I got caught taking some items from primark

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2499 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I got caught taking some items from primark (I know, sad)!

They took me in to a room and took down my details from my Spanish ID and I gave them my real address to send the fine they told me the RLP will send in a couple of weeks or so.

I'm over 18 so they didn't ask for my parents details.

They made a copy of my Spanish ID and didn't call the police.

The total amount was £35.

I swear I learned the lesson but I'm really worried if I'm going to have any criminal record in the UK or it's going to be a problem if at some point I want to apply for a mortgage?

Also the security guy told me the fine will be £130 but I read on this website that it's £180.

Also read that I don't have to pay, just ignore it.

The security guy told me if I don't pay it this would be taken to the court and I would have a real problem.

Is that real?

They have my real address so it's easy the RLP can ask for it and send the police to my address or something? I'm really worried and i'm overthinking the worst!

I would really appreciate if you can give me some advise.

Many thanks in advance.

You do not need to do anything and can safely ignore any letters. Just don't do this again, as the next time the Police may be called and you could face prosecution.

RLP is just a speculative invoicing process and you would not be taken to court, if you did not pay. It is not a fine and it is nothing to do with any criminal offence which would be on record.

This won't affect you at all. But you must never do this again, as the next time it might lead to more serious consequences.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thread moved to appropriate forum.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi

I got caught taking some items from primark (I know, sad)!

They took me in to a room and took down my details from my Spanish ID and I gave them my real address to send the fine they told me the RLP will send in a couple of weeks or so. I'm over 18 so they didn't ask for my parents details.

They made a copy of my Spanish ID and didn't call the police.

The total amount was £35.

I swear I learned the lesson but I'm really worried if I'm going to have any criminal record in the UK or it's going to be a problem if at some point I want to apply for a mortgage?

No you won't. If police were not called at the time then there will be no record of the incident on the police computer system. You do not have, nor will you ever have a criminal record as a result of this.

It will not be recorded on any credit file, so will not at any time affect a mortgage application nor any other form of credit

Also the security guy told me the fine will be £130 but I read on this website that it's £180.

They could tell you it is £1000 but you still wouldn't have to pay it

Also read that I don't have to pay, just ignore it. The security guy told me if I don't pay it this would be taken to the court and I would have a real problem. Is that real?

You mustn't pay it. If Primark wanted to take action they could have called the police and asked for costs to be awarded as part of any successful prosecution. Primark COULD take civil court action, but they would not be successful as the goods were (presumably) recovered in a saleable condition, and the security guard would be paid the same even if you hadn't entered the store, so Primark have not lost any money that they could recover through court action. Also it would cost them a lot more than they would ever feel it worth spending

RLP WILL write and tell you that their client will take you to court if you don't pay. This is simply trying to frighten you, as for the reasons I have given, whilst they COULD take you to court, they simply won't. Primark will forget all about you but RLP want your money - that is how they run their business. Ignore the letters they send. Ignore the letters any debt collector may send and eventually they will stop

They have my real address so it's easy the RLP can ask for it and send the police to my address or something? I'm really worried and i'm overthinking the worst!

They won't involve the police. Period. There is no chain of evidence and the police simply wouldn't be interested. If they weren't called at the time then they will not involve them later on

I would really appreciate if you can give me some advise.

Many thanks in advance.

You will get letters. You must ignore them. They may be threatening but you must not be frightened. Come back here for advice as you need to. The rather warped characters at RLP read these forums and will probably write to tell you that you are getting bad advice from armchair lawyers who know nothing about the law, and how we are all unemployed layabouts with nothing better to do. Simply look through all of the other threads here going back several years and ask yourself how many people have come back to say that they were taken to court, or that anything happened other than the letters stopping after a while. RLP and one of their clients DID take a case to court a long while ago and lost. - badly so they have not been keen to repeat that so rely merely on threats and misinformation to worry people into paying up. Don't be one of them!

Oh and as stated in the earlier post, stop shoplifting NOW. Our advice does not mean that we approve of it and you could indeed end up in real trouble next time, so learn from this. Our opinion is that whatever crime you committed - and it was a crime - the correct way to deal with it is via the police, and not by involving a private company whose aim is to make a profit for themselves, not to put right the original wrong

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

simple answer

you TOTALLY IGNORE EVERYTHING..

lots of like threads in the forum you are in.

just type in RLP primark

in our search CAG box of the top red toolbar

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks!

