence flawed. Again, I'm not advocating theft but just explaining what may happen. Who knows? I could have gone to a make up counter, got some goods, gave my correct name and address and then decided I didn't want them and replaced them without the counter staff noticing OR put them on a shelf somewhere round the store. These are the reason CCTV and security staff need to keep 100% vigilance on a suspect.

As I have already said, I believe a wait and see is the best option in my view. I try to look at the whole situation and not just on the theft. Yes, the OP could go back to the store and 'fess up' and explaining why the theft occurred, pay for the items and hope nothing more will come from it. My belief is that the store will get the security staff involved and as we know from previous cases listed here, security staff have no idea about mental health and treat the OP as a criminal, get the police involved and quite possibly make the mental health situation worse.

This situation is unique on CAG so we are trying things out for the best ending for the OP

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Agree with Silverfox.

Another point i think should be made clear, is that we must not give the impression on any CAG thread that we consider criminal actions involving retailers as not important. Just because retailers often deal with shoplifting on a civil retail loss prevention basis, does not mean that in individual cases that retailers won't involve the Police and people end up with criminal convictions. If the impression is given that in most cases retailers can't do much about shoplifting and RLP is useless etc, then we will see retailers go back to their previous practice of looking to involve the Police in every shopliftiing incident. That means Police being involved in dealing with shoplifting, rather than incidents involving threats to peoples life's.

Not saying anyone has given wrong impression on this thread, but i often think that that on some threads, we criticise the RLP process, without thinking of what happens when RLP is seen as a failure by retailers in making up for some of the losses suffered. RLP has not been a main issue in this thread,but because it is often used, it does seem to frame how we think about shoplifting incidents.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

What happens will all depend to a certain extent on what the manager of that store wants to do.

There are things they have control of and things they dont

so HO may decide not to do much if the overall leakage from this store is low compared to others.

One thing that will certainly happen is if the OP goes back and re-enters her postcode into the make up franchise's system it will raise a flag.

this wont be the same as assuming the person is the one who did a runner previously but they may simply decline to serve anyone from that postcode without giving a reason

Petrol stations do the same with car reg numbers,

do a runner and you wont get a fill up elsewhere in the same chain,

even if it wasnt you but a previous owner.

By asking this question you showed that you hadn't read the thread.

Op needs advice, telling her that nothing will happen after she took hundred of pounds worth of goods and left a full record of it, is quite poor advice imo

I did not give her any advice at all about what she should do.Goodbye