• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Parking Eye ANPR PCN - mistyped reg number? - Britannia Adelphi, Liverpool

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1827 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am the RK of the vehicle and received a letter with a parking charge.

I have had two previous PCN's from a long time ago when the advice was always to ignore, which I did and subsequently heard nothing off a host of 'solicitors' that sent out begging letters.

I think I'm right in assuming after reading many threads the situation has changed because of POPLA and the POFA?? situation in 2012 says I now as the RK have to disclose who was driving

as said I am the registered keeper.

My partner was the driver.

She stopped in the above carpark,

tells me she paid for a ticket after entering the reg number in the machine and displayed the ticket on the dashboard. She has used this carpark a few times.

we're suprised to get the speculative invoice and hoped for some advice on how to play it

Many thanks

1 Date of the infringement....10/4/17

2 Date on the NTK [this must have been received within 14 days from the 'offence' date]...14/04/17

3 Date received...20/4/17

4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012? [y/n?] YES

5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? YES

6 Have you appealed? {y/n?] post up you appeal] NOT YET

Have you had a response? [Y/N?] post it up N/A

7 Who is the parking company? PARKING EYE

8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] BRITANNIA ADLPHI, LIVERPOOL

sorry I should also have added that on ther back of the letter it says...

On April 10th the vehicle entered the car park at 9:58 and left at 11:03 (!hr 05mins)

This is 'backed up' by photographic evidence on the front of the letter.

I asked the better half if she'd maybe just paid for the hour,

because judging by other threads you are allowed a 10 minute overstay as per BPA,

but she says she paid for 2 hours

so probably entered the wrong reg number or missed a digit

well this is another case of PE's ANPR system not being fit for purpose.

read the other threads here concerning mis-typed reg number anpr.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Just to clarify, you have absolutely no obligation to name the driver.

Any appeals, correspondence or ultimately a court defence should be done by the recorded keeper. This makes life just a little more difficult for the PPC and gives them many more opportunities to make a hash of the process, which will ultimately see you win in court. :wink:

As it was a fairly recent parking 'event', is there any chance at all that the pay & display ticket is still in the car somewhere?

If you have that, you've as good as already won as ParkingLie won't be able to show a loss, so would have no basis of claim.

If you haven't, no matter, it just means that it has to be approached from another angle.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Thanks for the great advice. if it had been the old car it would probably be at hand, but with it being a new car, we're trying to keep it a bit clean !

Am I naive in thinking that if I appeal on the grounds of 'new car, sorry, we put the wrong reg in' there's a chance they'll accept the plea?. Or would they just refuse the claim as would POPLA?

The house is getting a turn-over tomorrow to see if we can find it

Well, I'd be 99% sure that ParkingLie will reject any appeal you make to them, there's no profit in allowing appeals :|

POPLA is more likely to allow an appeal, but even that can be a bit of a lottery at times. Some you win - some you lose. Of course, the bonus of POPLA is that you cost ParkingLie £27 to issue you with the code, and the BPA a few more quid on top of that. I think it still holds true that each case that is decided by POPLA costs around £150 (ParkingLie & the BPA, not you)... So it never hurts to hit them in the pocket a bit.

To be frank, POPLA are unlikely to just take your word for it that the driver bought and displayed a P&D ticket, but might be swayed by the incorrect reg entered, it happens!

Even if POPLA decide against you, ParkingLie would have to take you to court to even have a hope of actually getting any money out of you, and that opens up a whole new can of worms for them. If you lose at POPLA and ParkingLie go down the court route (which is the usual form for them), then you can demand to see their evidence. As long as the driver paid, this will prove that...

Let's say 1,000 cars used that car park all day, 999 cars were recorded by the ANPR system and then subsequently purchased a P&D ticket, but 1 vehicle registration was used in the car park to buy a P&D ticket, but the vehicle itself was never recorded entering or leaving the car park.

That 1 vehicle would be yours, which would prove that the driver did buy a P&D ticket, but that the incorrect registration was entered by mistake and therefore there could have been no loss to ParkingLie or the landowner. :wink:

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

POPLA have their hands tied so they can only consider things the BPA let them consider and matters of law are not on the rather short list.

There is plenty of precednt law and previous cases where it has been shown that a fee paid and the wrong reg entered is still a valid payment because their system has an errant payment for a car that isnt there.

They know this but would rather you pay them £100 than nothing so wont tell you that they have the details actually punched in as described and no ANPR for that vehicle reg.

so do you appeal

if you word it carefully it wont hurt.

Look at other threads on this subject,

there was one yesterday that a poster referred to the case precedent on and look at the Parking Pranksters blog and you will find others.

you can then appeal quoting these and say something like

"the driver paid the prescribed fee and entered a car reg that may have been incorrect by error.

Strict proof of a breach of contract is requested before the monies claimed will be considered so I would be obliged if you can send me the details of the reg numbers of all of the vehicles that entered the car park after my vehicle and before my vehicle left and note the registration numbers of any that were entered into the payment system but do not correlate with the ANPR capture.

