Help please housing benefit

crock17
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2504 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i cant afford professional help or i defiantly would. believe me its not about the money its about injustice and people just accepting what they say. there is no difference between LA and cabot. yet people fight cabot and not LA and DFWP

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK slow down, so they overpaid you by a couple of hundred pounds yes?

And now they're saying you owe them thousands yes?

Can you prove that you have repaid the overpayment?

Can you prove that the overpayment was only a couple of hundred, rather than thousands of pounds?

How far have you got in terms of the LA's complaints procedure?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

sorry. im waiting for the wftc forms from my ex partner so will have some definite figures soon.

the wftc was overpaid by a couple of hundred pounds and they demanded 2k. i have a letter from them saying i have paid it back.

the la are saying because i was not entitled to wftc that i was also not entitled to hb yet still kept the wftc amount on the claim.

this is from 2014 2015 so not easy to remember. didn't here anything from them for well over a year.

have sent them an email saying i will not exept that this is the end of the matter and wish to take it to a higher leval.

OK, so you've repaid the WFTC and have proof good.

So now they're saying that you weren't entitled to HB and are claiming that back?

Are you employed?

You can go to your MP's surgery and have them look into it for you.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

yes repaid the wftc

yes the la are trying to claim the housing benefit back

i am employed ironically by the la somerset county council

the local mp has a sugary on friday mornings will try and go next week

Ok, a couple of questions.

1, what period is the overpayment for?

2, have you requested a statement if reasons?

3, you accept that you have been overpaid a small amount. What is that overpayment for?

4, you mentoin an ex? Was it a joint TC claim?

5, why were your tax credits over paid?

6, are you familiar with the phrase "late beneficial change"?

When I say professional help I mean the likes of CAB etc?

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

i cant afford professional help or i defiantly would. believe me its not about the money its about injustice and people just accepting what they say. there is no difference between LA and cabot. yet people fight cabot and not LA and DFWP

I think it is about the money...

1. 2014 2015

2 should get the wftc paperwork today

3. yes i accept i have been overpaid wftc

4. it was a joint claim but they are not pursuing her . maybe because she is still on benefits

5. they say i earned to much

6. not a clue what that is

So did you tell the council when your circumstances changed and you were no longer entitled to WTC- there would have been a change which caused you to be no longer entitled to WTC.

As I and others have said the law (in this case the Housing Benefit Regulations) says that they can do this. They are saying that at the time you were paid those tax credits therefore at the time this is how much we should have paid you. As I explained to you, if you had been underpaid tax credits it would have worked the other way and you would have gained. The circular is issued by the DWP (councils admininster HB on behalf of LA's) and is a clarification of how that law should be applied.

To have any chance of succeeding your appeal needs to be more than "it's not fair", it needs to be a reasoned argument. To that end you need to approach welfare rights for help. They may well tell you the law has been correctly applied (which from the information you have supplied sounds as if it has) or they may take an appeal on your behalf.

Remember - some folks benefit hugely from this reg (underpaid tax credits as a lump sum would be treated as capital so unless they had other savings make no change).

My advice stands - take all the documents to welfare rights and ask someone with knowledge of the system to look at them and assist you with an appeal if they think it is appropriate.