I was caught for shoplifting at a Sainbury's. then paid for items

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2542 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

First message on this forum,

I thank you all for the answers you provide to other people in various topics,

it already helped me a lot.

Long story short,

I was caught for shoplifting at a Sainbury's.

I complied,

store security took my name & address and issued me a banning letter.

So far so good.

They also called the police,

they provided them with my name, DoB, address and a physical description.

We waited for them for about 20 min and the police station eventually called back to say that they had more important stuff to deal with at the moment so that no police officer would show up and that they would deal with the matter later on.

The store security thus let me leave, after I had paid for the items I attempted to steal.

Now here is my question:

since no police officer show up,

what are the possible outcomes of this ?

Can I still get a Fixed Penalty Notice afterwards?

Is there any chance I will be facing charge?

Or I don't have anything to worry about?

Hi and welcome to CAG

Chances are that the police will never show up as they have far more important things to do. This doesn't mean they won't have put your details on their computer if the store security told them all the details. It is difficult to say what the police may do. I believe they have to arrest you within 6 months after a complaint has been laid. (I could be wrong on that)

Just out of interest, how long ago did this event happen? Did the store security mention anything about a 'fine'

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks a lot for your answer!

I forgot to mention that the stolen goods were worth ~£20.

Chances are that the police will never show up as they have far more important things to do. This doesn't mean they won't have put your details on their computer if the store security told them all the details. It is difficult to say what the police may do. I believe they have to arrest you within 6 months after a complaint has been laid. (I could be wrong on that)

Ok, so I guess I just have to wait and see if they ever try to reach me.

Hi and welcome to CAG

Just out of interest, how long ago did this event happen? Did the store security mention anything about a 'fine'

It happened few days ago, and the store security never mentioned a fine, they just said the "police will do whatever they have to do now".

I've read a bit on the forum about RLP and DWF, so I'll probably just ignore their letters if I receive any.

The store security thus let me leave, after I had paid for the items I attempted to steal.

So they gave you a receipt for this yes?

What you're saying is that you paid for items you had in your possession, and you're worried that the police will turn up and charge you for theft??

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

So they gave you a receipt for this yes?

What you're saying is that you paid for items you had in your possession, and you're worried that the police will turn up and charge you for theft??

Yes, I had a receipt (but I threw it away).

Said like this it sounds a bit stupid to worry, for sure :razz:.

It's more like I tried to steal stuff, they stopped me, called the police (which didn't come) and I eventually paid the items and left.

I guess paying for the items doesn't change anything to the theft attempt, it's still a crime, isn't it?

you paid

no police involvement now

and I doubt DWF will try to fleece you either.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

With shoplifting events, passing the last point of paying for the goods can show intent so you were probably apprehended after passing the tills or as you attempted to leave the store. When the police were called, all they had was an allegation of an offence. The police would want to see the evidence before going any further. As they didn't attend, my gut instinct is that you won't be contacted by them although they may keep the allegation on file.

With DWF, they don't care about the proof, you are guilty in their eyes and as such must pay a security cost. Not true If you do get anything from them, read the letter, go have a chill and read it again with a clearer mind. They don't say they will take further action or they may say 'further action' but that just means more letters.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

you paid

no police involvement now

and I doubt DWF will try to fleece you either.

dx

Thanks for your answer, I'm a bit relieved.

With shoplifting events, passing the last point of paying for the goods can show intent so you were probably apprehended after passing the tills or as you attempted to leave the store. When the police were called, all they had was an allegation of an offence. The police would want to see the evidence before going any further. As they didn't attend, my gut instinct is that you won't be contacted by them although they may keep the allegation on file.

With DWF, they don't care about the proof, you are guilty in their eyes and as such must pay a security cost. Not true If you do get anything from them, read the letter, go have a chill and read it again with a clearer mind. They don't say they will take further action or they may say 'further action' but that just means more letters.

Thank you for your answer as well! Indeed, I forgot to mention this (important) detail: I got apprehended once I had stepped out of the store.

So in the event that the police would want to go further, they'd have to check the CCTV footage and then contact me in order to identify me somehow. You are right, I assume that, given the small amount of money involved and the fact that this is my first time, they probably won't go any further... We'll see... I'll update this topic if I get contacted.