• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

1st Credit/moon beever stayed claim - HBOS Credit Card - lifted stay now at DQ help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thank you very much indeed in advance for any help anyone could give me as I am VERY worried I am going to end up with a large bill / CCJ I have no way of paying.

Completely out of the blue around 6 weeks ago I received a letter from "1st Credit " based in Reigate saying that they were going to apply for a " stay " to be removed on a court case for a debt they were chasing me for back in 2015.

This relates to a credit card that I opened in Feb 2000 (!!) - the last payment towards the debt of £25.00 a month I paid back in Nov 2011 !!!

1st Credi thought the debt on 18th Nov 2013 and filed a claim against me around the end of 2014.

I defended the claim and asked for a copy of the terms and conditions of the agreement , copy of the S76CCA 1974 termination notice , a copy of the default notice and finally copy of the legal deed to assign.

Although I was under the impression I had successfully defended the claim it looks like it was just " stayed ' and 1st credit have now successfully lifted the " stay " and consequently I have been sent a " directions questionnaire " that needs to be filled out and a copy sent to 1st credit !!!!

It also looks like 1st credit have managed to find term and conditions of the card , copy of the assignment , stament copies and also a print out of the debt - obviously it looks like they have added a " spiteful " amount of admin and obviously I shudder to think how much inters they will aadd on from nearly 20 years ago !!!

Interestingly it looks like they haven't provided a copy of the default notice or termination notice that I asked for ??

My question is - firstly is there anything I can do - is there other information they SHOULD have given me and haven't - also is it a legal requirement that they give me this documentation when chasing the debt and where is that stated ??

Apologies for such a long post but I really am worried - these companies really are incredible - they must have bought this debt fo net to nothing and are clearly determined !!!

Once again many thanks indeed for any help / advice.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly stop panicking and hopefully this time you'll follow the advice given and comeback to CAG and tell us what happened

Unlike your last 2 threads....

Can you post up the defence that you filed

And scan up what they have sent in return to your CCA/CPR requests you sent

We also need their particular s of claim

What date is the hearing please?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Many thanks indeed

As it stands there is no hearing - I just have a questionnaire to fill out which i really need to do tomorrow as it needs to be done by 2nd May and I think I also need to send them a copy.

My defence was as follows "

Dear Sir,

I have no knowledge of the alleged debt - I have spoken to and asked 1st Credit to supply the following information which they have failed to do.

A copy of the original agreement

A copy of the terms and conditions as applicable at the time of the agreement

A copy o fS76 CCA 1974 termination notice

A copy of the S87 CCA 1974 default notice

A copy of the legal deed of assignment showing your right to take action.

Thank you for taking the time to read my defence.

At the time they sent nothing and as I say I thought that was the last of it but apparently the case was " stayed "

They have now managed to get the " stay " lifted.

The documentation they sent me ( and I assume they gave copies to the court which is why the court agreed to lift the " stay " ) were :

A printout of the payments I have made since the credit card went into default - I paid nearly £2K

A letter from the Halifax saying they have assigned the debt to !st Credit

Stemming of my credit card from 31st march 2000 - 20th May 2002 - interestingly it contains PPI !!!!

Terms and conditions of the credit agreement

Not sure if it is relevant but there are no signed copies of any documentation ??

Many thx again

good

can we have the poc from the claimform please

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sorry - I clearly am not very good at explaining this !!!!

There is no clim form - just a " general directions order " that states that the application to lift the stay has been granted.

Then there is a " directions questionnaire " that I have to fill out and send copied to the court and first credit.

It look like i could have appealed against the " stay being lifted within 7 days " which obviously has now passed -

I assume once I fill out the questionnaire I will then get a court date ??

Don't worry about the explanation, we're here to help. :)

Can you post up an anonymised version of the general directions order please? Hopefully with that, people can advise what to fill in on the DQ.

But as dx has asked for the POC on the original claim form, that could be helpful too, please.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thx so much !!!

The directions order essentially says that the application to lift the stay and for general questionnaires to be issued is granted.

I don't have a copy of the original claim form - that was from " moon Beever " - 1st credit now seem to have taken over - I can only assume they have bought the debt ??