I won't do it again! NEVER EVER!!

I have one last questions...I guess if I don't pay the fine the RLP will send more letters...After how long they will stop? And also and more important for me...can they contact primark to give them my address and put action?

THANKS!!!

There is no fine. Stop calling it that.

They will send letters over the next 6 months. usually around 4-5 , each getting more depserate than the last. Ignore ALL of them.

And action? Please read the advice given. NOTHING will ever happen. PRIMARK have already forgotten you exist. RLP cannot do ANYTHING apart from send silly begging letters.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

post 4 explains everything

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi and welcome to CAG

Sidewinder has expertly put this to you. There is nothing to worry about. Yes, the letters you will receive will scare you but I would put them to one side, have a calming drink of choice then read them again.

Nowhere will RLP say WILL do anything. What they say is MAY which really means nothing. Only Primark can take action but the will not as it is not cost effective for them to do so.

RLP have your address already so RLP won't pass it on.

Since 2012 no court action has been taken by any retailer since one with the help of RLP lost a case against two teenage girls. Unless the UK law changes on civil recovery, I suspect no more cases will ever happen.

As mentioned, no police involvement, no record. RLP claim they have a dishonesty database where they place alleged shoplifters details but as no criminal case has occurred, this database is highly flawed and if they disclosed any information to a third party, they could open themselves up to claims of breaching the Data Protection Act. The only exception to this is the police and other lawful bodies with a court order. So, nothing can happen to this database without your explicit consent.

There will be lots of letters from RLP more desperate than the last. Once they have exhausted their letter process, they might pass this claim on to a debt collector who have even less power than I do so it is also safe to ignore them. Yes, it can be stressful but by knowing they cannot do anything to you, this should ease over time.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I know silly, but I got caught shoplifting from Primark one month ago..the total value was GBP30. I know it's sooo silly and I learnt the lesson!

I post here my story and everyone posted to not worry about.

That I would receive the fine (don't remember the name of the organisation who sent it, but the police was not involved)

and all the replies said to don't pay the fine, they will stop sending letters at some point.

othis morning at 6.30am someone rang the bell,

my boyfriend replied and he couldn't understand properly.

Both of us got up from bed quite worried.

He open the door and I was next to him,

then I guys asked me in Spanish (I'm Spanish) if I were caught shoplifting at primark ,

and I said in the beginning "no" as my boyfriend was there and didn't him to know it.

Then realised he doesn't speak Spanish and said "yes" as at this point I think is better say the truth.

The guys was a Spanish Sales assistant from PRimark.

He told me that they sent 2 letters to sign and didn't have any reply.

I couldn't believe they sent this guy.

I didn't receive any letter (it's true) and I told him that.

HE told me he will come back tomorrow to give to me...

I know what I did is horrible and I total mistake,

I regret so much but how they send a guy at 6.30am to my house to tell me in front of someone else (my boyfriend in this case) something that should be confidential???

Also, someone of you told me the day I was caught PRimark wouldn't be involve anymore.

..I understand the company that have to send the fine contacted primark???

(I gave PRimark my real address that day for that reason they have it)

This guy told me to pay the fine otherwise the police would be involved!

I don't want this guy to come back to chase anymore!!

Please help!!!! I'm scared!!!

Thanks!!!

old and new threads merged

IT IS NOT A FINE

YOU'VE NOT BEEN TO COURT

YOU'VE NOT BEEN CAUTIONED BY THE POLICE

NO-ONE can FINE YOU.

please STOP using that word.

The guys was a Spanish Sales assistant from Primark

who told you the above?

and what ID did they show you?

now this door knocker

and they

you need to see ID next time they call

something is not right here

i'd be going down the store

ask to see the manager

and ask if he sent someone around this morning...

they have no legal powers to do that

dx

and they

Sorry, I am suspicious of this. No employee of Primark would visit your home address. If he does come back as stated, take a picture and if possible record his drivel. This is important if you can do so. What I suspect is that someone from Primark is trying to get a fast buck out of you. As your boyfriend had no idea of this incident at the beginning, the assistant has breached the data Protection Act by disclosing personal information to a third party without your permission.

Never sign anything if he does turn up. Convert it to confetti in front of him. No police will turn up now. He is trying to scare you.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Its likely that person who came is an employee of primark, who fancied making himself an extra few quid. Illegally.

Follow the advice already offered.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D