Utility Warehouse - Unexpected horrendous international roaming charges!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On holiday in Thailand,

I kept my phone in flight mode throughout my holiday, or used hotel wi-fi...

. Except for one inadvertent internet session in a restaurant three doors from my hotel

lasting, at a guess, approximately 30 mins (thought I was still connected to hotel wi-fi,

nothing on the phone to tell me otherwise

until a text message arrived to tell me the cap of 50 euros had been applied, for which I was grateful).

Annoyed that I'd spent £40 unintentionally, and cursing myself for a fool, I put the phone back into flight mode.

Needless to say,

when the bill arrived

(from Utility Warehouse, but I suppose it could be anybody) it wasn't £40...it was £754!

I put in a complaint and the response is to reduce the charges to £300, which I actually think is quite reasonable...

But I thought I'd see what others think before I accept - any ideas?

On holiday in Thailand,

I kept my phone in flight mode throughout my holiday, or used hotel wi-fi...

. Except for one inadvertent internet session in a restaurant three doors from my hotel

lasting, at a guess, approximately 30 mins (thought I was still connected to hotel wi-fi,

nothing on the phone to tell me otherwise

until a text message arrived to tell me the cap of 50 euros had been applied, for which I was grateful).

Annoyed that I'd spent £40 unintentionally, and cursing myself for a fool, I put the phone back into flight mode.

Needless to say,

when the bill arrived

(from Utility Warehouse, but I suppose it could be anybody) it wasn't £40...it was £754!

I put in a complaint and the response is to reduce the charges to £300, which I actually think is quite reasonable...

But I thought I'd see what others think before I accept - any ideas?

Think you might want to ask for more information about the data usage and the rate for internet in Thailand under your contract.

I guess the text about the 50E cap was based on you being within the EU. Then afterwards it was worked out actual cost in Thailand and the EU area cap did not apply ?

What is for sure is that it is a rip off, as it did not cost very much to transmit your data.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

ask for a detailed itemised bill. Despite the horrendous amount it cannot be said that you were unaware of the possible costs of data use there as you had switched your phone to flight mode most of the time.

Most of the charges wont relate to what you actually downloaded but all of the silent apps that are tied to the operating system and thes bite your bum really hard. that is probaby why they ahve dropped the demand down to £300. They cant avoid paying the Thai comms providers (and govt) so a limit as to how much they can write off.

You have admitted that it is all of your own doing so be polite but insist on seeing and knowing everything about the bill