1st credit are a debt buyer [the claimant]

moon beevers are their solicitors [the claimants solicitors]

need to see the original claimform please

need to know what you defended against

where is it?

and they

I quite well aware how the process works

but we need to know what you defended against.

else when/if it comes to disclosure stage you'll be firing arrows in the dark.

go ring the court tomorrow and ask them to send you a copy of the claimform.

what is the debt

when did you take it out

who with original creditor

when did you last pay it.

the stuff they have sent you

you need to scan it up to ONE MULTIPAGE PDF

follow the upload

did you send a CCa request

and

did you send a CPR 31;14

and they

The debt is credit card taken out in 2000 and defaulted on around 2002

I then made approx £2000 worth of monthly repayments

- the last one being Nov 11

- I sent a CCA and heard nothing

I then got a county court claim around end of 2014 which I defended

- I thought that was the end of it but clearly it was just " stayed "

- 1st credit are now saying that they have all the information that i asked for

however they have only sent me some of it ( if that makes sense ? )

I will phone the court in the morning

- I assume I just fill out the questionnaire and say that I want a hearing and it cant be settled by mediation ??

Thx so much again

quite safe to fill out and return the n180

yes to mediation. rest is obv

you'll need to scan up all what they have sent you to ONE MULTIPAGE PDF PLEASE

follow the upload

who was the original creditor please

and they

" I then got a county court claim around end of 2014 which I defended "

Then you must have a copy of this which contains the particulars of claim...otherwise you couldnt have submitted a defence ?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

probably filled it the defence and sent the whole thing back or sent it to the claimants solicitor

its amazing how many people don't read the instructions and do that..

dx

and they

• 2 months later...

Thx very much again for all your help.

As discussed above 1st Credit have got the " Stay " lifted and a trial date has been set !!! Quite scary !!!

They have sent me a WHOLE bundle of documents - over 100 pages !!! However what is interesting is that at the start of the bundle they enclose " A reconstituted copy of the Agreement " (!!) obviously I have no idea what this means but the first page is " Credit Agreement Regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 " and the next 8 pages are the " Halifax Credit Card Conditions " outlining charges etc etc.

What is interesting is that there is NO document with my name / address or copy of my signature on it - just what looks like a " standard " list of terms and conditions ??

The bundle then has photocopies of all past statements - it then goes on to say that " a copy of the default notice is unavailable " (!!!) but encloses other documents showing that " no further interest and charges were added ..... as evidence that the account was no longer active "

It then goes on to show that I made payments towards the debt of £25.00 a month on and off for 8 years (!!) and the last payment was received on the 18th Nov 2011 with the balance left at £1464.76.

It then shows a letter of assignment as well as requests for payment etc.

Finally , it says that I ( the defendant !!!!! ) " relies wholly on a technical defence to avoid liability and his conduct throughout these proceedings have been unreasonable and not in the spirit of the CPR ... " it then goes on and refers to a case " Rankine v AMEX C.T.L.C 195 " It then adds around £750 of more costs !!!!

Aside from the irony of this company saying that my conduct has been " unreasonable " despite the fact they have bought this debt for probably £30 and are claiming the best part of £2500 on a debt from 2003 (!!!) i the fact that there is no default notice OR copy of a signed document with my name / address etc on it enough for me to win the case ???

Clearly they must be pretty confident to have gone to all the time and expense of lifting he original " stay " and obviously if this goes wrong for me not only am I going to be left with a HUGE bill ( incidentally of which I have no way of paying ) but will of course encourage them to do the same to similar debts ??

What would really help me is if there is a link to any paperwork / documentation a DCA HAVE to provide and any relevant laws associated with them ???

Apologies for the length of the post but I have tried to provide as much information as possible and as ever any help would be gratefully appreciated !!!

we need to SEE their witness statement inc all the exhibits.

follow the upload

we also need to SEE the defence you filed as we need that to construct your witness statement.

you need to file it 14days before the court date

which is?

and they

Many thx indeed - the witness statement is over 100 pages !!!

I haven't got a copy of my original defence but essentially I said I had asked for documentation that they hadn't provided and therefore the caee was stayed ??

Is there a link somewhere which shows the documents that the HAVE to provide ??

I am also reading that as its a pre 2007 agreement then a " reconstituted copy " of an agreement is not sufficient is that the case ???

The trial date is 21st August but I have asked for it to be moved as I am on holiday - they also need copies of my documentation sent to them which is why I am trying to find out what documentation they SHOULD provide ??

Thx SO much again.

Defence was posted at post#3

What are the dates on the directions contained in your Notice of Allocation lobster ?

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Hi Andy - I need to send my docs back to the court / 1s credit by 21st July

And your witness statement......I have never seen a civil claim for money which has a witness statement at 100 pages...normally its 3 with about 14 paragraphs?