Copart - won vehicle - shocked to find the mileage had been reversed a few years ago.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2538 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, recently registered with copart and have purchased a vehicle.

I did not do any hpi or mileage check until I won the vehicle, I know silly me.

After I had won the auction I was curious and just did a mot history check online at and was shocked to find the mileage had been reversed a few years ago.

I haven't paid yet and contacted the manager to complain about the mileage being tampered with.

I got this message back.

Hello, thank you for your email. I have looked at lot **** and I see the following;

We listed this with an image showing there was an inconsistency with the mileage as per the attached image.

It is your responsibility to complete all pre-auction checks before deciding to bid or how much to bid.

The VRN of this vehicle is on the website for all to see and therefore you were able to complete a HPI or MOT check prior to the auction.

Furthermore in the additional information we listed that there was a discrepancy again please see attached image.

The sale of this vehicle will stand as we have advertised it correctly.

You have the option to enter this vehicle back into the auction once paid for if you no longer wish to keep the vehicle but we cannot guarantee how much it will generate.

The other option is not to pay for it and the vehicle will re-list for this you will incur a 10% fee of the hammer price.

Regards

Apart from the pictures of the car it did state there was discrepancy in the mileage showing at gov.uk MOT.

I thought it was illegal to even sell vehicles that's mileage had been tampered with.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Nice arbitrary fee they charge.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

they speak utter trip

you have 14 days under CRA and contract law to cancel as this was all done online.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

An issue I see is that you registered via there website and their Terms & Conditions throughout state your are a 'Trade Member': https://www.copart.co.uk/Content/uk/en/Member-Terms-and-Conditions#uk

Did you take any screenshots of the Action vehicle website link you viewed to bid on vehicle?

Please be patient I am sure other caggers will be along to assist you

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I don't think cra right to reject applies to cars sold at auction because they're all sold as seen and roadworthiness is not guaranteed.

You'll find this in their t&c.

Buying cars at auction is always a risk and this is reflected in the price you pay.

About the mileage,

it is not illegal to sell a vehicle with doctored mileage, as long as the seller tells you about it.

In this case they state that the advert included two notes about the mileage discrepancy,

so they have done nothing wrong.

Many cars have mileage discrepancy,

for example when dashboard display is replaced.

That doesn't make the sale illegal.

How many miles have been clocked.

If it's only 20/30k and you paid scrap money, why not keep it and see how it runs.

I had an old Peugeot 405 with 190k miles on it and I was planning to keep it for 6 months.

It served me well for 6 years before failing the mot.

You never know...

they speak utter trip

you have 14 days under CRA and contract law to cancel as this was all done online.

dx

Sorry DX, that's wrong.

Auctions are buyer beware and that is well known and founded in case law over and over again.

The only exception to this is where goods have been deliberately or even accidentally missadvertised.

They you could make a claim.

As said, they did advertise the discrepancies and the reg was there for all to check.

Auction is where the caveat emptor really applies.

Auction or not it was advertised that there was a discrepancy in the mileage and if the only issue is the mileage I don't understand why OP is so shocked about it and went ahead knowing there is a discrepancy in the mileage.

How many miles have been clocked.

If it's only 20/30k and you paid scrap money, why not keep it and see how it runs.

I had an old Peugeot 405 with 190k miles on it and I was planning to keep it for 6 months.

It served me well for 6 years before failing the mot.

You never know...

It shows this when I check mot history.

Test date
22 March 2016Expiry date
29 March 2017Test Result
PassOdometer reading
81,869 miles

Test date
30 March 2015Expiry date
29 March 2016Test Result
PassOdometer reading
72,097 miles

Test date
31 December 2013Expiry date
17 January 2015Test Result
PassOdometer reading
214,411 miles

Test date
3 January 2013Expiry date
17 January 2014Test Result
PassOdometer reading
119,488 miles

Test date
18 January 2012Expiry date
17 January 2013Test Result
PassOdometer reading
35,325 miles

Test date
14 September 2011Expiry date
13 September 2012Test Result
PassOdometer reading
27,748 miles

Test date
25 March 2011Expiry date
24 March 2012Test Result
PassOdometer reading
20,784 miles

Ex taxi with a replaced odometer springs to mind.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

next time you want to buy a car at auction, go along and look at it with someone who really knows about cars. The RAC will even inspect a vehicle you are interested in for a fee and I'm sure there are other organisatiosn that offer a similar service.