• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lowell chasing Argos card debt payment

hollysmum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2341 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good afternoon!

My husband has received the above two documents

(I am hopefully attaching redacted scans to this post)

and, as he's currently in hospital,

I need to try and deal with them in his absence.

I presume we should respond in some way,

although I'm not totally convinced that this debt is his

- he says he doesn't recall taking out a credit card with Home Retail Group.

I certainly don't want to phone them or email them!

It's clearly not statute-barred, as it dates from 2012.

My hubby says that he can recall getting "some guff or other" (his words!) from Lowell in the past,

but because he didn't know what they were talking about,

he ignored it.

Therefore, I haven't a hope of identifying what might have been received previously, or not.

Your always excellent advice would be very much appreciated as to my next step.

Scan Lowell 2.pdf

Scan Lowell 1.pdf

I guess that you do not have access to your husbands credit report ? If not, perhaps you can ask him whether you can access it for him, so you can see what debts are registered.

I doubt Lowell would respond to any letter from you about the debt, but you could send a standard letter to Lowell asking for more information, just printing your husbands name and not signed by him. This is the letter. You could amend it to state that you believe a miss trace has happened, as no account has been taken out with Home Retail Group to your knowledge.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387363-You-know-nothing-of-the-Debt-Prove-It-**Updated-21st-April-2014**

Get proof of posting from post office counter.

The danger in not responding at all, is that at some stage, it will get passed to Lowells Solicitors who will eventually issue a court claim.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Attachments hidden

Not properly redacted

So an old Argos credit card then

When was his last use or payment??

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ah! Argos would make sense

- how on earth did I miss that?

Please put it down to stress, dx,

that and the fact that I neglected to totally redact

- my apologies.

I know he had an Argos card some years ago,

I'll check that with him,

and ask if I can check his credit report.

As you can imagine,

he's not really at his best at the moment.

I will take a good look at the link posted by Uncle Bulgaria and at least hold them at bay with a request for further information.

Dx - until I've had a bit more of a delve,

no idea about the last payment made.

If indeed it is his card,

then I suspect it would have been around the time he was made redundant,

about 18 months ago.

He's since been forced to retire because of his continuing poor health,

which is really why I want to try and sort this out in some way,

even if it means setting up some payment plan via Lowlife.

Many thanks for your responses, dx and Bulgaria.

If it was Argos, was it just in his name or were you a second card holder ?

If it was taken out in 2012, then it would be pretty easy for Lowell to get a CCJ, as they don't need the original signed CCA. Given Lowells probably only paid 10% of the debts value, you might be able to negotiate a full and final settlement, rather than enter into a repayment over a long period.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi, unclebulgaria - unless the full and final settlement was about a tenner,

that might not be possible,

I totally get what you're saying!

He's got no savings,

and his redundancy pay out was under £2000,

not a lot of that left now.

He's actually on the standard old age pension now,

doesn't have any other income,

we'd be looking at quite a small amount each month or whatever.

We'll see what happens when I ask them for some further information.

I've never had an Argos card,

and certainly not been named on this one,

if indeed it is his.

Don't go blindly writing not even contemplate paying till you get all the info you can

Then comeback here first

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Don't go blindly writing not even contemplate paying till you get all the info you can

Then comeback here first

No, certainly not, dx

- I've printed off the template letter,

and will be composing something around that to send off asking for further information.

I'm seeing hubby this evening in the hospital,

so hope to take a draft in to him.

We're not going to rush anything,

and yes,

I will certainly post up here again.

Thank you so much for your help so far.

if you are going to send anything

it will be a CCA request

don't go inviting silly letter tennis by sending that letters...waste of time.

and they

yes you made one big blunder

can you spot it on the top line in RED??

[the 2nd time you've done this....]

dx

and they

I shall now attempt to improve my shameful performance in respect of asking your advice and seeming to totally ignore the completely clear instructions regarding the template letters. I have typed up a CCA request under Section 78 of the Act - am I OK to attach a redacted copy of my draft?

the CCA other than filling in your details needs nothing to be checked upon..

and they

• 1 month later...

Just a little update, as I managed to enrage all you wonderful people on here with my clumsy attempts at submitting requests to Lowlife. So far, my husband has received a letter from them telling him that they are attempting to acquire a copy of the "original documentation" from the original debt owner. I understand that there is a deadline of forty days from us receiving their letter? That means they've got until around 30th June.

Thank you all again for your help with this, I really appreciate it. Catherine.

they have 12+2 working days end of!!

And until they comply with enforceable paperwork stop paying if you were

and they

Hey, dx! No, he's paid nothing.

Very nice to know it's a mere 12 days plus 2

- that means they're already well out of date.

40 days is what Lowlife mentioned in their letter to my husband, in reference to the original creditor.

Going by reports, it can be many months before a CCA is provided and often they never get around to it.

• 2 weeks later...

A teeny update on this one.

My husband had a letter from Lowlife telling him that, thus far, they've not received a copy of the agreement from the original creditor.

This arrived on Thursday last week.

Of course, being the diligent souls that they are, they say that they will continue to press for the information, but in the meantime, the account has been put on hold.

Intriguingly, he received a letter from the OC on Saturday saying that there were charges applied to the account they sold to Lowells which should not have been applied, and that they have therefore written to tell Lowells this. Whether this affects the "on hold" status of the account, I don't know.

That's what they said in their letter, Andyorch - "until such time as we receive this information, the account has been put on hold". It was really just me wondering how Lowlife might construe the copy of the letter from the OC - perhaps I'm far too suspicious for my own good.

• 2 months later...

Good morning!

I'm just posting another little update on this.

The last my husband heard from Lowlife was back in June, when they said that, whilst they'd been unable as yet to obtain a copy of any agreement, they would continue to try to do so, and therefore the account was on hold for the time being.

It's around 65 days since that contact.

On Friday, a "Signed For" envelope arrived for him - it was from Lowlife, a whole chunk of copied statements, no sign of any agreement at all.

Am I correct to think that they are well out of time now for responding to his CCA request, and that the account would still be on hold?

Does he need to respond in some way to Lowlife?

As always, my grateful thanks to you all. Catherine.