Hastings Direct - want more money for a move to a lesser risk area!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Looking for some advice.

I've just changed my address with Hastings Direct

and, as well as charging me £25 for the pleasure,

they have also added an extra £40 onto my car insurance premium.

I would be fine with this if I had moved to a higher risk area

but I've put my details into comparison websites and the Hastings Direct website using my old and new addresses and I should actually be saving money by moving.

In fact their own website has given me a quote that is over £150 cheaper with my new address!

I've tried phoning and emailing to get some justification for the extra charge

but I keep getting fobbed off with

"that's a deal for new customers"

or

"we're only the broker, we don't make the prices up"

or

"once charges are put on the account we can't tale them off so there's nothing I can do".

I feel that I am being taken advantage of here and I am sick to death of big multi-million pound companies trying to grab every last penny they can.

I am absolutely disgusted with Hastings Direct.

Can anyone offer some advice or tell me how to get them to listen to what I am saying?!

Unfortunately this is very common with most Insurers. With an existing policy, if you make a change, the premium is recalculated and the rates used are normally higher than the discounted rates available to new customers. Then on top, they add an admin charge.

And you don't really have a choice, as if you cancel mid term, there are cancellation charges and you won't have gone the full year in regard to any increased no claims discount entitlement.

If Hastings won't look into this premium change with the underwriters with a view to reducing it or waiving it, then you will just have to swallow it. There is very little you can do.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I understand that cheaper policies are there to attract new customers but I am told that the price of your policy os based on risk. Using comparison sites and Hastings Direct's own website has indicated that I have moved to a lower risk area. That shouldn't be anything to do with being a new or existing customer. My new address is consistently coming up at a lower price than my old address with all other details remaining the same. Fair enough charging me an admin fee to change address but how can they justify increasing my premium to move to a lower risk area? At the very least my policy should remain the same. They shouldn't be able to add money to your policy without any real explanation or justification just because you are an existing customer.

Unfortunately, Insurers don't have to justify the rate they are charging for a mid term policy change, even if the essential risk is lower than previous. They just apply the change to the policy and the premium adjustment is calculated. They don't contact the rating analysts, because the policyholder is unhappy about a £40 policy adjustment cost.

You have queried it and they have presumably checked the information you gave them. It now your choice of whether you continue the policy paying this extra amount or you cancel and arrange a new policy instead. Sometimes with some customer policy changes it works out cheaper to arrange a new policy, even if there is a cancellation charge on the old policy.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

thats an option.

get quotes, and if it works out cheaper overall (taking into account cancellation fee, any premium refund, any admin fee, ins company), then go elsewhere.

otherwise, how about putting a formal complaint in, and if not satisfactorily resolved then escalate to the 'regulator' which may incur them a fee... :)