As I am sure that you will then find the disparity and that will mean their is no cause for action under the decision of (name the court case that set the precedent) you will cancel the demand for payemnt ref XXXX"

that will at least give them notice that you have tried to settle this properly and make them look stupid if they then decide to continue pursuing you.

Many thanks for the excellent advice.

I am going to appeal to private eye sending this...

The driver paid the prescribed fee and entered a car reg that may have been incorrect by error. The driver had only that week recieved the car. The driver has used this car park many times prior and has since.

Strict proof of a breach of contract is requested before the monies claimed will be considered so I would be obliged if you can send me the details of the reg numbers of all of the vehicles that entered the car park after my vehicle and before my vehicle left and note the registration numbers of any that were entered into the payment system but do not correlate with the ANPR capture. I am sure that you will then find the disparity and that will mean there is no cause for action and you can cancel the demand for payemnt ref XXXX

...is there anything that could be added, or is this ok?

no, dont send that,

you identify the keeper and driver as the same person.

I would start off by asking the landowner to cancel the claim first by explaining to them what has happened if you had business there.

Let them know that they stand to lose a lot of goodwill if they dont intercede.

If you didnt have business there other than using the car park as P&D

if that is the case then appeal to PE

but stick to the facts at the moment,

the driver paid the prescribed fee

and may have inputted the wrong reg details.

as PE claims to have a 15 point checking system before they issue a NTK

you wish that they revisit the correlation between the ANPR and the payment machine log and

it is likely that this will show up and should have been noted before the NTK was sent out.

As the prescribed fee was offered by the driver and accepted by the machine

it is denied that there was breach of contract

and this position is agreed by the BPA code of practice and case law.

I look forward to the confirmation that the charge is cancelled.

you ask for all of the information they hold if they refuse to cancel rather than at the beginning.

Many Thanks, appeal sent by email and worded as suggested.

They wanted my email address and telephone number and to tick a privacy box.

I n/a the telephone number. give a nonesense email address, but there was no way i could get around the privacy statement

Should have been by writing now you given them a free mode to harass you

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Should have been by writing now you given them a free mode to harass you

Indeed, but you can have a little 'fun' with email :razz:

I emailed DRP once using a freshly created email address which also used an auto-responder.

If they replied via email to that address they would have got 1,000 copies of their own email,

plus a 2Mb attachment to each response returned to them.

I don't know if they tried it or not, but if they did I'd have loved to have seen their faces as their email system went into meltdown :lol:

well you came back here first before doing anything IF you get a claimform!!

dx

and they

there is case law on this

so try a google trawl for it or look at the Parking pranksters blog and list of important cases on his website.

You shoudl find references to it. Excel v Hetherington- Jakeman is a good one to start with but there are others.

When you have read a couple and got a bit fo confidence

you appeal to them and say the circumstances are the same as Ev H-J (or whatever)and that they should cancel their claim as it is doomed to fail and just waste people's time if they take the matter further.

POPLA see the law differently so you will lose there and that may embolden the parking co so let them know that it wont end at POPLA

Cheers people, I have had a read regarding case law and found the Parking Eye v Heggie case one that is about a mistyped registration number.

I am intending to send this letter, please advise if it needs any changes. Thanks

"I am not prepared to pay this PCN. The fee for car parking was paid on the day

I have told you the driver has inputted an incorrect registration number and that should you check your system, you will see this to be the case.

The Parking Eye v Heggie case law set a precedent and should you persue this unjust charge, i am more than prepared to go to court.

This is simply an error that can be resolved without wasting people's time"

the Excel one was at a higher court so use them both.

English law has strange terminology so persuasive decisions and precedents crop up a lot but they are not case law.

make your letter less aggressive

(unusual for me to say this but you want to persuade them tat it isnt worth their while to chase)

something like

"the driver paid the prescribed fee and inputted the VRN but in hindsight it appears that the wrong VRN may have been used.

Your system will have identified this otherwise no NTK could have been issued.

The matter is amply covered by the decision of Excel v Hetherington-Jakeman and PE v Heggie.

No loss has been caused by the driver's inadvertent error so no material breach of contract has occurred.

It is requested that the invoice number XXXXXX be cancelled as there is no realistic chance of you winning a court claim on this manner and any such claim will be vigourously defended"

Lets them know that you arent going to roll over but less in your face

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again for advice...

I have today received notice that they have rejected my appeal (LOL) and they have issued me a 10 digit POPLA code.

So I'm guessing I send the previous replies to them and reiterate my stance that the fee was paid so there's no breach of contract and that i am more than happy to go to court

for POPLA

the first thing you ask for is sight of the contract between the landowner and PE that assigns the right to PE to enter into contracts with the public and to make civil claims in their own name.

you can then use the argument that the fee was paid and the conditions of the contract were adhered to and so no material breach of contract has occurred.

There is a case precedent for this so look it up and quote it