• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Argos - refunded faulty machine, but want to give Gift Vouchers for report i paid for?

Laskin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2532 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Perhaps someone can guide me on this matter.

I bought a Washing Machine and in less than one and a half years it became faulty.

An engineer tested it and said it is a manufacturer's fault and I should claim. I contacted the retailer, gave them details including DATE OF PURCHASE, that it was tested and found to be faulty.

They told me to get an independent report, which I did. That report agreed with the first one, faulty machine.

They agreed to refund the purchase price, plus the cost of the INDEPENDENT REPORT which THEY ASKED FOR, but not the cost of the first one.

I pointed out they were at liberty to accept the first report, but that they chose to GET A SECOND OPINION. Consequently, I expect to be reimbursed for BOTH reports.

I kept on disputing their responses. After many refusals of my claim for reimbursement, they agreed to give me GIFT VOUCHERS which I believe may force me to spend it in their shops.

I feel that they should reimburse me in CASH. The amount is £25.00.

Any advise on this please ?.

Thank you.

Laskin :-)

Well of course, you're absolutely right. They should reimburse you in cash for all of the losses/expenses which have been incurred as a result of this.

However, I think that it is in your interests to reduce the problem as far as possible and this means that you should certainly set about arranging for the replacement machine to be delivered and also to receive the cost of the second report. After that, you can argue the toss about the cost of the first report.

Who is the supplier? I have to say that you seem to have done very well and to a certain extent I asked myself whether it is really worth the bother of causing a huge amount of trouble for £25 cash when they are offering you vouchers instead.

In the same way though, I do wonder why they are making such a song and dance about £25 worth of vouchers when they've already paid the majority of the money.

It seems to me that somebody at the supplier has decided to stick on a point of principle even though it is very insignificant stuff.

Are they refusing to give you the replacement and the second report on condition of you accepting the vouchers?

Thank you BankFodder for your reply.

Firstly, they asked me to come in and select another machine up to the value as replacement. The one I chose would take weeks to be delivered, so I asked for, and received a refund.

I was reimbursed for their requested INDEPENDENT REPORT.

It is the £25.00 I am insisting that they refund as well. I told them that instead of requiring me to get the second report, I could have put them in touch with the FIRST ENGINEER who would confirm the findings of Manufacturer's Fault. So it was solely their choice, and that the people in Customer Service should be given a FLOWCHART so as to identify when a product fails within or outside of warranty and therefore falls under not of Merchantable Quality. In other words since I gave them the date of purchase and what was wrong with the machine a flow chart would identify that that component failed too early.

I am not very good at this. I am just using what I feel are appropriate words to get my money back. I do not feel they should use Gift Vouchers to force me to give the money back to them.

I intend to reply and say that 'without prejudice' to their offer I am going to take it further. Can you please, if possible, confirm I can rightfully require Cash ?.

Thank you again.

For the knowledge of those on the site: Because I collected the machine from the store, when it became faulty I had to return it myself, otherwise they would charge just under £16.00 to pick it up from my house. If they delivered it at time of purchase, it would not cost me for them to collect it.

who is the retailer?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...