When Suing A Council Whom Do I Actually Sue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2524 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I want to take a small claims action against my council but I do not know to whom I address the suit/claim.

I mean in a normal law suit it would be the CEO, XXXX Ltd, but in the case of my council should I sue -'The Mayor and Burgesses Council xxxxxx' -& address the claim to him, or do I address the claim to the - CEO of London Borough of XXXXXX

ref, TVs 'The Sherrifs are Coming' and they had high Court write against 'The Mayor & Burgesses Havering Council' .

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Caz16

Hi honeybee,

Do you know the answer to my question?

Here is my question again:

I want to take a small claims action against my council but I do not know to whom I address the suit/claim.

I mean in a normal law suit it would be the CEO, XXXX Ltd, but in the case of my council should I sue -'The Mayor and Burgesses Council xxxxxx' -& address the claim to him, or do I address the claim to the - CEO of London Borough of XXXXXX

Edited by Caz16

The court claim would just be against the council and not any office holder.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Sub Judice only applies where a case is under way with court

- it doesn't apply to discussions prior to a claim being lodged

so a basic discussion of what the case is about should not affect the future case.

Even once the case is under way it doesn't (unless there's a court order) implicitly prevent a case being discussed,

you've just got be careful not to impede or try to influence the case.

Craig

The court claim would just be against the council and not any office holder.

Thats was my original thinking, but, in one of last weeks 'Cant Pay Wont Pay' they had a write against Havering council & the actionable plaintiff was the ''The Mayor & Burgesses, havering council' not havering council

If you address any claim against the wrong person then its a 'no case to answer' result.

i would think the council as a legal entity and owner of assets would the defendant. Not sure why you would list an office holder unless they were directly responsible.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Not sure why you would list an office holder unless they were directly responsible.

When you sue a private company (PLC) you always address the claim to the CEO who is never directly responsible >except in law

Edited by Caz16

I don't think it makes any odds, as the CEO, Mayor etc are not going to be dealing with it. The court papers would be passed to their legal department.

I don't think it makes any odds, as the CEO, Mayor etc are not going to be dealing with it. The court papers would be passed to their legal department.

I see your thinking, anyone suing a council would 1st make a claim naming the head solicitor as the plaintiff.:-(

Hi Caz16

You do bring out a good point when fighting any Local Authority (Council) as to who you would address any Claim to i.e would it be the individual you dealt with, would it be the CEO, Would it be the Mayor etc.

My own Local Authority (Council) has a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) & a Major.

From my own personal experience when I took on my own Local Authority (Council) for over 4 yrs most Local Authorities (Councils) have a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) so address it to the CEO but as has already been stated it really does not matter who you address it to with the Local Authority (Council) as it will be passed to there Legal Department to deal with.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi Caz16

Forgot to ask with your question on suing the Council before considering this have you followed and exhausted the Councils Complaints Procedure?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

but as has already been stated it really does not matter who you address it to with the Local Authority (Council) as it will be passed to there Legal Department to deal with.

Yes and probably around a few dept as well, so, >what has that got to do with my question

Caz

This is a free public forum, where people volunteer time. You have been given an answer that it does not matter whether you address a court claim to a named official, because it will be the Council as a recognised legal entity that would respond to the claim.

Why don't you phone the council and ask them where they want the court claim sent to, who it needs to be addressed to. Then you can do as they suggest and it should get to the person or department that will deal with it.

Be aware that if you are considering issuing the claim through Northampton (MCOL) you cant sue a Government body.

Step 4) Defendant details

A defendant is the person or organisation that the claim will be issued against (i.e. the party who owes

you the money).

Looking further ahead...should you attain judgment...then its imperative that you have sued the correct body...otherwise it will be impossible to execute the judgment.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I see your thinking, no its nothing to do with cars or parking etc

Ahh, by that response it seems you fully understand my original, one and only, question, it's also what I meant when I said if anyone sues the wrong person then its a straightforward case of "no case to answer".....then the judge awards costs and says "bye bye"

I see your thinking, no its nothing to do with cars or parking etc

Ahh, by that response it seems you fully understand my original, one and only, question, it's also what I meant when I said if anyone sues the wrong person then its a straightforward case of "no case to answer".....then the judge awards costs and says "bye bye"

:???:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread