• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cabot/Ruthbridge letter old citi card debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1905 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry guys, i took the lazy approach and ignored everything again.

I have received nothing for a long time and then suddenly a letter from Cabot saying they are

passing my debt to Ruthbridge, a debt collection agency. In the same envelope (is money too

tight to post 2 letters?) A letter from Ruthbridge saying to contact them.

I had a message on my answerphone..

This is a call for (silence) Please contact us using your reference. Thats it. I googled the number

to see Ruthbridge mentioned.

This is a Citi card debt with the last payment in 2006. So long past being statute barred.

Its time to move on now and put a stop to these letters dragging up a period i would rather

forget. Will they stop or will they write forever?

Thank you. PS i know i am a pain the the bottom and so lazy when it comes to dealing

with these people but its time to do something. (if possible)

PS. Do i phone, email or write to them?

Thanks

Send the sb letter so they're in no doubt. Otherwise Cabot may try and continue chasing. Once they receive it they're obliged to take note and not chase it

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

fca conc rules

see the debt collection section of our library for the letter

just remember in E+W a statute barred debt still exists and they can ask for payment

you can equally ask them to go away

they cant threaten court mind

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Nope. Once you notify them of a true SB stautus, they must mark their files accordingly and stop chasing.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

go read our sb letter its all in there

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks.

I really must stop being so lazy.

Although i read something the other day,

someone had been paying a token amount to a debt collector for many many years and the debt has increased and increased.

Someone told them it would be statute barred after 6 years,

but they were quite upset to be told no

because you're still paying them.

So glad i looked into this and i am not in that situation.

Time to move on Thanks again.

No more credit...

Want it now.

Pay for it now.

Thanks all.

Persistent little so and so's. Heard nothing for years and now a call virtually every day.

Wife answered a call today with a local number, do they have offices all over or do they have

batch numbers they use from a call centre?

Caller was arrogant and sounded threatening she said "I NEED and I WANT to speak to (My Name)".

Must remember to try and record them if they call and i answer.

Re: the SB letter. I dont need the without prejudice do I? Not admitting to anything new which could have reset

the SB clock. No payments since Aug 2006. Although i thought it was later.

Do i change the number of years or just leave it at over 6?

7.15.4 applies to me mostly. I have not spoken to them since at least Sept 2006 never mind admitted

anything to them.

Do i still put 7.15.8 in ? even though i have not actually conveyed this to them? I chose the ignore

until they give up.

I wonder how many other accounts they have of mine? Would i need to do this to any other letters

with different account numbers? Or should this give them warning im not interested?

Thanks.

they use spoofing programs [like skype call] that can portray any number they like that they are calling from

typically we find once these tactics are employed

they already well know its totally dead in the water.

it could actually be quite interesting to answer them and record the call

because if they start threatening things like court and bailiffs the FCA will eat them for breakfast as the debt is tatute barred.

I wouldn't be adapting the letter at all IMHO.

just send it.

dx

and they

Is the local number a ruse to get those that know the 013 numbers are mostly debt collectors

and to ignore it where a local call maybe answered?

Or to make me think they have a local office and worry i will get a knock on the door?

I wonder if they will play the you paid us ££ on (date within 6 years) so its not

statute barred?

So just send the letter as it and not modify it at all? Will do that,.

Thanks

many people have phones/trucall that allows passthru of all calls from local exchanges

so they get thru

means nothing really.

send our sb letter

and they

I personally wouldn't even acknowledge Ruthbridge..once Caboot pass it to the next desk (Ruthbridge) you can be assured its coming to the end of the cycle.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Andy, if it was just me then they can call as much as they like. I have a call blocker which is probably

stuffed with their phone numbers over the years.

If i do actually pickup then they wont get far with me.

But the wife worries and will always think they can come in and take everything.

LATE EDIT:

For the cost of a stamp, it may put a stop to them.

Its been a long time now,

and i have probably mentioned when it first happened we didnt know what would/could happen.

Phone calls at all hours of the day and night,

text messages to the house phone which came through at midnight and then repeated if you didnt pickup within a couple of hours.

Cards received with a stamp saying we have a parcel and call to redeliver.

The email address i used for banking was then suddenly hit with a ton of SPAM,

Websites offering cheap TVs etc.

Registered to someone that worked at one of the debt companies.. Coicidence?

I think not.. Chinese guy?

I had letters from virtually all the debt companies...

Thanks everyone.

and if they really could they'd issue a claim......

I doubt they are behind any of the other stuff you claim...

simply the fear the portray to debtors ....

time to wise up the mrs and get complaining to the ICO/FCA/FOS etc

no good sitting upon evidence that they are causing harassment....

and they

100% true on the adverts for big screen TVs at discount prices, this was back in 2007 ish when they were

always doing naughty things like posting little white cards saying you missed a parcel and to call

to arrange redelivery. Yet it had a stamp in it. Someone did mention which company that was

likely to be. Something logistics?

I know i have jumped the gun a bit on some unknown phone numbers. But i am 101% sure that the

website offering cheap goods was registered to the same person working at one of the debt collection

companies. Fairly sure it was a Chinese name. Anyone remember a chinese guy working work

a debt collection company. Vaugue memory that the company being London based but the domain

registered more towards Devon?

The guy had also setup his own debt company, or another company with him named on it.

If it was just general spam then i totally agree, but the only link to the email was my CC bills and

my ISP. And that doesnt explain the website being registered to the same name of the guy

at the debt collection company.

I know its far too late to for them to do anything, just the wife worried. I said i need to post a

letter tomorrow and she worried again that it would start something off. I dont care either

way thanks to all the info from you guys.

She is in 2 minds about the letter. She said ignore them, i said are you sure because a letter

should stop them calling ever again.

Thanks, guys. Printing the letter now so she can have the choice to ignore and tell them to

go away or post it in the morning.

A big thank you.

you don't need to do anything

and i'm not sure what you reasoning behind the rest of you post implies

its spam/phishing for a mug

don't be one and respond

that's why they do these things

to gander a response

and they

I did waffle a bit..

Its just that i know what spam is like and even the most obscure email address will get some at some point,

but when my financial trouble started the spam on my credit card email address increased substantially.

And when i checked out one of the links in the email it was registered to an employee at one of the

debt collection agencies. Yes trying to trick me into contacting them or trick me into trying to

buy something which would then let them know that i had money to spend i guess.

Do i write to Cabot or Ruthbridge? I assume Cabot.

Thanks

Refer to post#12

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Andy sorry to bother you

but I am in exact same boat as deepinthewhatsit

and have just received the same form of letter asking me to contact ruthbridge and not cabot

just so I am clear are you advising to contact Cabot only and not Ruthbridge or advising to ignore the letter altogether and nothing more will come of it???

sorry to have jumped on the bandwagon and

I am honestly not wanting to hijack the thread

but I am in such a similar situation and I just dont want any more annoying letters or having to block anymore phonecalls from these blood suckers.

TIA

Dave

dave best to start a new thread

dx

and they

• 1 year later...

is to start a new thread

of your OWN please

dx

and they