OneCall Insurance - Farce

FoxyMutha
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2530 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A bit of advice would be appreciated with the following -

Took out policy online with OneCall

Documents were requested as usual to be uploaded to my policy portal

I have 2 "claims" on my policy

The first is a non fault claim for which I have the paperwork to confirm this from the then insurer. I uploaded this document and subsequently held calls with OneCall to confirm that this document was received, read and understood. Also to confirm that this particular "claim" would not affect the agreed quoted price of my policy.

The second is a windscreen replacement which I was advised at the time would not affect my claims record.

I could not find the insurer at the time of the windscreen replacements details and therefore explained to OneCall that I would hunt down the info and then share with OneCall. I requested the date and the vehicle reg (I have a couple of cars both insured in my name), so I could hunt the details down asap. They could only share with me the year - which was a start.

It proved that the time limit that OneCall was pushing on me to find these details was not enough for me to confirm as OneCall started pushing cancellation notices on me.

I requested some guidance from OneCall on how I could contact the central claims database and request all the details held about me to resolve this sooner. I was advised to write to the Motor Insurers Bureau, send the fee and I would receive this info. Which I duly then sent off as advised.

On the last day OneCall had given me before the cover expired, I was on the phone (I called them as I knew I had to resolve) I explained the situation that I did not have the details of the windscreen replacement, so to keep me insured I said please continue to cover me and I accept any additional charges for the claim - and asked what these were.

The agent on the phone said they were not sure if they could do this as the policy was due to expire at midnight. You can imagine I immediately asked why, please explain, please transfer me onto someone who does know and can understand how to resolve this. None of the answers to resolve came.

I also confirmed if the agent could see the first uploaded document - to which I now got a no - we havent received it. I uploaded again whilst the agent was on and she said that she wasnt receiving it but did have issues with her pc. I asked her to log on to another PC or indeed ask a colleague to help. None available.

I was told however that due to the technical issue of them receiving documents and they could not answer my request of just insure me with the oe claim (until I can confirm and share later down the line) that the insurance would indeed not expire overnight.

I was told that I would be contacted in the morning to confirm and resolve one way or the other.

The next day came. I did get a call. I missed it. I did return the call soon afterwards (I was working) and then got cut off whilst we were discussing my account. I called back - no answer - had to jump back into my meeting at work.

Called again same day and they confirmed that my insurance was cancelled as I had failed to provide the documents. Quick recap - one set of docs were confirmed to be received - plus I had 3 successful docs uploaded from their website over the period of doing so.

The second set I didnt have but said please insure me with knowing I will accept a claim on file until I can resolve.

Insured with someone else. Done.

Next received docs back from Motor Ins Bureau. Nothing in regards to claims are recorded. Just the years and vehicles I was.

Next I receive letters from OneCall Debt Recovery demanding £246.41 saying that they will take this amount from the card used to take out the policy. Which I had to cancel the card as I had 48 hours from which the letter landed to when it would be taken.

Cancellation charges -

Insurance Cost 1,751.89

Charge for time on cover 293.42

Broker charges during the policy term 39.00

Discounts applied to the policy 74.74

cancellation charge 55.99

Total cancellation cost 388.41

Amount paid (deposit) 142.00

Balance 246.41

Shortly later I have received another letter which includes an additional £25 charge for a handling fee. Balance now £271.41.

7 days to pay or court enforcement action will be taken. The letter is dated 13th April.

The original cost for the quoted and accepted insurance was 950.00...

How would I deal with these incompetent bandits?

Cheers!

Cancellation charges -

Insurance Cost 1,751.89

Charge for time on cover 293.42

Broker charges during the policy term 39.00

Discounts applied to the policy 74.74

cancellation charge 55.99

Total cancellation cost 388.41

Amount paid (deposit) 142.00

Balance 246.41

Sorry, maybe it is good to other people but it's not clear to me.

I don't understand this list of charges.

Are you saying that you've already paid £1751.89 p insurance cost? Or was that a quoted cost? I don't see how this squares with the £950.

Also, you say "insured with someone else. Done" – what you mean by this? Are you saying that you have managed to get insurance elsewhere?

I don't really understand how much you paid out so far.

Maybe you could just spell it out a bit more simply.

I suppose also that you don't record your calls so you don't have any evidence of the conversations which you have had

Apologies - hope this is a little clearer -

Total cost for cover when originally took ou the policy was £950 (annual)

When the cancellation letter came through the charges were

Total cost for cover £1751.89 (annual)

Charge for time on cover £293.42 (% of annual charge for the time of cover until it was cancelled)

Broker charges during the policy term £39.00 (onecall fee thats been added for cancelling)

Discounts applied to the policy £74.74 (not sure what they mean by this)

cancellation charge £55.99 (onecall fee thats been added for cancelling)

Total cancellation cost £388.41 (all costs incurred for time of cover, plus fees as above)

Amount paid (deposit) £142.00 (this is the amount I paid as the deposit to start the cover)

Balance £246.41 is the fee that OneCall require from me

Also yes - I have managed to get insured with another insurer

No I dont record calls - although will look how to do that right after sending submit. Although I did ask because the conversation was so ridiculous were they recording our calls. The answer was yes.

