Asking dealer to pick up faulty car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2558 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a car in December, and found it was faulty the day after purchase. It had several issues and it turned out it was unsafe to drive for more than one reason. I sent a letter of rejection to the garage, and in that letter I told them they needed to pick up the car as it's not roadworthy at all, or we would hire a company to tow it back to their garage at their cost. They flat out refused to accept the rejection, so we took it to the card issuer, who has just approved our chargeback. We have kept the car unused in the driveway while waiting for this decision.

We now need to get the vehicle off the property. We're moving thursday, and I really doubt the landlord wants a broken down car in their driveway until the garage decides they will pick it up.

Because we stated we would hire a company to return the car if the garage didn't do it themselves, do I need to inform them again, or can we hire a tow company to collect the car and instruct them to bill the garage? Or do I have to send a letter all over again, telling them to pick it up?

HI and welcome to CAG.

Just gut instinct on this. You can try to ring them but record the conversation (you don't have to tell them this) and if they refuse to collect tell them that you will bill then for the recovery.

Alternatively, send one email (as time is very short) and try and get a red receipt. If no response, arrange a tow truck but you will have to pay. You can then sue the company for the money.

Make sure that you have kept all your correspondence with the company to show you have tried to return the car.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I suggest that you get at least a couple of independent quotes any work or transportation that you have done. Send them to the garage by recorded delivery and give him seven days. Tell that you will be using the cheaper one.

Given an opportunity to do the job himself but telling that after seven days then you will return the car at your own expense and sue him for the money if necessary.

I suggest that before the car goes that you photograph it and that you go along with the car and when it is left at the garages premises, that you photograph it again so there is no funny business about the fact that it arrived scratched or dented et cetera.

I suggest that you send the quotes as part of a letter before action so that you don't waste any time.

Seven days after he has had the quotes and not cooperated then soon in the Small Claims Court. Don't hang around. It sounds to me as if you have already been led by the nose. It shouldn't have been going on this long.