Does this help? Let me know cheers

Please monitor this thread for a fuller response later or tomorrow.

However, you can never rely on companies to provide recordings of conversations were those recordings may be prejudicial to them.

You've been here since 2011 and you should be recording your calls as a matter of course.

Read our customer services guide and implement the advice there. Although it's a bit like closing the stable door now

Appreciated - I have indeed been a member for a very long time - I dont always make enough of a habit to log on and keep myself 1 step ahead

Will go to the link - appreciated

Thanks for coming back to me

The £1751 is based on not having the full claims info, so it presumes no or less discount.

The £246 is the balance due from start date to cancellation date and includes relevant fees e.g cancellation admin charge.

One of the reasons for my sticky post on this site, don't arrange insurance online if you have had claims, is due to the problems you have run into. When you arrange cover using an online portal, you provide the claims info, but it does not always check it against the CUE database. You have then sent some info, but the windscreen claim was missing. Not all Insurers report claims info to CUE anyway and a windscreen is unlikely to be reported. You really need to keep full records yourself of all claims during the last 5 years.

One Call have a poor reputation, as witnessed by the volume of complaints you will see online. They don't seem that bothered about it, as people rarely seem to obtain satisfactory resolutions.

You need to send a formal complaint letter explaining that the customer service received was so poor, that you will not be paying any amounts they think are due. Explain in full the problems you experienced. They should have told you to contact the windscreen company for the claims info, as normally you just phone Autoglass or Nationwide to sort out replacement glass and not the Insurers.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Understood.

For the past couple of years I have had the documentation from the previous insurer who state that the claim I did send the requested documents for, was a non-fault and the claim of the cost was zero, as I have encountered this being recorded on my record when insuring in subsequent years.

I do also have my no claims documentation which is 6 years at the current count. I also sent this as requested to OneCall. Who confirmed receipt.

The second claim I have zero knowledge of (as have never been involved fault or non fault in any other accident). This is why I requested any info so I could resolve.

The CUE database you mention, is this where I could request the details of accidents from - as I am struggling to find where I can collect details such as these which concern myself?

The only other "claim" I could think of was the windscreen - which I did get Autoglass to fit. Apologies this may have been vague in my initial explanation.

However I will also try Autoglass actually to see who I was insured with at the time if they can provide me another clue to resolving.

Co-incidentally the next insurer experience was great and they didnt report the "other claim" as being recorded.

I'll write the letter now as suggested...hopefully I'll get some middleground at least. Thanks again

Yes the 2nd claim could be windscreen and Autoglass can tell you the date, which might well match what you were told. If it is not windscreen, then try to track back which Insurers dealt with, using CUE if necessary.

CUE claims underwriting exchange is not always complete and does not contain much info. The only way you can obtain details is a subject access request to CUE.

When Insurers check your claims info, they are checking the dates first to see if what has been declared matches.

Suggest you make up an Insurance admin folder and keep everything for 5 years.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

On your very excellent advice of sorting out my paperwork (I have a file that is busting open thats been on the "list" to do for ages, I have found the paperwork from National Windscreens, which does indeed match the date of the "claim" on record for which I could not find the paperwork for.

It states who the insurer is and also the Insurance Invoice No with my payment of the excess at £75.00.

How do I remove this from being a "claim" thats recorded and has/is causing me a world of pain and additional costs :(

On your very excellent advice of sorting out my paperwork (I have a file that is busting open thats been on the "list" to do for ages, I have found the paperwork from National Windscreens, which does indeed match the date of the "claim" on record for which I could not find the paperwork for.

It states who the insurer is and also the Insurance Invoice No with my payment of the excess at £75.00.

How do I remove this from being a "claim" thats recorded and has/is causing me a world of pain and additional costs :(

It is not recorded that way. it is just simple data. They look at what you declare and compare data. They also look at the no claims proof which might be a renewal notice that lists any actual accident claim, as well as fault or non fault.

I would not trust One Call to have communicated with you exact helpful information. Had they been helpful, you would have solved it pretty quickly.

You just declare the information as you know it.

Accidental claim on x date non fault for a value of £x

Windscreen claim on x date ( with a few insurers i believe it can affect no claims, so you might say it did not affect no claims)

If it matches whats on CUE, then no problem.

As far as i know, windscreen cover is a separate cover that some insurance give out for free, some charge £10, but it doesn't affect the claim and it's not considered a claim to be disclosed.

My understanding is that it's similar to breakdown cover: we don't consider a breakdown a claim, even though we call the insurance company.

Am I wrong?

BTW, I had dealings with one call for a non fault accident and they are truly incompetent: They more or less ignored all solicitor communication until they received a court claim and capitalize.

Were they thinking that the solicitor was just joking???

Incompetent bunch.